Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberries/Raspberries/Blueberries

Posted by posie z3 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 08 at 13:47

Good Morning ! Gosh the temp is clear up to 20% above F.We must be having a heat wave ! I'm wondering what varities of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries that all of you might be growing and how are they doing? Do you mulch in the winter? Thanks for your replies. I grow Ogalla strawberries and Boyne raspberries and North Country blueberries.None of these seem to freeze without mulch but the deer love the strawberries and the raspberries run all over the place. I transplanted the blueberries two years ago and they didn't seem to like that transfer. They were alive last summer but that is about all they did, was live. We'll see what happens this coming summer. Summer is coming ???? (I hope!).Is anyone growing Saskatoon's ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberries/Raspberries/Blueberries

Strawberries for many years Ive stuck with Kent I had also grown Ogalla, a very good tasting berry, though a bit soft and more prone to rot in my often wet summers. The snow cover here is pretty reliable, so for many years have not bothered to mulch them, but a patch can really be hard hit in a snowless winter!

I dont know the name of the old variety of thornless raspberry that we grow, but it sure is a heck of a good one!

I had given up on blueberries, as theyd often winterkill though, now in my new location and having a much more protected yard, I might try them again, maybe?

Saskatoons, I really love the flavor of Smoky

Terry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here