Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtjjdc

Perennials and Annuals

jtjjdc
15 years ago

I have a long 40' long by 7' wide mixed perennial and shrub border. I need to tuck in some bloomers for mid July so my questions are: 1. What perennials do you love that bloom mid July?

2. What annuals do you plant in your mixed borders (for continual bloom) that don't take much care? (deadheading)

Thanks for any imput.

Comments (5)

• marricgardens
    15 years ago

Here are a few I have.
    Perennials: Veronica spicata-blue, Coreopsis, Daylilies. I like plants with variegated foliage to so I put in 'Golden Tiara' Hosta and 'Fire and Ice' Hosta.
    Annuals: I try different ones each year. I put in calendula, 'Topknot' Balsam, Malva, Lavatera, and 'Prairie Sun' Rudbeckia.
    This year I will put in some penstemon and 'Moonbeam' Coreopsis. Marg

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

In order to answer your question I went to my computer and looked at pictures I took in July. These are what are blooming in my yard in mid July (from the 7th to 20th)...

siberian irises
    tall bearded irises
    campanulas (Cherry Bells, Elizabeth, Bernice, Kent, Peachleaf and Sarasoto to name a few)
    lilies, pot, asiatic and LAs
    peonies
    coral bells are in full bloom
    perennial potentilla
    feverfew
    daylilies
    dianthus
    gaillardia
    rudbeckia
    roses
    creeping sedums
    clematis
    cactus
    shasta daisy
    sempervivum
    hosta
    jacob's ladder
    monkshood
    lychnis
    lamium
    Japanese iris
    martagon lilies
    masterwort
    spiderwort
    heliopsis
    alliums, eg. drumstick
    veronica, eg. Incada, Evelyn, spicata and Sunny Border Blue
    veronicastrum virginicum (Culver's root)
    delphiniums
    monarda
    phlox
    astillbe
    mother of thyme
    nepata
    sea holly

To ask me which perennials I love to see bloom. ALL!!!!

I do not plant annuals in my perennial beds. Annuals, here are only along the one edge in my vegetable garden and otherwise, only in containers around the walkways and on the deck.

Brenda

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

Perennials- late blooming peonies, some hostas, california poppies, dianthus and sweet william, and painted daisy to name a few

Annuals- I am never without loads of marigolds of all shapes, sizes and shades of orange, yellow, gold, white, cream, bi-colored and red. I also plant lots of them in with my vegies to keep bugs away and attract bees. The blooms last a long time and can be very dramatic. I also LOVE snapdragons in every shade and size as well. They are also very easy to keep looking good. The more you cut them, the more they bloom. All they ask for is water and soluable fert. once a month. Both marigolds and snaps are frost hardy and bloom here in Edmonton till well into October in a mild fall. They are easy to start from seed and are widely available as bedding plants. And can do well in part sun.
    Hope this helps.

Ginny Garden

• jtjjdc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank-you to all that replied. I'll add whatever I don't have. Some that were suggested, I find bloom either earlier or later in my gardens than the time I want. Could be just my location, sun/shade etc that makes the difference. Thanks for your imput--I appreciate it.

• redpeony
    15 years ago

When I looked back through my pictures I realized that mid July is a hit or miss bloom time for me. 2 years ago I had a ton of asiatic lilies in full bloom, but last year things were late - so not as much color as I would like at that time. I think this year I will plant a few more annuals just to fill in the lag time between some of my perennials. In my garden, the best perennial bloomers for mid July were hardy roses, Tall Bearded Iris, gernanium Rozanne,and Astilbies. As for annuals I had Dahlias that were started indoors, and Spotlight Rudbeckia that was also started indoors.