Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Trimming Advice Needed

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 7, 13 at 13:50

One of my unbeloved Schubert Chokecherry Trees is in need of trimming again this spring.

When it was smaller, I left three main branches as it didn't give much privacy without the extra foliage and branches. It's now bigger and I should probably correct the problem I created. (Or just cut the stupid thing down and replace it. That may give me even more headaches as the previous owner planted it quite close to the gas line)

With three main branches shaped like a three pronged fork, I'm asking for trouble, as it causes weakness, correct? The outer two are about 7 inches in diameter. I should cut them completely off this spring and the main trunk will continue to branch out further won't it? Or have I created a narrow tree for myself?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Trimming Advice Needed

I hear you..
Perhaps taking it out and grind the stump,..wouldn't that make you happy?
Not sure if the remaining roots will shoot up one's in a while?

Cutting off that branch should work also, I find they readily shoot out from the trunk but need to be patient a couple of years.
I find chokecherries are prone to grow branches as you say
[three pronged fork], I have tied some down when young,
I might not worry too much,..if left alone, because they seem to be very strong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here