Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Petunias from Seed - Which to Choose

nutsaboutflowers
9 years ago

I've never grown petunia from seed yet, but would like to try.

Veseys sells Great Lakes Easy Wave, and Ramblin Razzleberry Mix .

They're similar looking. I'd like a nice full hanging basket or two. Which would maybe perform better in windy full sun?

Comments (15)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    9 years ago

Why not both? :)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

I was gifted a few 'easy wave' and 'ramblin' seeds. I would say for containers the wave will hang more. I also remember the ramblin series shutting down faster when not dead headed. I hate dead heading petunias!

And wow they are still charging an arm and leg for those seeds. I hope they are pelleted for that price!

SCG

9 years ago

I'm pretty sure most are pelleted.

I did have ramblin' a few years ago but don't remember anything about them. I'm terrible at upkeep for my petunias and i'm really going to have to limit my containers. The ones in the big container on the deck get done because that's where i sit with my morning coffee!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

nutsaboutflowers ... below is a link that shows all sorts of petunias on a rating scale. Expensive cutting grown plants often outperform those from seed, though some do hold their ground in comparison.

This is 'Bubblegum', it's an all time best performer on the ratings scale and certainly holds true in my garden! It blooms its head off for the entire season without petering out and shows very good rain tolerance and no deadheading whatsoever. I just lift one or two plants in October and pot up and store over in the cold room and then bring into the warmth in March and take cuttings. I'll be heading to my local greenhouse as soon as it opens in the spring to pick up a few more very highly rated varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trial Gardens

9 years ago

That's beautiful, Terrance! Several years ago, I kept a petunia over the winter and did the same thing, though I don't have a cold room - just kept it going all winter and took cuttings in the spring. I should try it again.

I see you have the variegated heliopsis too. I love mine. :)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

Thanks Marcia ... and, yes, petunias are very easy to keep over the winter and one can save lots of money by producing your own plants from cuttings.

I love heliopsis and have many different kinds. I now have a tray of seedlings growing in the south window from seeds collected from 'Venus'.

As for seed grown petunias, I've been eyeing 'Trilogy Purple'.

9 years ago

NAF, FWIW Stokes seeds is much cheaper. For a couple bucks more you get twice as many seeds. Now if you don't need that many I would be happy to split the order with you. Just give the amount and I will toss it in a SASBE... I can't resist seeds.......

SCG

9 years ago

I'm thinking of Burgundy Velour paired up with Silver Wave. Haven't had the Silver Waves for a couple of years now - time to grow them again.

9 years ago

Twrosz those petunias are great! How long do petunias take to root from cuttings? I am wondering if I picked some up early in the season if it is worth propagating for more?

Thanks

SCG

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

SCG, petunia cuttings will root in about ten days, just pop into a good quality mix and tent and keep in bright filtered light. Last year, in late April or early May, I picked up three varieties of double wave petunias. I selected strong well branched plants I was able to obtain several 3 inch cuttings from. I later grew the young plants on with plenty of warmth and nutrients to bulk them up as fast as possible.

9 years ago

Thanks! I never thought of rooting those expensive ones till now.

SCG

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had no idea that petunias cuttings were so easy. I have limited space indoors by the time I plants my veggies, so maybe I'll give that a try this year.

I don't need any rooting hormone??

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

No rooting hormone required. Just careful take the cuttings using a very SHARP thin blade that cuts cleanly through the fine stems, crushing the ends will result in failure. Then, carefully pinch or snip off the bottom leaves, (don't pull and rip them off ) and insert into the ProMix and tent and place in filtered sun. If the mix comes moist from the bag, then give only a slight watering in ... overwatering will quickly lead to rot.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome. I think I'll try that :)

And.....probably a few from seed. Comparisons and experiments thrill me. Success or failure is secondary.

Thanks everyone.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    9 years ago

It's fun to experiment, trial and error is what gardening is all about.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?