Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plum_er

grafting of plums

plum-er
15 years ago

hi i'm looking for good info on how to graft plums,i bought a place and it has 5 diffrent kinds of plums on the yard and i love to experment buti know nothing about plums except that they taste great

Comments (5)

• don555
    15 years ago

Grafting is kind of hard to describe in a message here, but if you google it you should find lots of info.

If you have 5 different plums in one yard, cross-pollination should be no problem, so why do you want to graft? Just curious.

• plum-er
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi don
    only one of my trees has very good plums but they all produce alot and like i said i love to experament and would be tickled to have 2 or 3 kinds of plums on one tree,i also have cherrys and how can i graft them [evans, cupid,passon and nankin]thanks

• don555
    15 years ago

I have a 17 year-old Pembina plum that I planted by a Brookred plum for cross-pollination. Alas, as is frustratingly common, the "Brookred" was mislabeled and was some crappy variety that didn't even have the same bloom time as the Pembina so couldn't even act as a pollinator. So I got only a few Pembina plums each year (could count 'em on one hand), until I grafted a branch of "Perfection" plum onto the Pembina. Instantly I started getting hundreds of plums each year. So grafting can defintely work.

If you want to get into grafting (and it's a ton of fun IMO!!) I encourage you to either take a course or at least do some serious internet or book research. The method I use is basically just to find a graft and host branch (new growth) that have the same diameter, make clean diagonal cuts with a sharp grafting knife, then tape the two branches together, seal with grafting wax, and cut the grafted section so that it has only two buds remaining. This kind of grafting must be done in early spring, after the buds have swelled, but before leaves have emerged. Other types of grafting (bud grafting for example) can be done at other times of the year.

You can graft plums to plums, apples to apples, cherries to cherries. You should even be able to get a bit more exotic, like grafting various Prunus species together, though I must say that my attempt to graft cherries and apricots to my plum trees (all from the genus Prunus) were a complete failure.

• plum-er
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think my pembina is about 12 years old and it produces alot of big plums each year but the other trees produce smaller sourer plums that aren't the best for eating so my plan was to graft some "perfection" and other bigger ones to these trees.
    I have done alittle bit of grafting on citrus trees "bud grafts" but with a very low success rate so i was doing somthing wrong. I would love to take a course but i live in the Fort vermillion area and its far north of everything and anything like that so the internet is my only chance.
    I 'd love to know where i could get a hold of some bud's or branches of diffrent kinds? and you were saying you had apricots?what kind? i'd love to try pears and apricots to see if they would survive our winter's up here.My cherry's ,plums and apples do fine, but thank's for the info do you know of a web site that you like that has good info on grafting?

• Konrad___far_north
    15 years ago

To get more detailed answers you might look over in the Fruit & Orchard forum.
    I have posted my way of bark grafting over there....link below.
    There will be a scion wood exchange sometimes in April, I will post it here with more detail when I know.
    In the meantime you can practice these cuts.
    Konrad

Here is a link that might be useful: Bark Grafting