Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19756839

Alberta Mushrooms

User
10 years ago

While camping this past summer I came across a variety of mushrooms. I know the shaggy manes are edible but what are the other ones. If you have pics please show them too. I can only post one pic at a time sorry.

Comments (16)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These pics were taken at Young's Point Provincial Park

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am pretty sure this is another angle of the last one

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only edible I am sure of

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Nice...looks like you have fly mushroom [Amanita muscaria]. The last one a Shaggy Mane.

• north53 Z2b MB
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about mushrooms, but I just love that third picture!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

The first one is a Fly Agaric. Don't eat it!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed my mushroom pics will probably take more this summer. I thought of it late on our walk and missed some really nice red ones maybe this year. Might even buy a book to help identify them.

• kioni
    10 years ago

Compliments on the way you framed that 3rd shot. Makes me feel like a leprechaun (I have no pot of gold!).

I love mushrooms but have only eaten the white 'puffball' variety commonly offered in the pink or blue styrofoam containers at the grocery store. I don't think I could get that shaggy mane past my lips, even knowing its edible! Could you?

10 years ago

The shaggymane in that picture seems to be a little past its prime. I've gotten them in the unshaggy phase and they are very good.

• don555
    10 years ago

The first one is Amanita muscaria -- hallucinogenic but also quite poisonous, even fatal. Rumoured to be the mushroom from Alice in Wonderland "one side will make you grow taller, the other side will make you grow shorter" because of its effect of making the user feel either very large or very small.

The second two shots are I think a mature version of another Amanita muscaria.

Last is shaggy mane, edible as others have pointed out, never tried it myself since I'm grossed out how they turn into black slime when over-mature.

Only wild mushroom I've tried is morels -- collected a few on a mushroom-hunting course at the Devonian botanic garden some years ago. They ripen early, around mid-May or so.

There is another kind that grows in the woods and is quite edible... can't remember the name... red cap, I think. A guy I worked with used to collect them at field sites in the forested areas of Alberta in summer. I was too spooked to ever try them but he loved them.

• don555
    10 years ago

Red cap must have been the name he used for that edible mushroom in Alberta's forest and not an accepted name, becuase when I google red cap mushroom it brings up Amanita muscaria, and they definitely did not look anything like that.

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Too many years ago I woke up in a camping spot in NC to find fly agarics. When I eventually ate them, the results were amazing - not hallucinogenic at all. They could be extremely beneficial if harnessed. The effects were very real. I ate various batches of them after that, but without any results at all. Definitely not a poison - for me anyway. I extended the effects of the original batch in the usual way till I threw it all out.

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Lol..what was your attention,..getting high or knock out yourself?...I knew that some people eat it but not sure what's behind all that.

The first 3 pictures above are all the same mushroom.

Here the fly mushroom in several stages,

I find the best eating mushroom here is the meadow mushroom [Agaricus campestris].
    If your'e not 100% sure, then you need make a spore/print test.

10 years ago

We sometimes get a few of the meadow mushrooms on our lawn. If you can get them young, before the worms move in, they're delicious.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have never tried a shaggy mane as I seem to come upon them too late. I found a great website that made me curious.

Love the three stage pic.

I think I'll stay out of wonderland it doesn't seem to safe with the Red Queen and Jafar running the show..........LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Edible Mushrooms of Alberta

• rosecavalier
    10 years ago

One of my favorites...morels...ready to pick when the rhubarb is just coming on.

Usually try drying as many as possible...vary from year to year in abundance...rating 9.

Shaggy manes are fine...best mushroom soup I've ever had...rating 9.
    Red caps are OK...find them a bit slimy when cooked...rating 5.

Fairy ring mushrooms...good in omelletes...rating 7

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH