Posing for the camera

beegood_gw
11 years ago

Checking out my yard this afternoon.

Comments (8)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Nice find!
    They're getting brave! Food source at this time of the year is getting scares,...checking out and nibbling on almost anything!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes they come into the yard every day. Up to 5 at a time. Somtimes they will bed down at the back of my house. So far no damage but if we get much more snow which it sounds like we will my apple trees may be on their menu. Sure hope not.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

They're coming into our yard too but i haven't gotten a good clear picture of them. We also have four or five of them, depending, or one small guy who seems to wander off on his own sometime. Dh has a bit of hay and feed on the far side of the driveway and is adding little treats for them like the crabapple preserves a neighbour gave him and frozen vegetables. They've pruned a couple of things in the flower beds, but nothing serious, and there's way more snow now so harder for them to get in it. The like the sunflower seeds we leave for the birds too!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's like my heard. There is one that often brings up the rear way late. Looking at this one I'd say she is pregnant' Her flank area is pretty well filled and considering the amount of snow we have I doubt she is fat.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    11 years ago

Ours were here this afternoon but they were really spooky. Dh thinks there might be wolves around. :(

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

Um..I think I look at these visitors differently than you guys haha! They ARE beautiful, but I shoot at them with our BB gun anytime I catch them in our yard..doesn't injure them, but the sound scares them more than yelling at them.

I have to put up stupid little fences around all of my young trees in our yard, it is very unpleasing to the eye! Otherwise they girdle all my trees. For my young shelterbelt, I have to paint them with a deer spray to deter them, otherwise they top the trees continually.

If you have anything you would hate to have destroyed, I sure wouldn't encourage them into your yard. They'll keep coming back, and they are capable of digging up the crowns of perennials with their sharp hooves..even when frozen and snow covered. I know from experience!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No I sure don't encourage it. Chase them any chance I get. That's the last thing I want is for them to eat my shrubs and trees etc..There's a guy a short ways away that feeds them but for some reason they always end up here even tho I chase them any time I see them.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

You must have better tasting plants! :) Ah, the burdens of being a gardener..