Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collin001

Hybrid Oak?

Collin001
12 years ago

Hello I have a bit of a dilemma. I had the opportunity this fall to pick up some acorns which were lying on the ground. The tree itself was unusually straight with fairly attractive bark. It was late fall and the tree had lost its leaves.

I'm not sure whether I've picked up a hybrid oak or a filbert. The leaves are closer to filbert but the tree is definitely not bushy.

The largest of the seedlings pictured below has the smallest root. Go figure. The tap roots are enormous on these things. I was thinking the nuts never had the traditional oak caps on them. So far the leaves strike me more as a filbert than oak. The leaves are becoming more jagged by the day. Still this leaf shape is nothing like a bur oak.

The parent tree is single trunk in form. Not bushy in the least with no spindly branches. All branches are very stout like oak. I asked the owner of the property how long the tree has been there and I was surprised by the answer. Only 14 years from seed and it is hovering around 12 feet in height.

The owner complained that all the nuts germinate every year. I found that hard to believe as all the acorns I've taken over the years were sterile duds. She said 95 out of every 100 acorns germinate. I didn't believe her but played along and she gave me some off the ground. Now that all six seedlings have germinated I'm inclined to believe her.

There aren't many oaks in Regina. There are no tree type hazels to the best of my knowledge in town. The oldest trees are the watered ones by the museum and legislature. We're zone 2b so I didn't think either would grow well here. Do you recognize this oak?

Comments (17)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Collin001, was the bark of that tree deeply grooved and cork like, if so it very likely is a bur oak. Your seedling strongly resembles that of the ones I had grown out many years ago ...

Terrance

• Collin001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd have to say yes on that. The appearance of the bark was what caught my eye and brought me to the property in the first place.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

It looks exactly like a bur oak to me. They're very common here in MB. The seedling leaves don't show the characteristic rounded edges yet. They should have no trouble whatsoever in zone 2b, actually I'm not sure why they're so common here and not in SK.

• don555
    12 years ago

My feeling is that this is a burr oak. They typically look like that until they get a few more leaves. Nice trees though, I'm growing two in my backyard.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

They generally grow quite slowly and can live a long, long time. In poor soils they will become stunted and grow low and twisted, and still live a long time. In good conditions they can get quite large. I have a photo of a nice specimen in an old cemetery. Can post if interested.

• Collin001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wondered if I was simply looking at a juvenile leave pattern. I'd like to see a specimen photo northspruce. I thought about planting one of these trees at the very end of the property city permitting of coarse.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

I grow lots of them and agree with burr oak..there are some pictures in link.

Here is a link that might be useful: oak

• Collin001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Konrad, that was helpful. I'm torn between planting in the spring or leaving them grow in containers. Where I am planting will be very exposed to wind and sun and salt.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Containers would be good, perhaps for a couple of years, otherwise it could get lost being so small.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    12 years ago

Typical juvenile oak leaves.....not unique to Bur Oak but given your location, it is the most likely choice.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

In recent years, many bur oaks have planted in Spruce Grove and growing rather quickly likely due to the good soil they're situated in. The trees vary somewhat in form and fullness with a few of them being extremely attractive.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

This is the one in the cemetery. Taken in spring obviously when it was just leafing out. They often don't end up this symmetrical, this is a particularly nice one IMO.

• Collin001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a mighty big tree northspruce. Nice. I wonder how long it took to get that size.

• Konrad___far_north
    12 years ago

Yea..this is a mighty nice oak tree northspruce.
    My estimate 50 plus years...perhaps 75?

I have some now about 15 years and I see in spring when they flower that honey bees are on them, so I'm extremely pleased with this,...I never knew this would happen when planted.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

At a guess it's right around 100 years old. The cemetery was consecrated in 1910 and the tree is in the middle like it was planted on purpose - but who knows.

• Collin001
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pleased to note a third one will be up in the next day. Newer development on oldest is starting to look more like the adult leaf. I guess in all the fuss I got excited. First time growing these things after all. :) Thanks for bearing with me!

• Collin001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: All 6 came up. 100% germination. Here is a shot of what they look like in spring. Currently looking for larger containers.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists