Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo

Posted by lbernheim 1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 16, 09 at 15:47

Hi I am in Zone1, in Fairbanks, AK. I was wanting to plant bamboo, has anyone had any luck with it up here? Also, I heard it needs a lot of water, how much is a lot?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo

lbernheim, I think any bamboo that you select, even the very hardiest of kinds, would die down to the snowline or perish totally in zone 1. From previously researching this myself, the hardiest species capable of retaining any amound of wood over the winter, these are rated for zone 4 .... maybe, someone else knows more?

Terry

o

Fargesia nitida is probably the most cold hardy. Alas, I lost mine the winter following the year the species bloomed throughout the world (circa 2001?). It tried to bloom that year too, but my season was too short. Even here (near Minneapolis, Minnesota), nitida barely makes it, and only in the sheltered spots. But with a good deep snow cover (that I don't get reliably anymore), who knows?

I obtained Fargesia rufa this past summer. A species not well known, but should maybe be as hardy. I seem to be having a fairy normal winter so far. We'll see what happens.

o

Hello Ibernheim,

I'm Rob in Canadian Zone 1B or USDA Zone 2B, I think... in Manitoba, Canada...
I've looked into the very hardiest bamboos, thinking I'd like to try it here... though I'm not sure it would survive... if it did, it would probabaly die down to the ground every year...I was looking at a site in British Columbia, Canada... called Canada's Bamboo World...they have a tonne of info and all the stat's on the hardiest and not so hardy bamboos, as well as bananas, cannas and hardy palms... all of the latter would never make it where you are, but, some of the bamboos are hardy down to Minus 32deg Celsius...which is Minus 25deg Fahrenheit...I still don't know if they'd make it where you are either, but it might be worth a shot, if you have a micro climate going on in a well protected site... and took some extra precautions during winter... the website address is down below... check it out, you'll get alot of info there...

Rob

Here is a link that might be useful: Canada's Bamboo World

o

Well, I'd try it. I'm sure no one's actually tried testing the plants in zones 1-3, so who really know.

o

If you plant the most hardy of types up against the south side of the foundation of your home, this will provide heat to the roots and they'll likely make it through the long and cold winters ... the tops would unfortunately die right back down. I've often thought of doing this myself ... heck, maybe I'll order some bamboo for spring!

Terry

o

You could also tie down the canes to the ground and mulch (root ball and canes) in the fall. People seem to have better luck that way.

o

Good idea leftwood ... I'll try this myself :)

Terry

o

Any idea how big the rootball on bamboo would be for say a 5' shoot? Hoping to do something cool with bamboo potted inside, as a room divider in a big, sunny living room, in, say, 5 gallon pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here