Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posie_gw

Hope Someone will answer!

Posie
16 years ago

A couple weeks ago I asked you folks what varieties of Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries or saskatoons you were raising. I really am interested in knowing as I'd like to try some new varities. Thanks.

Comments (12)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Someone did answer your post, I was hoping more people would weigh in because I'm interested too! I used to have two varieties of raspberries (before I moved) and I don't know for sure but I think one was Boyne.

Strawberries - don't know what kind I have, blueberries - don't have any, saskatoons - don't have any.

There are a few of us around who grow honeyberries (similar to blueberries)... when the search engine is working again you should be able to find a thread on them. They might be fun to try.

• greenlove
    16 years ago

I grow Northline and Smoky Saskatoons. Apparently they need each other to produce. Only my 2nd year, I'm expecting some fruit this year.

I grow the ever-bearing strawberries. They do great with a net over them to keep the birds off. We've enjoyed juicy berries right up until snow!
    Kate

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

The only variety of strawberries that I know I have is Kent. The raspberries were here when we moved here, so I don't know the variety. Blueberries don't tend to do very well in the alkaline soil here in the prairies, and the saskatoon bushes that I did plant got a dose of weed killer by my DH by accident....grrrr!

• glen3a
    16 years ago

I have Tristar strawberries, which is a day neutral variety (something about producing all season long.) The taste of a sun ripened and warm strawberry right off the plant is incredible.

As a side note, I think someone on the other post was mentioning snowcover playing a factor in strawberry plant survival. I would have to agree. My Mom had plants in the country and they survived most winters, but died out during a mild winter where the snowcover kept melting off the garden.

Glen

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

Not to be repeating myself, but I have copied and pasted my comments previously posted ...

Strawberries  for many years IÂve stuck with ÂKent  I had also grown ÂOgallaÂ, a very good tasting berry, though a bit soft and more prone to rot in my often wet summers. The snow cover here is pretty reliable, so for many years have not bothered to mulch them, but a patch can really be hard hit in a snowless winter!

I donÂt know the name of the old variety of thornless raspberry that we grow, but it sure is a heck of a good one!

I had given up on blueberries, as theyÂd often winterkill  though, now in my new location and having a much more protected yard, I might try them again, maybe?

Saskatoons, I really love the flavor of ÂSmokyÂ

Terry

• prairierose
    16 years ago

I can't be a lot of help. I know my saskatoons are the Smoky variety, but strawberries and raspberries ? The strawberries are "from the first house my brother bought in Calgary" 20 odd years ago, and my raspberries are "from Mary Lou down by the lake", so neither one is readily available! They all do well, especially the strawberries, which I mulch quite heavily for our winters. Raspberry production depends on how much winterkill I get. The saskatoon production varies depending on when the last frost is, and whether blight is bad in any given year.
    Connie

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

For my 2 cents here.
    Raspberries on our dry prairie acreage we grow Boyne and also a few Honeyqueen (yellow). I have 2 rows about 6' apart and have over the years gathered leaves in spring or fall from folks in the city and filled the pathway between. The last seveal years as it has rained some we have had very good crops.
    Strawberries do not do well here as we just do not have enough water to keep them. What I do have are a very old Junebearing called Protem which came from Beaverlodge.
    Blueberries are just in their 3rd year this spring and I just don't have the names handy but they are hybrids with the tall and short varieties.
    Saskatoons - well here we have a number and it really does not matter which they are as the birds get every ripe berry. I made the mistake of planting in a single long row so it is impossible to net them. Best berries by production seem to be Martin, but we also have Thiessen, Honeywood, and Pembina. Maybe this year I will try to net at least some!
    I am also getting into the Edible Blue Honeusuckle as a bit of a breeding/selecting program and have a number of seedlings, cuttings and plants. I think this is a good small yard fruit plant which could easily replace the blueberry for our dryland and high alkili or non acid soils. This is a plant that should be allowed to grow 4 - 6 shoots and then kept well pruned at the base.
    I also have Nanking Cherry which is probably the most under rated eating cherry.The big issue is that from seed they are quite variable and you need to select a couple of good ones for flavour and even ripeness and discard the rest. It makes great jelly and my wife even makes pies with the pits in. The only time you can spit at the table at our house! The plants need to be pruned well in the spring by my experience so you get rid of many of the shoots. I took mine down to 5 to 6 stems and had several which still produced a good 4 litre pail or more each. I see T & T advertises a large fruit type of this and there are blacks and whites available as well. They take very little space if cared for.
    One of the problems with us gardeners is that we forget what we have planted and even if we have a good variety it really does not help the novice grower. I would check with a local garden club or Horticultural Society to see what people are growing. Good luck! It will soon be time to plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog with links

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Clayton, do honeyberries actually do best in alkali soil or are they just tolerant of it? I ask because I live on the only patch of silty acid soil on the prairies (exaggerating of course) and I'm wondering if I would do better just planting blueberries.

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

Well the original plants found in the wild are understory type and also grow along rivers and in bogs. From what I have heard and read "tolerant" is probably the better description. To my knowledge they are too new in cultivation here to really get a good handle on the extremes of soil type. Seems to me with the new hybrid blueberries you would want to try them anyway. Check out some of the ones listed at the link. They are available as I have 2 of them but not sure which and as I said above I am trying them under/near my spruce trees for shade and the needles for acid.
    The Blue Honeysuckles coming from DnA Gardens should be good in your area as also the varieties from the U of S which will be marketed through Prairie Plant Systems and others.
    I am waiting for word from T & T about the source of their new "Polar" series as my understanding is these are renamed Russians. Most all of the material in the US (patented by the way) are Russian varieties renamed for the North American market. I have wondered if the plant developers got anything for their work but that is another discussion!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cold Hardy Blueberries

• cmmwiebe
    16 years ago

By the way that was not an endorsement of Gurneys but for information.

Clayton

• posieh
    16 years ago

Thannks everyone ! I wanted to try some new varieties.

• ayceezone3
    16 years ago

I have grown Souris raspberries for years and am very satisfied with them. They are exceptionaly tasty. My friend told me they are hard to find. She found them on Holes web site(Edmonton)They ship plants as well as have a garden centre.