Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columbine

Posted by honalee 3a (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 17:58

Hi Everybody,

Another question to my fellow gardeners. Does anyone know where to go for a good selection of Columbine plants or roots (in Canada)? Or, any secrets on starting different varieties from seed? I have attempted them a few times without much success. One thing I have learned is that they seem to like to be very cold or frozen for a bit before they will germinate. Am I correct in this observation? Anyone know?

Ginny Garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columbine

I don't know much, but I got seeds, sprinkled them around the bases of a few trees, and they grew. The first year, the plants struggled and stayed small, but now they come back every year. I don't know if they reseed since I mow around the area and don't allow them to spread.

o

Yes, they need a cold stratification in order to germinate. They're very easy if you wintersow them. (Check out wintersowing forum). Although seed will not always come true to the exact mother plant.

Where do you live? Many nurseries, even Walmart sell them potted in the Spring.

I know Holes and Wickams in Alberta have great selections to choose from.

o

I am in Edmonton and have bought from different greenhouses but not much selection. Lots of seeds available. My thoughts are winter sowing as well. And maybe I have been mowing them down before I recognized them! They may be coming up in my bird seed garden!
Thanks guys

Ginny

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 23:21

I have done cold stratification and no cold stratification with columbine seeds and both ways germinated well. The long spurred type bloom all summer for me where as all the other ones I have bloom for a few weeks and are done..at least the foliage looks good.I have picked up a lovely white columbine from the local Extra Foods box store..and bought a light blue winky columbine from WM last year.So far the long spurred ones are the best at reseeding..Jean

o

Ginny Garden
I have a selection of old time and hybrid columbine. I have magpie, which do not come true from seed, but has interesting babies. I have some lovely, really old time baby pink semi-doubles, which do come true from seed. I also have several other hybrids: wine/white; deep pink/wine; pale yellow. I also have some blue/white and some Nora Barlow, if I can figure out which is which!!!

I always stratify or winter sow, that's just what works for me. If you would like some seed, email me.

Nancy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here