Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elderberry success?

Posted by AllThingsGreen81 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 13:09

I am nrand new to the forum so please forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere. Has anyone tried growing elderberries near Saskatoon? I live on an acreage 30km east of the city. The homestead is very sheltered with lots of mature trees but our windbreak surrounding our small field (where I have started our "orchard") was only just planted this past spring using seedlings from Indian Head.

I am just curious about whether I should give it a shot. At $20 a shrub it is a bit more money than I would like to just throw away. I'm barely comfortable paying $5 a plant for seedlings from the university plant sale.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elderberry success?

Do you mean the red or the black? Do you just want the shrub or edible berries?

o

I am interested in edible berries. I would like to make wine and preserves out of them.

o

You might want to add your plant hardiness zone in your page so we can help better, looks like about zone 2b.

The best is the black, hardiest, Sambucus canadensis, Johns.
I grow this one and harvested some fruits the first time last fall, ripening out is a problem, even for my climate.
Some pictures in this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Favorite Bush Fruit

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here