Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Iris Borer

northspruce
13 years ago

It's taken me since last August to sit down and write this out. I'm so depressed about it. I'm pretty sure I have iris borer. I have many smaller irises and a few TBs that have done well or at least ok over the years, but last summer for no apparent reason some of them collapsed. The growing season was not too bad and my soil is exceptionally well-drained so this was not a wet rot issue. After the 3rd TB collapsed, I dug it up to see what was going on and in the mush there were some small, dark (slightly less than 1 cm long) caterpillary things. Are these iris borers?

If so, I understand they have an egg phase, a moth phase and a borer phase and I need to spray to get rid of them. What is the recommended plan, and I need to know where I can buy the chemicals since most stores around here only sell organic crap now. Has anyone here ever got rid of iris borers?

Comments (3)

• northwoodswis4
    13 years ago

They are common anywhere east of the Mississippi I am told. I have found that if you cut off all the leaves to leave just 2 or 3 inch stubs and burn (or send to the landfill) the cut leaves each fall, it helps a lot, as that will get rid of a lot of the eggs, which are laid on the leaves and nearby debris in late summer or early fall. Then I rake up any debris and remulch for the winter with some clean mulch. In early spring about the time crocuses are blossoming, after raking away and discarding the mulch, spray (or dust)the short foliage with insecticide. Cygon used to be recommended, but has been discontinued. I have been using malathion in recent years. You are supposed to spray them every 10-14 days till about late June, although I usually only get around to it once or twice, which seems to suffice. Once the borers are down into the stems and rhizomes, spraying won't do any good. I have also been using a systemic rose fertilizer on mine. I don't know if it is helping, but I haven't had much trouble with borers since trying these measures. Otherwise, the borers will chew up your bed till all you get are little scrawny leaves, but no blossoms. Before I realized my problem was from borers, I had decided to dig up and move my irises to a fresh area, thinking the soil was depleted. All I found were little one-inch pieces of rhizomes, not even enough to dig up! Since the borers are actually larvae of moths, keep removing the leaves every fall and spraying at least in early spring as a preventive measure, as the borers will keep attacking year after year from outside of your garden. Some literature suggests squishing the borers inside the iris leaves, but I have never been able to figure out where they were. Take heart, they are controlable, just a nuisance to deal with. Don't give up on such a lovely flower! Northwoodswis

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

I have iris borers every year. I did a search to see what growers reommended. The consensus was Cygon or Malathion. I did read on one site (Trails End I think) that some growers are experimenting with dormant oil. I had wondered myself if this would work. I'm going to give it a try this spring. Can't hurt. Marg

• northspruce
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks v. much for your replies. I'm not even sure if the borer is winter hardy here. I'm nearly sure I had them last summer but I did order new irises from out east so they may have been a one-summer event.

I will cut and burn all the foliage (yikes I have a lot of irises...) this spring, and try two sprays of Malathion. As mentioned we can't get cygon anymore.