beegood_gw

This is not fun

beegood_gw
12 years ago

-34 is just too cold for even us birds BRR. Fluffing my feathers does help

Comments (11)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Hahaha! I have a little woodpecker hammering on my suet as I type. She is surrounded by little balls of feathers! The magpies are as big as the shelties with their feathers all puffed out. I have filled the feeders for the second time today and 3 times yesterday. Poor little souls. :)

Ginny

PS Nice picture. :)

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

They're fluffed up here, too. Hairy & Downy woodpeckers, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Redpolls, and Pine Grosbeaks are all visiting frequently today, some are not even leaving.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

As long as they're getting that energy they'll be fine! They wouldn't live here if they weren't insulated properly. ;0)

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

"They wouldn't live here if they weren't insulated properly. ;0)"

Well I'm not insulated properly and I don't know why I live here...I refuse to go out today. Though I did venture as far as the bird feeders to refill. Little redpolls are eating us out of house and home, lol.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

I'm not seeing a lot of birds the last couple of days. Hope they're okay! We usually just have chickadees and nuthatches and the occasional pine grosbeaks, but a few days ago, there was a big flock of some sparrow-ish type birds (not sure what they are).

12 years ago

Well ain't we a funny bunch! Just reading back on the posts and my DH is asking me what is so funny. I just told him , "Winter in Canada".

Marcia, you crack me up! I thought there was probably no one who worried about the birds like me! I was wrong. I'm going to tell my husband, who is just as bad as me, that crocheting little coats for the birds really is "normal".......;)

Ginny

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Well of course i worry about them! LOL I haven't quite gotten around to the crocheted coats, but that doll blanket i just made for my granddaughter might work. Wonder how chickadees look in pink....

12 years ago

Lol! Marcia, I have a small hobby/business of my own creation and literally do make critter blankets. They are called Kreecher Komforters and I have made caves, tunnels, coats, blankies, and pads for almost every kind of animal someone would keep as a pet so why not the birds?

And I think "chick"adees would look great in pink! Lol!

My neighbour is leaving for Mexico at 3 tomorrow morning and all she is worried about is the little birds. She asked if she could send them all over to my place! She is even bringing over more food!

Just called to order more feed for these little guys. -36 this morning with a w/c of -48 or worse! It is -29 right now and I think the w/c is -41. I just came in from refilling the feeders and the dishes.

Stay warm everyone!

Ginny

• don555
    12 years ago

It's too cold to go out and check the feeders so I use binoculars to take a look at them from inside (an advantage of clear-plastic feeders)... I see one is still about 1/3 full and the other 1/2, so I don't have to brave going out to fill them up just yet.

• bdgardener
    12 years ago

Yesterday it took the DH and myself hours outside to get the tractor started, we had to tarp it and put a heater under it. Silly us left it one day to long. It is now residing in the shop, where it barely fits. But at least now we have happy cows and horses, lots of feed and straw down. Heat lamp is going full tilt for the chickens. I'm going to transplant some peppers this afternoon just to get my hands in the dirt. They don't need to get done, but I need something to keep me sane. Next week is looking up around here. C

• savona
    12 years ago

The last few cold days have brought in flocks of birds. The chickadees feed here all the time but now the red polls and pine gross beaks are here. Up until now our winter has been mild with lots of natural seeds etc for the birds. Thank goodness the deer and moose haven't come and helped themselves to the hay in the hayshed and prune our trees in the yard.