Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Rose thoughts

northspruce
11 years ago

Just a few rose thoughts... does anyone grow Soleil d'Or on the Prairies? Is it diseasey here? The comments on Helpmefind say it's disgusting and blackspot riddled, but I have only seen blackspot a couple of times in my garden. Any experience?

Also, does anyone have a favourite yellow, apricot or orange rose that does reasonably well here? I already have Agnes and I'd consider it more buttery, and Rio Samba which is garish and I love it. Used to have Sunsprite and Autumn Sunset but they died &/or I moved. I am seriously considering buying Harison's Yellow again even though it's a bit of a hooligan.

Comments (21)

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

I have Prairie Peace, which I love. I would consider it a "hooligan" as well, though. The colors vary and change on that one, ranging from buttery yellow, yellow-orange, rosy-orange to yellow-white! It may not have enough "pop" for color for you though. It does more than reasonably well, though. It will flourish rambunctiously, like Harison's Yellow.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, was that your photo of Prairie Peace that I remember from a couple of years ago? It was so beautiful and I wasn't sure which one it was...

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

No, I was one of the people who jumped on the "must buy!" bandwagon after seeing those pics though! The pics were probably sazzyrose. It is a beauty, but it is a classic hybrid spinosissima type - tall, kind of gangly..a bit of a monster! But I still love it. Even though it only blooms once(well..come to think of it, I think it blooms lightly again at least once), it is always just loaded with blooms. Another plus is that it's canes are completely hardy, even in my 2b garden. I've never had dieback.

Another possibility: Rugelda Rugosa rose. I know it is listed as 4b or 5 or something like that, but I know Sazzyrose(Shelley) grows it, and she said it dies pretty much to the ground every year but bounces right back. The blooms are stunning on that one, so if you can find it, it might be worth a try. You could try to track down Shelley and ask her about it.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yeah it was Shelley's photo now that you mention it. We keep in touch, I know how to find her. ;). Do you remember where you got yours?

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

I do, I bought it from Sheila Holmes in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta. I don't know where else you can buy it, and unfortunately her Robert Erskine site seems to be down, and I haven't been able to get her through email either. She has just vanished! So I sent her a letter, LOL, stalker Katie here. :D If I don't hear back, this spring I could look and see if there are any suckers yet to dig out. I've never sent one to anyone, but I could attempt if you want it and are stuck for getting one! I know how much it sucks to have a plant in mind and be literally unable to buy it anywhere!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am totally going to buy Rugelda! I think it's the one I've been looking for. Thanks for pointing it out, I think I've always skipped over it because it has a gross name. LOL I think I'm going to buy Harison's Yellow again too, because I have a spot I need something big for.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

One thing to note about Harison's Yellow, if you plan on ordering from Corn Hill - I don't think they ship Harison's Yellow for some reason. It says it only comes potted and they won't ship it, pick up only. (I think that was what I read). You you may have to buy from a different nursery.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, I noticed that. I guess they don't ship stuff out bareroot on a graft.

I made up my mind today and placed an order with Pickerings. I was happy with my plants from Corn Hill last year but there are some varieties they don't have. But now that I ordered, I really want Hansaland, and Pickerings didn't have it! Might have to check out Corn Hill again next year.

What I did order was:
    Rugelda
    Harison's Yellow
    Soleil d'Or (I'll give it a shot!)
    Great Maiden's Blush
    Suaveolens
    Mme. Legras de St. Germain

Is it spring yet?

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Exciting! I want Great Maiden's Blush too..

As soon as Christmas is over, I find our winters just drraaaaaggg. On the plus side, I do get tired of mowing our gigantic lawn.

• beegood_gw
    11 years ago

A very hardy yellow is Hazledean. A bit on the shrubby side but worth getting I think.Suckers quite a bit.

• sengyan
    11 years ago

Re: Harrison Yellow
    I had this rose years ago. It was a blackspot magnet. After many years of this problem I decided to give it away.
    Sengyan

• northspruce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My old Harison's Yellow was healthy... I wonder if you had Persian Yellow, Sengyan? But then again, mine came with my house so I was never 100% certain it was Harison's. Just that it was planted prior to 1960 and was healthy and very hardy, so there didn't seem to be any other candidates.

Gaah I'm so sick of snow!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Me too - i told DH the other day that i'm sick of winter wonderlands. It's pretty but i want GREEN!

And keeping on topic, i planted a Persian a few summers ago but it didn't like me and died in a huff. I'd love to find a Harison's!

• northspruce
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just an update on Soleil d'Or. My bareroot roses from Pickerings took 2 weeks to get to me and had long since broken dormancy. Most recovered pretty well but Soleil d'Or has had a hard time getting going. Only one of the three grafted branches is alive. That said, the one cane has leafed out and is so far completely disease free. It might be that the rose has a lower vigour than some of the others but at least it's not diseased in this climate, at least not yet.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

North I noticed you said you had a Rio Samba. My wife and I really wanted one of these but heard it was tender to zone 7. How to you over winter yours...Sorry slightly off topic and I hope your Soleil d'Or makes it.

SCG

• northspruce
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I sometimes buy potted roses at Walmart for around $5-6 and they usually survive a few years at least. Rio Samba is a very cool rose, it's all colours of red, orange, yellow and pink, all at once. I do winter protect my roses with leaves and burlap and we usually have a really reliable snow cover here in MB. RS is no hardier than other hybrid teas but I have a few long term survivors in that group.

10 years ago

Thanks again Northspruce. My wife wanted that rose so bad but when they told her it was tender for here she decided to go with Morden Sunrise. I might surprise her with it now. I can easily build a little insulated "shed" for it as our snow cover is unreliable. BTW how well behaved is yours for size?

SCG

• northspruce
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's fairly small. It dies back mostly to the ground and rebounds to a couple of feet high each year.

• nutsaboutflowers
    10 years ago

As an alternative to Rio Samba, you could check out Chihuly. I bought one last year, potted it up, and put it in the garage over the winter. It's still alive! It was only put in the garage because I didn't have time to dig it out and throw it away. The fragrance is wonderful. You basically get four different colors as the flower matures. I love it.

Northspruce may be able to tell you the difference between a floribunda and a hybrid tea. I think floribunda is hardier ??

10 years ago

The Chihuly looks great as well. Thanks for mentioning it. Campfire is a hardy choice but just not the same. I like the compact bush roses as well, for now I guess lol...

• northspruce
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not necessarily hardier, generally floribundas were bred to have clusters of smaller, but still high centered, blooms. They are smaller and bushier. Hybrid teas usually have more of a florist's rose shape with long single stems and high centred buds. Grandifloras are partway between the two, with small clusters of large flowers. They are often a larger shrub which means they often do well (in my experience) in our climate because they will rebound from a freeze.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH