Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Hemerocallis Daylily

Crazy_Gardener
18 years ago

Well, we chatted about Lilies and Roses, do I dare ask if any of you are planning on ordering any new Daylilies for this year?

I'm thinking of getting these, any comments would be grateful?

Bela Lugosi

Decatur Bullseye

Newberry Festival

Siloam Uri Winniford

Strawberry Candy

Sharon

Comments (150)

• savona
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Gillian..and Brenda yours are all lovely. I really like Houdini and Prairie Bells. Sierra..not sure why Strawberry Candy seems to die off on me..I've tried a couple differnt beds but I do see excellant drainage in my windmill flowerbed and everything seems to thrive in it so maybe I should try one more time up there..savona (who has heard try a plant 3 times in 3 different places before giving up)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Those DL's are beautiful Brenda!
    (writing more names down on my wish list)

Hunner did you get sucked in too! LOL, Nice DL your order!

Well Ian IÂll be a little bit more patient with my F&H order then. This order and my roses is all that is left to come in, I think! ;)

Spiders are indeed hardy for our zone, depending on where you buy them from, good advice to order them from a reputable grower who specializes in field grown and from our zone.

Last year I planted 2 Spiders, Jersey Spider and Slapstick from Parkland Perennials here in Alberta, both are coming up vigorously.

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Syreeta, Ever hear of the "Squish" method of planting hee hee...I think there should be a special forum for that. LOL! I have to redo the bed in the back...

Savona, Good Luck, I hope it goes this time for you....it sure is a pretty one. If all else fails...do the daylily dance.....flap your arms like a chicken and cluck cluck. I hear it only works if the neighbours are watching though! LOL!!!!! You might not want to do that in front of your DH hubby though...haha

Sierra (who was doing the fuchsia dance today)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Talk about great customer service, I just emailed Betty (floralandhardy) an hour or so ago about my DL's, here is what she wrote back...We are in the midst of shipping, and you are right in line  we are into the three hundreds now, so hopefully in a week or so....

I'm excited now ;)
    Sharon

• quebec_lab_border
    17 years ago

Could some one please tell me if daylilies are early to resurface or not. I planted a daylily that I bought in cornerbrooke, NF last summer. I took it out of the pot and planted it in a bed. This bed is on the west side of my house where it dosen`t get sun until about miday. I have yet to see any signs of life from my daylily however my monkshood had sprung up two weeks ago. Do you think it`s too early to give up on it`s survival.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Ricky, I have one daylily that is just coming up now. Mind you all the others have been up for weeks - but I would give it more time.

BTW, the one that is coming up now is the dreaded Edge of Brightness - hee hee - I didn't care if it came back or not.

• stumpie
    17 years ago

Just had to share. My day lilly order from Solaris Farms in WI came in this week. I am so excited. I thinned out my yellow day lillies to make room.

Elizabeth Ann Hudson
    Cherry Berry
    Antique Rose
    Melenie May

They threw in Dashing Prince as a bonus plant. I so do love getting free plants (except for weeds of course).

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

I picked up my order from Floral & Hardy from the post office today.
    They are now soaking in water before planting.

Seems that I got a lot of extras.
    They are

Siloam Baby Talk
    Siloam Bridesmaid
    Siloam Dan Tau
    Siloam Irving Hepner
    Siloam June Bug
    Siloam Rose Dawn
    Siloam Toy Time
    Siloam Peewee

I also had a number of plants with extras of some varieties. I am also happy with the size of the roots.
    They are going to have to spend some time in the veggie garden/holding bed until I can figure out where to put them all.

BettyÂs email when shipped said that they had anticipated fewer than 100 orders, and they stopped taking orders at 800.

Ian

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Holy smoke Ian, you got 8 bonus plants? How many did you order originally? Now I'm really excited about getting my order. This is better than Christmas for anticipation!lol

Laurie

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

Sorry Laurie I made a bit of a mistake. I guess I got too excited and didnÂt check until just now.
    It seems that 6 of those were substitutions.
    I originally ordered 10 plants and received 12 different varieties.
    When I checked on how many I had planted out, with duplications there are 20 plants in total.
    Ian

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Anyone get their Vivaces Nordiques orders yet?
    I haven't recieved anything at all...not even a confirmation that they recieved the order. I am starting to worry...I hope it gets here before June 17, I am going on holidays on the 20th and I want to be able to get them into the ground before I go!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's great news Ian, I'll have to check my PO Box tomorrow to see if my order came in too then. Whooohooo!

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Ian, I can totally understand your excitement! Receiving a package full of daylilies, who wouldn't get excited??!
    We only get our mail on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, so maybe tomorrow :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got my DL's from Floral and Hardy today, I don't know if I'm excited or not yet....here I was expecting a huge box but 7 in total came in a small box. I guess I'm used to the huge hand size fans/ roots that Parkland sells.

Anyways 2 that I really wanted LAKE NORMAN SPIDER and FIRESTORM (Spiders) of course were not available, so instead they sent me LITTLE LIGHT OF MINE which does retail for $98 at their website, and I guess they included this as the gift plant as well.

For sure I'll be sending them there evaluation form they sent.

Will see how they do, I've got them all soaking in the sink.

Laurie did you get yours in yet?

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

No sign of mine yet:( Hopefully on monday. I had also ordered Lake Norman Spider. I wonder if there's any hope in getting it now. I'll have to go have a look see at Little Light of Mine. Not many people I know can say they have a $98 daylily. You'll have to put it in a spot of honour ;^)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Go take a look at it, do you really think its worth $98?
    I guess I'll know by next year if and when it blooms ;)

Well if you get Lake Norman, I'll really put in a complaint ;) LOL

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I did go have a look Sharon, and it is very pretty. I thought she would have replaced spiders with another spider, but maybe the numbers are running low(which wouldn't be good for me at all!!) But I do really like the ones with the ruffled edges and borders like Little Light of Mine. Now if she sent me John Peat as a replacement, I certainly wouldn't complain!lol

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I recieved my Floral and Hardy order today. I didn't get any of the daylilies or lilies that I had wanted :( I had also ordered 4 daylilies for my mom and she got 2 of the 4 that were ordered. She got Calgary Stampede and Trahlyta.
    For substitutions Betty gave:
    Royal Braid
    Jersey Spider
    Eggplant Escapade
    Wilson Spider
    Spider Man
    Spider Miracle

She knew that I liked spiders and I don't have any of these, so I think it'll be ok.

But, on the upside, she gave me some really cool gift plants:
    Strike it Rich Pink Gem Heucherella
    Pepperermint Spice Heuchera
    Pink Lipstick Heuchera
    Raspberry Ice Pulmonaria

Well, I've got some planting to do, so I'd better get at it!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not one Daylily that you wanted Laurie, thats not very good!

I wonder if ordering very early next year will do any good, that's if I order from them again ;)

Sharon

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Well I called Les Vivaces Nordiques yesterday because I new my order most likely wouldn't get here by Friday and he said they were still filling Feb/Mar orders...but mine was scheduled to be sent the last week of June. I told him I was going to be on holidays until July 7 or so, so they are waiting to send mine the first week of July instead...I hope that doesn't mean that I won't get the ones I want!

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Sounds like they might have got a lot more business than they were prepared for! :0

Laurie that's a shocker that you didn't get any that you wanted, oh well the heucheras sound really nice! I looked up the ones they sent and they look nice too, especially the Royal Braid.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Sharon, I was wondering if I could put my order in now!lol I didn't think that ordering in the beginning of February was ordering late. But I guess they had way more orders than they anticipated. I really still want to get those daylilies that I originally ordered, and will probably order again early, and request no substitutions this time.
    The heucheras are really nice, and on the planting instructions they say that they can handle full sun. Does this sound right to you guys?

Michele, I think you should be ok in getting your order from Les Vivaces Nordiques. They've been around awhile longer than Floral and Hardy. I'm sure once F&H get all the "bugs" worked out, things will be much better when ordering from them in the future.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Hunner, last year I ordered from Vivaces Nordiques in late summer and the daylilies I got were top notch. They all did fine over the winter so I don't think planting them later will hurt anything. They dig them right before they ship them (you can tell) so it's not like they will be sitting in a warehouse.

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

I wasn't so much worried about them arriving late, I was more worried that they'd arrive just after I left for holidays and then they'd be sitting in a box for more then 2 weeks!
    At least I don't have to worry about that now.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurie, thats right looking back at this thread we did put our orders in February! I guess November/December should be a good time to order.

Heucheras in full sun, not in our hot dry prairie sun ;)
    I don't know, could be new cultivars that can take more sun.

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Well, just to make myself feel better, I ordered Lake Norman Spider and Parade of Peacocks from Vivaces Nordiques. They said they still had some of these in stock, so I am really looking forward to getting them and getting my spider collection going.

Sharon, you said you have Jersey Spider. How's it coming along? When I read the tag on mine it said it gets up to 4' tall! Wow!

And I did find some somewhat shady places for the heuceras. Hopefully they'll like their new home.

Michele, good thing you called them to find out about their arrival. Tragedy averted ;^)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry Laurie, I was meaning to reply back to you yesterday, but got sidetracked, yes I do have Jersey Spider, I haven't seen 4' yet, mind you, I only purchased it last spring.
    Lucky you, you were able to track down Lake Norman!

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You all naughty, naughty enablers! You all should be very ashamed of yourself for enticing a pathetic addict like me, flaunting all your beautiful DLÂs photos in the Gallery is like dangling a carrot in a donkeys face! DonÂt worry; IÂll get you all back someday. Revenge is easy ;)

The olÂman asked me what I would like for my birthday or would I rather go out for a steak dinner instead. I told him that I would be happy just to stay home and enjoy a nice bottle of wine by the firepit and to place an DL order with Vivaces Nordiques too. LOL

So girlfriends, yes, you did it to me again, this is what I have on order!!!
    BTW, the owner was so nice over the phone, what a nice guy!

LAKE NORMAN SPIDER
    LEEBEA
    MOROCCO RED
    OPEN HEARTH
    RED RIBBONS
    STRUTTER'S BALL
    SUMMER WINE

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Glad we could help Sharon. What are friends for?!!*grinning evily!* LOL

Nice selection. Don't know if you've checked out the daylily thread in the gallery, but my Lake Norman Spider opened today. I think you're gonna love yours!

Btw, my Jersery Spider has 2 scapes coming on it. I can hardly wait!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A birthday gift from my MIL, this is what I ordered from Cedar Ridge Gardens....I hope I wasn't too late for the Summer Sale ;)

BANDIT MAN
    BLACK EYED STELLA
    BROADWAY GAL
    CHICAGO ARNIEÂS CHOICE
    DEWY ROQUEMORE
    EMPERORÂS DRAGON
    GREEN EYES WINK
    HEARTS AFIRE
    HOT TOWN
    MAKING WHOOPEE
    PANDORAÂS BOX
    PRAIRIE BLOSSOMS
    REGAL FINALE
    SILOAM BO PEEP
    SILOAM LITTLE GIRL
    SILOAM PINK GLOW
    SILOAM WENDY GLAWSON
    (free Delivery)

Ok, spill the beans Laurie and Brenda, what did you order too? You know the RULES around here ;)

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Hehe........you found me out!

I only ordered 5;

BEN ARTHUR DAVIS
    BUTTERCUP PARADE
    PRAIRIE BLOSSOMS(has already bloomed for me!)
    SILOAM DREAM BABY
    TOO MARVELOUS

Still have 3 in pots while looking for good spots for them. I think I got too many new daylilies this year............no more room ;^)

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Okay, Sharon,...

These are the daylilies I ordered from Cedar Ridge Gardens.

BROADWAY PINK SLIPPERS
    DARIUS
    GREEN EYES WINK
    GRETCHEN MY DARLING
    LADY PHARAOH
    LA SCALA
    LAVENDER DEW
    LEEBEA ORANGE CRUSH
    PRAIRIE BLOSSOMS
    SILOAM BABY DOLL
    SILOAM PEE WEE
    SILOAM PINK PETITE
    SILOAM RAINBOW MAGIC
    SILOAM WENDY GLAWSON
    STREAKER
    TINY TUXEDO

The total cost for 16 new daylilies, field grown!!, with no shipping and handling (cause Laurie and I made an order together, causing the order to be over $100, which gave us free S & H) was....$79.00. That turns out to average about $4.94 each. Not a bad price!!

So with other orders from F & H, a girlfriend and Cedar Ridge Gardens, I now have 37 new daylilies waiting to be planted. That makes something like 200 kinds of daylilies in my yard now. Each day, as I walk through the yard, something new is blooming. I love it!!

I think that some of my daylilies (the old varieties without names) will be moved to the vegetable garden at the end of the lane to add color to that area. Then, I also need to check through the beds and see if there are multiple clumps of the same daylily anywhere. I know that I have George Bingham in 3 places for sure. Two will be leaving. Anyone want to do an exchange for a George Bingham?

ALL of my new daylily acquisitions are sitting in pots yet. Hey, at least they are potted, which means that they can be planted any time. I am still trying to catch up with business stuff, weeding, weeding, weeding and am still picking raspberries, peas and now beans. So, when Laurie comes over sometime maybe we can wander my yard and figure out where some of these new daylilies can go. What do you think, Laurie?

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

"So, when Laurie comes over sometime maybe we can wander my yard and figure out where some of these new daylilies can go."

Well, typically, I'd say "Sure, I know where they can go.......in my yard!" But I don't want to dig any more new beds this year!lol

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nice ones gals!

200 Daylilies Brenda, wow, that is awesome, my inventory is around 56 right now.

I'll have to do alot of moving and dividing too come this fall.

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I just spent an hour scrolling through the links here to see if i could identify this little guy who leaped into my arms at a local nursery today. The tag was gone and the people there couldn't recall his name. Anyone have any ideas?

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am totally impressed and so very pleased that I placed an order with Vivaces Nordiques. Fast delivery, no sold outs, no substitutions, huge healthy fans and roots and he also gave me KINDLY LIGHT as a bonus plant! They will definitely get my business in the future.

Sorry Marcia, canÂt help you, but it sure is pretty!

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Yes Sharon, I was very impressed with them as well, and they also gave me Kindly Light as a bonus!

Marcia, it's very cute, but I have no idea. What size are the flowers?

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Marcia, what about Wine Delight daylily?

I have Wine Delight and it will bloom and bloom and bloom. Mine has just started to bloom now. It looks very similar to the flowers on your picture. My flowers are about 3 1/2" across.

Yes, no?

Brenda

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Sharon when my Vivaces order came I was so excited I coluldn't wait to get home to soak then plant them. The fans and roots of mine were huge also and they gave me 2 for free...Antique Rose and Pink Pagoda.
    I soaked them overnight then put them directly into the ground and they all look fantastic. I noticed yesterday that one of them has a scape on it. I know, I know, I should cut it off and let the plant grow, but I just can't I have to see what it looks like myself.
    If I had any mor room at all, I would definitely be ordering more from them.

17 years ago

Brenda, today's newest bloom shows a distinctively yellow throat. It could be Wine Delight, but the flowers are a little redder than in the picture i took, so it's hard to say. I would imagine it's something fairly common, something that would be shipped to a bunch of different nurseries and so the name would probably be recognizeable. GIl's link has a database where you can search for daylilies by colour but there are over 1100 pages of red ones! LOL

Btw, the flowers are fairly small. I'm kind of leaning towards Raspberry Pixie, but i'm not sure about that either.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Marcia, the Raspberry Pixie is a much taller daylily than the Wine Delight. The scapes on the Raspberry Pixie would be 27 - 32" long (just measured mine) whereas the Wine Delight scapes were 15".

Wine Delight...

{{gwi:728278}}

Raspberry Pixie... it is more 'dusty' in color than the Wine Delight.

{{gwi:728280}}

Now, what do you think you have?

Brenda

17 years ago

Here's today's picture. In reality, the red is dustier, as you say. Let me post this and then compare.

17 years ago

Doesn't look like Raspberry Pixie anymore, but not quite Wine Delight. Another mystery.... :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon when my Vivaces order came I was so excited I coluldn't wait to get home to soak then plant them. The fans and roots of mine were huge

Absolutely Hunner, some of my new DLÂs had 4 fans to them. I soaked them in the sink overnight and they were all planted this morning and what a perfect day to plant, 20°C with rain forecasted for the weekend. Whoohooo!
    It sure is exciting, now I canÂt wait for my Cedar Ridge order to arrive.

And my wish list for next year is incredibly long! ;)

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And here I thought Brenda had lots of DL's (200!), but you gotta check out this lady in NS, she has aprox 1200 cultivars! OMG!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Nova Scotia Daylilies

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marcia, maybe your no-tag DL is 'Little Business', it looks just like what they have in the Veseys spring 2006 catalogue, page 25, must be common if Veseys sells it ;)

Sharon

17 years ago

Sharon, you may have gotten it. Definite resemblance. Next time i'm in town, i'm going to stop and ask if that's what they had in stock there. Funny thing - someone on another forum recommended "Little Business" to me years ago and i always intended to get it. I'll have to look up that guy and let him know! LOL

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Went to Lloyd today and brought home 3 huge potted healthy DL's for 1/2 price. Now just hoping that they're not mislabled or TC. ;)

ANZAC
    MOONLIT MASQUERADE
    STARTLE

Sharon

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Hey Sharon do you have 'Always Afternoon'? Just wondering ;0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Gil, no I don't have that one, sure is pretty ;)