Veseys

Asiatic Tango Strawberry & Cream (2)

LA Trebbiano (3)

Oriental Starfighter (6)

Oriental Double Mix (3)

OT Purple Prince

Lindenberg

Asiatic Sweet Surrender Tiger Lily

L. nepalense (anyone have experience with this species?)

Oriental Lovely Girl (3)

OT Scarlet Delight

Lily Nook

Asiatic

Ceres

Fire Mountain

Golden Joy

Orange Cocotte

Peachy Keen

Pearl Justien

Pearl Jessica

Rodilana

Spring Pink

Tropic Delight

Yellow Cocotte

Pot/Border

Tiny Sensation

Oriental

Miss Lucy

LA

Bonsoir

Laksmi

Tamburo

OT

Bonbini

Montego Bay

Orange Jewel

Space Mountain

LO

Dreamweaver

Species

L. cernuum

I might place a few from Valley K as well.

Sharon

Comments (23)

• stanly
    15 years ago

Wow Sharon, I'm just making up my order now and your order makes mine look tiny. I'm in the process of redoing three of my flower beds which I dug up last year because of overgrown grass and weeds so I dug them all up, removed and transplanted all the perennials to a holding area and to a new flower bed. I then sprayed with round up and will probably spray again in the spring and then redo but have not decided yet as to what to plant. Can you imagine? One flower bed 40' long by 3' deep and three other flower beds that are approx 6'by 12'. I have redrawn these beds at least a dozen times and making a list of shrubs and plants. Just can't make up my mind. Stan

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Sharon, Nice lilys that you chose there. I have been debating on what to add or even if I have any room to add more lilies this year.

I hope you have better luck with Vesey's lilys than what I did a few years ago. I ordered the nepalense from them and got an empty bag. You already know about the mouldy lilies that I got from them as well. Please do tell us what you think when you get your lilies from them. Who knows maybe they have improved....I hope so anyway for your order.

I did ordered the nepalense and nettie's pride from Lindenberg. I will also wait and see what Costco brings in, some years they have some interesting ones.

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ordered these too from Valley K
    Asiatic Tiny Icon
    Asiatic Tiny Padhye
    Oriental Montezuma
    Oriental Starfighter (3)$1.99
    LA Litouwen
    OT Maywood
    OT Nymph

Good luck on your project Stan, I just plant as I go ;)
    Sierra, Veseys have always credited me, no questions asked.

I think I will pot the L. nepalense and store it in the cold room during the winter months, apparently it does not like winter wet.

Lilium nepalense. Gardeners keep losing this beauty. The secret of longer life is at the end of this description. Large, lime-green bells with hearts of deep maroon and dark pollen bloom in June-July. The flowers are down-facing, flared and scented. The bulb is stoloniferous. It roves underground (a Houdini in a pot), producing many smaller bulbs on strings. Native to open scrub in the high mountains of Nepal, Sikkim, Bhutan, India, Myanmar (Burma), Tibet (Xizang) and Yunnan province in China. Height to 120 cm (4.5'). Lilium nepalense is Zone 5, but it abhors fall and winter wet. If that's likely to be a problem where you are, grow it outdoors under an overhang or in a frame or glasshouse. Some people even overwinter these treasures bagged in peat in the refrigerator.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Lilium nepalense

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I haven't made any firm decisions as yet, but i do know that Litouwen and Salmon Star are on my list this year. And Botanus has a really cute Oriental pot lily, Starlight Express that jumped off the page at me. :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got Salmon Star last year, the flowers are huge!

Sharon

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

In the autumn, I had received my first ever order from The Lily Nook, bulbs were nice. From Botanus came the best I've ever gotten from anywhere, they grew vigorously and flowered heavily for first year plants ... their prices are pretty good also :)

Red Dutch (from Botanas)

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bumping up....

Wow Terry, your Red Dutch are sure RED, I moved mine last fall into more sun. Hope they'll be ok this spring ;)

I ordered from Botanus.
    Lilium Oriental Muscadet (2)
    Lilium Asiatic Tango Graffity (3)

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

I am just getting my order together for the Lily Nook. These are the ones I am getting...

Asiatics...
    Dimension
    Double Pleasure
    Rodilana
    Arosa Jewel
    Ceres
    Spring Pink
    Adios Noninja
    Olina

Dwarf asiatics...
    Pink Angel

LA's...
    Eyeliner
    Merlet
    Purple Diamond
    Red Alert
    Rousseau
    Strasbourg
    Sugar Diamond
    Tanburo

OT's...
    Baywatch
    Gluhwein
    Nymph
    Shocking
    Space Mountain

I think I will probably get a few Orientals to use as centers for my large planters and treat them as an annual. Time Out is the one I am looking at as with its yellow and white colors it could be planted with any color of other annuals around it. I would probably order 8 of them or so.

Brenda

15 years ago

I need to get going on orders for spring. I'm running out of room, and though it's tempting to make more room, the amount of weeding is really getting to me and it's hard to keep up. :(

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Marcia, do you mulch your flowerbeds at all?

Mulching makes a huge difference in the time a person spends weeding each summer. If I didn't mulch I would only be able to have a few beds and a few perennials.

Brenda

15 years ago

I'm starting to do it, Brenda, bit by bit. We had some poplar chips that i was using, and i'm hoping i can get some more this year. Hydro left us some chips but they're mixed wood and i'm not sure if i should use them or not.

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

I used to get mixed wood chips from a tree service. They are fine. Wood chips will break down in a few years so you will be having to add to your flowerbeds at that time. But, if you don't have to weed as much...it is time saved!

15 years ago

Good - there's a big pile across the road from us now. I like the free aspect - couldn't imagine having to buy bags and bags of it!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I got two orders in today, one from Valley K and The Lily Nook, thanks Brenda ;)

I also got a pamplet from VK, about the Lily Leaf Beetle, apparently its alive in Southern Alberta, with unconfirmed reports from Edmonton and Reed Deer.

I sure hope it doesn't come here!

Read their website, it will tell you all about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily Beetle

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Glad to be an enabler, Sharon. :)

There are a few spots with lily beetles in Manitoba also. They found some in the Winnipeg area and Portage thru Carman area. Thankfully, though, none have been found in the Brandon area yet. They gave an update on the beetle last Saturday at the Manitoba Regional Lily Society Conference in Winnipeg.

And, they also mentioned at the conference all the lily crosses that they are working on at Jeffries Nurseries with the Orienpets, Asiatics, Orientals, Trumpets, and others. Just wait to see what will be coming in the future!!

Brenda

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

I recall last fall, shortly after having achingly finished a lily planting marathon, telling some friends that if in the following year I even breathed the two words 'lily' and 'order' they had strict instructions to slap the sense back into me, LOL. (So now I guess I have to be sneaky).

Anyway, all I really wanted to say was that in the Spring issue of The Gardener For the Prairies there is also an article about the Lily Beetle. The South Saskatchewan Lily Society is looking for confirmed sightings in Sask.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are similar beetles in shape and colour that are harmless - only the lily bettle is ALL RED, no black spots or lines on the back.

I still have the bulbs I bought on sale from last Fall to plant too, this madness never ends I tell yah ;)

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

I hope I never see a lily beetle personally. They can destroy so much.

I picked up a few more locally
    2 Scheherazade OT for $7.99 and
    2 Frisco OT for $6.99
    (And received another free Canna) :)

And then I heard that because they are selling out so fast they are getting more varieties in next week.

I'll have to go back.

Shelley

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

Well I have seen what looks like the lily beetle eating rose flowers......if it is not the same beetle, I don't really care......I am on the war path with these little beasts. Flick, stomp stomp or flick into a bucket of soapy water or squish with gloved hands. Eating my roses is NOT acceptable either.

Sierra

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Sierra, take a picture of your little critter. Let's see what it looks like.

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two new ones blooming today...

Sungod

Adios Noninja Tango

Sharon

14 years ago

Beautiful, Sharon! I have Russian House and Salmon Star blooming now. The flowers on Salmon Star aren't that big, but they were in small pots for the longest time. I had put the pots in one garden and they got covered with other things growing there and i forgot about them. Bad me!

• Joan Dupuis
    14 years ago

Sharon, those are gorgeous. They look like they were meant to be planted close to each other.

Joan