Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydaisy_68

Need some help planning containers

CrazyDaisy_68
18 years ago

I have not had much success with containers and I would love at least have some decent ones this summer. For the most part they seem to frizzle out on me and the plants don't seem to thrive.

First off, which soil would recommend?

Which combinations are your favourite?

Comments (54)

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Julie and Sharon have given you great ideas.

I also reuse my last year's soil. I refresh it by adding more slow release ferlilizer, a little garden soil, and maybe more water crystals. I buy the crystals in the pet food section. They come in a 4 litre jug in the cat section and most people use it in the cat litter. MUCH cheaper than buying in small containers in the plant nursery.

One of the pots I like planting in the spring is placing cannas in large pots and planting nico plectranthus around the canna. The nico fills out the bottom and over the side while the canna comes up the center. I get a lot of comments on those planters. Or just a large pot filled with nico. I take 2 large pots inside in the fall and take many cuttings off them during the winter for the next year's planters.

So many plant ideas for containers are available. If the soil is fertilized somehow whether by slow release or another way, you water them regularly and the planter is given the right amount of sun your planters should look great.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

I will have to have a look at that link as well.....

I use Pro Mix for my planters and I only fertilize every second week...with either 20 20 20 or 15 30 15......and only water every second day, if needed...we have water restrictions here.

For the barrels I use soil from my veggie garden which consists of top soil, peat moss, steer manure, and tons of compost........I take out about 1/3 each spring and replace it with fresh compost.....dump the whole thing into the wheel barrow and give it a good mix and take out the old roots. For the others fresh soilless every year....

The other planters dumped in the compost pile each fall....makes for great compost as well.

For plants.....everything goes.....well keep in mind the size of the mature plants.....but I just mix em up.

{{gwi:727631}}

{{gwi:727632}}

{{gwi:727633}}

{{gwi:727634}}

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    18 years ago

Mmmmmmm! I was waiting for someone to post pictures! Those are beautiful, bright containers, Sierra! :)

I've done some nice containers in the past, but i've also created some lousy ones! Sometimes you think a combination will work and it just falls flat. Other times, i've tried to crowd a little too much into a container, or not watered it enough, that sort of thing. Julie's pot-in-pot idea is great, and VRgirl's idea to use the cat litter crystal things is a good one too. Regular watering is a must because a container will dry out fast, and i fertilize every couple of weeks at least - more with petunias because they're heavy feeders.

We'll have to remember to have a container thread in the gallery this summer!

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Wow great containers Sierra! I have only a couple of small items to add - I love cedar planters because they don't dry out as fast as clay or even plastic IME, and they don't break if you leave them outside.

I also found a great planter a couple of years ago that was ceramic covered with wicker - the wicker actually seemed to keep the ceramic cool in the sun and it was one of my best containers - until I forgot it outside and it broke. :( Here it is with oregano, thyme and rosemary in it...

And here is one of my cedar cactus trough (and, alas, the broken side of the wicker pot)

Some plants that are tried and true in my containers are lobelia, gazanias, million bells, various herbs, brachycomes, and sweet potato vine (which is overwintering wonderfully as I know you have all been dying to hear hee hee)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Gotta love all these great tips! Definately will be looking into those water-crystals for sure.

Sierra, I love your colour combos! They are great!

Marcia, a container thread would be a great idea.

I spent almost all night on that Proven Winners site and all I can say is WOW. If my containers look 1/2 as good as those I would be thrilled! They are fantastic. My head is swimming with ideas now. I fell asleep thinking of combinations to put together and when I woke up my first thought was of pretty containers! LOL Yah think I've got spring fever?????? Maybe ????

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

{{gwi:727637}}
    Ricinus communis ÂImpala Castor Bean, Stipa tenuissima Ponytail Grass, Nasturtium majus Strawberries And Cream, Ipomoea batatas 'Blackie' Sweet Potato Vine and Brassica oleracea Osaka Red Ornamental Cabbage.

Think textures when you do your containers too, I like to try something different each year, but I think I might do this combination again this year in my whiskey barrels. Right now I have 2 whiskey barrels, but will have additional 4 more this spring. Hubby's brother was able to find a good deal on some whole barrels that will need to be cut in half.

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Here are a few more....

blooming bags.....I am doing 10 or 12 of these this year.

{{gwi:727638}}

Fuchsias.....have 6 of these every year

{{gwi:727641}}

Just a large pot that a scrub came in...that I had planted up.

{{gwi:727642}}

barrel....

{{gwi:727644}}

Sierra :-)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Northspruce, we were posting at the same time! I love your ceramic/wicker container... to bad it broke. I love your herbs together. I have some seeds for herbs that I tried doing indoors and they never really thrived. I should see if they will still sprout for me and give them a try this summer! Do you find that the lobelia peters out by August? We got a wonderful hanging basket from our realtor when we moved in here -- red geranium with blue and white lobelia -- it was gorgeous until about August and then all I had was the geranium (which has been overwintered for about 4 years now!)

I am for sure going to get some Sweet Potatoe Vine this year. Awesome that it overwinters well. Coooool!

Sharon! I just love that whole picture but that container is very dramatic! I see what you mean about texture. I had a package of ornamental kale in my hands the other day and put it back thinking I had place to grow it (I've got my flowerbeds planned to overflowing already! LOL) I think you've just changed my mind about that. I'm looking forward to seeing what you plant up in those whiskey barrels.

Sierra, your arrangements look like bouquets! I also really like the blooming bags. Very nice.

I've been going through my list of seeds for wintersowing and re-organzed them by colour/size/bloom time. Between all these great ideas and my new list I am 'seeing' combination that I not otherwise think of putting together. I can see me "re-planning" my flowerbeds again too! LOL The joy of arm-chair gardening. LOL

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Sierra, can you grow Fuchsias or what! I remember you posting that photo before, itÂs the most blooms on a Fuchsia I've ever seen! WAY TO GROW!

Ang, just be warned if growing Ornamental Cabbage or Kale is that cabbage worms and flea beetles love these plants. I usually dust them with Rotenone Insecticide every 2weeks or so that they wonÂt look like lace ;)

One annual container plant that I highly recommend is Bidens, Proven Winners carries a couple varieties, anyway, this yellow daisy plant goes with everything, I love mixing them Blue Wave Petunias or Blue Verbenas.

I guess it was 2004 that I used this combination in the barrels ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Ang I just LOLed about Lobelia dying out... yes by fall it does usually die out but this is from heat and/or drought and I have proof. This year we had a cool, wet summer and my lobelia was covered in flowers all summer and right into fall... and in mid-November when we finally got a heavy snowfall, I was shoveling the step and uncovered the lobelia, still with blue flowers and green leaves! Now *that* is a half-hardy annual!

Barrels are great... gotta get me some... wow Sharon you sure got it right with that barrel! I remember it still. Question though, your Blackie SPV looks rather different than mine - almost a philodendron looking leaf. Is that just the angle of the pic? Mine are shaped like a deep lobed grape leaf. The yellow and blue are great together too. I was trying to remember the name of Bidens.

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Good eyes, yes, you are correct Gil, 'Ace of Spades' comes to mind, I think I bought 2 plants from Holes in Edmonton that year, I should of saved the tubers ;)

I also just noticed that I had planted a 'Purple Majesty' Ornamental Millet in there too, you can see the plumes just peaking thru the castor bean.

Sharon

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL about the lobelia, Gil! I would never have guessed it was THAT hardy! I kept eyeballing seeds for them the other day but ended up putting them back... I may need to revisit that idea. Probably between the water crystals and the cooler summers it will do great for me too. Hahaha, do you hear me? I'm **planning** for a cooler summer again and watch us get a heat wave!

Sharon, thanks for the heads up about the Ornamental Cabbage/Kale. Maybe I'll avoid it until I have less little ones around (lots of younge nephews and nieces/friends with babies) that stick everything in their mouths!

I do love that Bidens. So bright and cheerful. Yes, I can sure see how that would go with alot colour combos.

Can you suggest anything that gives the same effect as grasses without being a grass? We just found out that our oldest DD is allergic to a huge list of grasses. I love the wispy texture it gives though!

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Sharon those contains are beautiful! I found one on the proven winner site that has bidens that I am going to try....bright and color plants.

Sierra

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Oh no a grass allergy? That's no good! I think a spike of dracena might give a grassy effect... some would say it's overdone but I don't mind them if used right.

• savona
    18 years ago

Inspiring planters everyone...I have a great source of beautiful weed free top soil that is on the peaty side I used water retaining crystals in the soil in some of the planters last year but usually dont even bother...I am careful not to let the planters dry out..
    I have an old wooden cheese crate that i planted with 2 rain daisys and one purple petunia..that was the wrong ratio..this year I will do 2 purple petunias and one rain daisy..the daisies choked out the poor one petunia...lol..
    {{gwi:727649}}
    red dahlia with white datura,gazania and petunias
    {{gwi:727650}}
    petunias,pansies,lobelia and nemesia
    {{gwi:727652}}
    and I have to include my friends seed drill planters..we buy certain seeds together and I start them while she comes to help when I need her..we planted up her planters toward the end of May and this was taken the middle of July,these are petunias.nemesia.lobelia and schizanthus
    {{gwi:727654}}
    savona

18 years ago

Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Where's that bubble?? Savona, drag that whatever-it-is in there, please! It's gorgeous!

Marcia,
    counting the days till spring

• valleyrimgirl
    18 years ago

Love the seed drill planter!!

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Savona, absolutely gorgeous! I too grow Spring Flash African Daisy every year too, another plant that looks great in combinations!

Tell your friend that I love her seed drill planter, what an creative idea! What I've been looking for awhile now at auctions sales or farm yards is either an old buggy or an old pick up truck from the 30-40's so that I can fill the back with tons of petunias but so far no luck or they want too much ;)

Can you suggest anything that gives the same effect as grasses without being a grass?
    Two that I can think of right now are Amaranthus, Zea mays var. japonica Ornamental Corn and Pennisetum glaucum ÂPurple Majesty Ornamental Millet.

Sharon

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Well, Pennisetum is also a grass...but otherwise, very nice ideas for possible substitutes.
    The problem, I guess, is that grasses are wind-pollinated, and it is the pollen that some are allergic to. I did a quick search and this characteristic appears to be common to all grass families, unfortunately for your containers. Well, you could cut out the flower heads as the anthers become visible on the flower heads, before they start shedding pollen...
    You could get a similar effect to some grasses by substituting something like acidanthera in a container - the foliage is not as fine as most grasses, but it would lend a nice upright effect along with beautiful and scented flowers. Gladiolas might be very interesting in a planter too.

Well, if you had nothing against using perennials in a planter, a division of siberian iris would provide a similar upright effect. At the front of a planter (because they only get to about 1' max), blue-eyed grass (Sisyrinchium spp., which is in the lily family, not the grass family) would also be interesting - easy to grow and easy to come by, with pretty starry little blue flowers.

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Hmm, maybe I should add a comment before the fallout hits...
    Sharon, I do realize that you are probably suggesting fountain grass, Pennisetum 'Purple Majesty', because it is considered 'sterile' (actually, 'rarely sets seed' is the way it's described by Darke). However, with plants that produce infertile (or 'rare') seed, it doesn't necessarily follow that they do not produce pollen.
    (The attached site makes a note of the yellow pollen of 'Purple Majesty'.)
    So, a beautiful plant, but perhaps not for grass pollen-allergy sufferers, unfortunately.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting link re 'Purple Majesty'

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

That's ok Lori, I believe you, no fallout going to take place unless you want to ;)

I agree, just cut off the plumes, the leaves will still make an interesting plant.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Savona! WOW! Gorgeous planters. I love that seed drill planter especially. Talk about inspirational or what??!!

Sharon and Lori, thanks for the "substitute" suggestions. I did buy some Amaranthus 'Velvet Curtains' seeds the other day but thinking that they would get too tall? Maybe not then! I loved the purplish foliage on that one especially. I'm glad to hear that 'Blue Eyed Grass' is not really a grass because that's been on my wish-list for a while now! My largest container (so far) is about 1 1/4' diameter (give or take).

Great idea for the irises! I have an older clump that needs to be dug up and divided anyways. I always love the look of the foliage in the garden.

Definately loving the Acidanthera! I just did a google search on it and WOW is it ever pretty.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Yeah seriously those are beautiful Savona. Love the soft colours in the seed drill. In the first pic, is that pelargonium a "Skies of Italy" or "Mrs. Henry Cox"? Or something else? I used to have one like it.

• Pudge 2b
    18 years ago

Those are all beautiful containers. Sharon, you know how I love that barrel combination - I've commented on it before, it's just super.

I actually wanted to make a comment on the grass substitute and my first thought was wheat or oats. They, too, have pollen but not the fine dusty stuff like grass does and they're not in the grass family. Easy enough to cut off the bloom stalk if it would still present a problem. The oats in particular would probably look pretty cool with those dangly seed heads.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the further suggestions! Sounds like cutting off the bloom stalk would be a good idea either way. I also have a younger daughter that also has allergies (but not yet been tested) so I'm trying to keep the problem-causeing stuff down to a minimum.

My oldest DD is also allergic to dandylion so imagine how hard its going to be!

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Wheat and oats are actually grasses too, as are cereal crops in general. Given that they are wind-pollinated (which is characteristic of grasses - wow, wonder if my 6th grade science teacher would be proud of me for remembering that, LOL! - it's also the characteristic that allows them to be pollinated in huge fields without insect pollinators) I think they would present the same problem.

Crazydaisy, any chance that the allergy testing report was specific enough to define if particular families of grasses are the problem? I really doubt it (from having seen one of these long ago), but just wondering.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Savona your planters are very nice! The one you used the cut out on looks like a dream sequence. :-)

Sierra

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lori, I just looked at the Allergy Testing Record that the doc gave us and it does seem to go into some specifics.

Allergic To:

Bluegrass/CJ
    Red Top
    Brome/smooth
    Rye Grass/GIP

Two others that caused no hive:

Timothy
    Fescue/Meadow

BUT she also has allergies to Cat hair, horse dander, and gerbil hair. The "Dog" one did not cause a hive but he strongly recommended against any pet with fur (or feathers so it was bye bye birdies!) because just because she has no allergy to it yet doesn't mean she won't get one down the road. So I'm assuming it would be the same with the grasses??

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Ang, how about Claritin ;)

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Here's another combination...

{{gwi:4544}}
    Rudbeckia hirta ÂIndian SummerÂ, Gaillardia aristata 'Arizona Sun', Lagurus ovatus BunnyÂs Tail Grass, Tagetes tenuifolia Lemon Gem Marigold.
    This year thou, I'm replacing the ÂIndian Summer with Rudbeckia hirta ÂMorenoÂ.

Ang, yes the Amaranth 'Velvet Curtain' can get tall (36-48" 90-120 cm), you'll need a big pot for that one. I love this plant too, I'm thinking of using them in my new barrels this year.

Sharon

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Crazydaisy,
    Well, I'm surprised! The allergy test did state specific families! But, as you suggest, I doubt they'd test for every family of grass, so there well may others that your daughter might be bothered by.
    If you feel safe with fescues, I find the following species to be hardy and garden-worthy: Festuca ovina, amethystina, glauca, scoparia - most of these have a number of ornamental selections; the main attractions are blue coloration and/or spikey mounding shapes.
    I've also found that some native species are pretty ornamental, e.g. Festuca scabrella - a nice, short one.
    Timothy isn't really considered an ornamental, but I find it attractive - not sure if it's clumping though.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Has anyone tried an herb pot? I am wondering where can I find a large herb pot..you know the ones with the holes pockets on the sides. I have seen small ones but they will dry out to quickly. Anyone know?

Second....what would be good herbs to put into it? I have started oregano, parsley, basil, and summer savory.....

Even if I decide not to do an herb pot...I usually plant these in the garden anyway.

Sierra

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

Sierra,
    Are you planting oregano every year and pulling it out in fall? Or does it not winter over? Just wondering, since it's a perennial here.

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

I've tried leaving some of the herbs in the garden over winter but they don't make it.....so now I just pull them out every fall and replant in spring.

Sierra

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Sierra you're right those herb pots are too small. I grew basil in one last year and it dried out too fast. I've seen a giant version of the herb pot sold for planting strawberries - that might be good to try!

The really woody-stemmed herbs tolerate a bit more drought than softer ones. Rosemary, thyme and oregano are especially woody. Basil and parsley are fleshier. Dunno about savoury. I never thought of any of them being perennial since I grow them in a pot.

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Sierra,

I had a homemade strawberry pot at one time. It had an octagon shaped bottom, with side that were about two feet high. Along the sides were circler holes cut randomly and in order to water a 2" piece of ABS pipe was inserted in the centre with holes drilled in it. This would work for herbs as well I would think. I don't have it anymore as I gave it away when we moved up here so I can't take a picture for you. Remembering this is making me want another one. It would look great with million bells growing in it.

Syreeta

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

I've got a large red clay strawberry pot that I grow petunias in every year. Unfortunately, it is starting to disintegrate and I can't find the big ones anywhere. It has three levels with a total of 12 pockets plus the top part. I've seen them done with herbs and they are great. But, I also put the pipe with holes drilled in down the centre because it tends to dry out pretty quick. "One" of my many projects this winter is to cover it with a thin coat of hypertufa. I would just as soon find another one but so far, no luck. They are all smaller.

If anyone sees one, can they let me know? This one was bought at Wal-Mt about 10 years ago.

Shauna

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

These are great suggestions! Thanks.

Although the summers here never get really hot....the pots or planters have to be big enough to only be watered every second day.

Sierra

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sharon, LOL about the claratin! Yes, she will need it anyways I'm sure. Definately trying to cut back on any asthma triggers too!

Your container is very bright and cheerful with the yellows! Love it!

Lori, thanks for the further suggestions. With the fescue I guess I could just cut out the plume to be completely safe! I love that blue tone alot.

Shauna I love how you used the strawberry pot. That is so pretty.

My DH is chuckling at me lately because I am so busy planning containers already! I think I've come up with at least 50 combinations based on the plants/seeds I have. NOW I have to double check if they would all grow well together. I remember that some of the annuals don't bloom well when they get fertilized? Or does it not matter the same way when they are in containers?

I've already taken tip cuttings of lots of my house plants that I figure could make good fillers. I'm on a bit of a tight gardening budget so I am trying to use whatever I have and fill in with a few things as I need them! LOL (Forcing me to be more creative???? I can hope! LOL)

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

I never thought of using cuttings off of houseplants for fillers in planters. My Grape Ivy would make a nice filler. If you are looking for fillers similar to grass and are taking cutting of your house plants, what about using Spider Plants if you have those? If they are fertilized properly you get wonderful variegated foliage off of them. Plus depending on the age of the plant you can get tons of babies. I probably have at least 30 babies hanging off mine right now.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

What a great idea, but I'm thinking that most houseplants would need pretty strict shade outside. So many of them are forest understory plants in nature. Just a thought.

I have about 1,000 prayer plants - hmmm they might be nice with some begonias...

18 years ago

Gillian, WHERE would you keep 1000 prayer plants?????

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Ok ok ok... I exaggerated. I have 4 pots of them and have given away several more over the years. There's usually about 10 babies at any given time that I can pick off and pot up. They seem to like it in my house.

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Gillian,

What do you mean babies on your prayer plants? I have one with red veins on the leaves that hangs, the other is variegated in shades of green and is upright. The only way I could get more plants would be to either divide or to take cuttings. Are we thinking of the same plant? I'm just curious as I'm always looking for interesting house plants.

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Ang, yes itÂs important to check the individual nutrient needs of your selected plants and try to group them according. I know Petunias are indeed heavy feeders and love their weekly dose.

Orange Begonia, Spider Plant and Blue Cascading Lobelia make a great combination for the shade!

Sharon

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sharon, yes I am definately going to have to re-study the combos I dreamed up! LOL I was just going by colour, shape and height. I guess the only way to have plants with different needs in the same container is to leave them in the pots and hide the pots with moss or something like that. I'm remembering my mom doing something like that!

Never thought about the houseplants needing more shade because they are all in my south-facing window and do fine in the summer sun. But then I guess it is still that much darker in the house compared to outside. I do have plenty of shady areas that need some pretty containers though! My backyard is North facing and we want to dress-up that back patio this year. Should be fine there.

I am going to have to bug my SIL for a cutting of her spiderplant. That sounds like a great combo Sharon!

So far I have cuttings of a Goldfish Plant, a Pink Polka Dot Plant and loads and loads of Ivy.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Hi Syreeta, the prayer plant I mean is Maranta leuconeura `Erythroneura', the one with red veins that hangs. After it blooms (little purple flowers), it sends out long squiggly wiry things that form babies just like a spider plant. Maybe it only does it when it's very healthy &/or mature.

I used to have a Maranta leuconeura `Kerchoviana' which is the all-green one that people call bunny tracks, it was never very vigorous and I think it got root rot and died. It never made any babies for me.

• SeaOtterCove
    18 years ago

Gillian,

I'll have to mention the 'babies' to my Mom, both of our plants flower but we have never had babies off of them. We've always taken cutting off the plants when we want a new one. My green one is in a pot where you water it from the bottom. It doesn't do as well but it gets less light as I have it on a table in the middle of the house. I don't have enough windows for all my house plants. Last count I think I had around 60 different ones.

Syreeta

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Sorry to be so off topic but I posted a pic for you in the gallery Syreeta. :)

• sierra_z2b
    18 years ago

Since I came back to this thread to see what taller plants were used, I thought I should bring it back to the top. Its kind of connected to the thread that I started today about taller plants for the middle of planters.

Sierra