Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Seed starting indoors in January

Happy 2010 everyone! I hope you all are looking forward to a prosperous and healthy new growing season.

Not very big plans this year for my garden I am afraid. Dad is not well and so much to do with the house, arrangements, and such. Still I would like to grow something from seed.

I have yet to have any luck with ornamental millet, specificaly, Purple Majesty. I also have not successfully grown amaranthus from seed. Any info would help.

I was wondering if it is too early to start it indoors. ????

Ginny Garden

Comments (5)

• xaroline
    14 years ago

Both of those are sun loving so it might be an idea to wait until the sun is higher in the sky. I start shade plants in a January south window. The sun is very weak at this time of year.
    Caroline zone 3 Calgary

• marion_z1b
    14 years ago

This is somewhat tangential. I like to start seeds indoors and my success rate without using grow lights is spotty. I've searched the forums and FAQ's and can't find any information about how to make your own. I have a friend on this forum who has some info for me but we can't get together for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know which forum might be of help or where I can look? Also, I would have started my own thread on this but can't figure out how. Again, checked the various help options.
    Thanks

• stanly
    14 years ago

I start a lot of flowers on my own especially petunias, impatiens and pansy. Things like Millet I buy as I need because I would only need two or three for containers, not worth the seed starting space. In my basement, I have a 3' x 5' table on which I have put a sheet of 3/4" plywood. From the ceiling I have hung 4 two light fluorescent fixtures hung on chains so that I can raise or lower the lights. Each fixture has one warm light bulb and one regular bulb which are a couple of buck at the most. The only plants I have started now are Datura because they take 3-4 weeks to germinate. I know that there are a million different seed starting mediums out there but I simply use Pro-mix. When I soack the pro mix, I wet it with water mixed with "no damp' and then put in a domed heated seed starting container. I also took a margarine tub, lined it with paper towel, spritzed it with water mixed with 'no damp", put a couple of dozen Datura seed inside, closed the cover and put on top of one of the light fixtures on the warm end. In March, I will be starting "Foxy" Foxgloves and probably some Petunias so that I can also take cuttings from the seedlings. Still early but it's a start. There probably is a lot of info on the Growing From Seed Forum. Stan

• trisha_51
    14 years ago

I'm planning to start veggies in late March. they always get so leggy when i start them sooner.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Marion, to start your own thread/post a message, just go to the very bottom of the page that has the messages on it. There is a section that says "Post a Message". Put your Topic or question in the Box, and then write your message in the Message Box. Click on Preview Message. Make any corrections, and then click on Submit. That's it. Your first message has been sent.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH