Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Retro Planter

Laurie_z3_MB
17 years ago

Ok guys, what do ya think of my retro planter?

{{gwi:727582}}

I think this would look so cool with hens & chicks, and little sedums hanging down. And bonus, the drainage hole was already provided!

Here's a top view, if you haven't figured out what it's made from already. Mind you, maybe some of you are too young to remember these? ;^)

{{gwi:727583}}

'Fess up, how many of you have a few of these kicking around the house you could make planters out of?LOL And btw, I wouldn't try baking your CD's in the oven to get the same effect. :0)

Laurie

Comments (13)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Get down girl, that is so groovy!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

>:O Don't you dare try that with my Led Zeppelin collection! (very cute BTW)

• Pudge 2b
    17 years ago

>:O nor with my old Alice Cooper vinyl!

Good grief, I'm vintage, LOL.

Is the bottom photo the same as the first? The bottom photo looks like the printed part is raised up, as if it were molded over something taller, leaving the centre intact.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I will NEVER be doing this with my old Beatles and Moody Blues albums! Perish the thought!!!

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

I was at an auction sale last summer and a box of LP's like that sold for over $100.00. Not sure I will be making planters out of my collection.

Cheers Al

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My goodness, you guys are a bunch of die-hard rockers!LOL

Pudge, the second photo is the same as the first. I just took out the plant and took a pic from the top. All you do is place the record over a clay pot and I stuck it in the oven at 175* for about 4 minutes, until the sides drooped as far as I wanted. Setting it on an upside down clay pot ensures that the bottom will stay flat, but I suppose one could always experiment with different shapes too. I got the idea when I saw a program on recycling old LP's into bowls. This one artist had made a machine to heat and mold them into perfectly round(not wavy like mine) bowls. It looked really neat. They never mentioned how much he was charging for these bowls, but I can imagine!

I just figured that this way I could actually get some use out of this old K-tel record.......especially since I don't have a record player anymore. I was thinking of doing the same to my Andy Gibb and Shaun Cassidy albums, or does anybody want these?!LOL

• savona
    17 years ago

A much better use for old records then letting the men folk use them for target practicing at the gravel pit :-(..that should work for making bird feeders etc..savona

• Crafty Gardener
    17 years ago

Can't part with my Beatles or Elvis records, but I certainly do have some that could be made into various items. Need to experiment with this.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just finished planting it up.

I plan on having it as the centerpiece on the dining table on the deck. Hopefully the sun won't melt it back to flat again!lol

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Looks good, Laurie!

Brenda

• prairierose
    16 years ago

That is so cute. I think I have some K-tel style Christmas albums around somewhere - I'll have to give it a try.
    Connie

• savona
    16 years ago

It has turned out very nice Laurie..savona

• delgirl
    14 years ago

If you live in the UK you will remember Blue Peter, and when I was a child (Born 1954!)they showed you what to do with old LP's then.No need to put it in the oven and make a smell either.
    All you have to do is boil the kettle, fill up the kitchen sink and put the LP in the water. It softens quite quickly and can be re-dipped when necessary. I've just done a few at home and when the vinyl is soft it can be cut with scissors and bent up that way. Also, when soft, put a bowl under the vinyl and bend it over, and re-shape by pouring boiling water over it.Now all I lack is imagination to think of unusual designs!!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living