Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butternut squash varieties?

Posted by luv2gro z3a AB (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 8, 07 at 19:13

I've decided that I'm going to make room in my veggie garden for a few (?) plants of butternut squash. Can anyone tell me a) How many squash per plant to expect and b) What is the best variety? I'm looking at most of the seeds in the catalogue listing them as 85 - 90 Days but there are some early 75 day varieties. Are these a better bet for our shorter summers?

I've searched some of the FN threads on butternut squash and they don't answer those questions. Laurie, you've grown them before?

Is it best to pinch off all the flowers except one to direct all the energy to the single squash or just let them go with whatever they produce? How much room does one plant need? Oh, and also would they like the low end of my garden where there is lots of water? Any info that anyone has would be much appreciated. I've never grown them before and I need to know what to expect.

Shauna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butternut squash varieties?

Any squash that i've grown before has wound its viny way all around the garden, so in a way it needs lots of room, but then you can grow it, say, in with the corn, and it will be happy in there. I've never removed blossoms from squash, only pumpkins, and there usually ends up being several of them per plant.

I'm talking about acorn squash, not butternut, but i imagine they'd grow similarly.

Now, all this talk of squash makes me think i'll plant some again this year! :)

o

Shauna, I think it was 2 years ago that I grew them. It was an experiment for me too. I can't remember the variety, but it was a package that I had picked up at a store. Probably either McKenzie seeds or Lindenberg's. I believe I ended up with only 3 or 4 that had time to mature, so probably getting an earlier variety would have helped, but I guess it depends on the year. I didn't do anything too fancy with them, just watered as much as I could. I didn't take any blossoms off, and like Marcia said, it's a good idea to grow them in with corn, as I heard that'll deter the raccoons from getting the corn. Maybe I'll have to try this myself ;^)

We had some squash growers come and talk at our garden club meeting last fall, (along with taste testing too, yum!) so there's a few kinds of squash that I'd like to try this year as well. Now I just have to remember where I put those notes that I took down that day as to what varieties I liked.........

o

Thanks, gals. I think I'll be on the prowl for an early variety. There is only one that I've found at 3 or 4 different seedhouses. But, if they are all selling the same one, I guess that's the one we should be growing.

Shauna

o
RE: Butternut squash?

Thanks, gals. I think I'll be on the prowl for an early variety. There is only one that I've found at 3 or 4 different seedhouses. But, if they are all selling the same one, I guess that's the one we should be growing.

Shauna

o

That's weird. It wouldn't let me post the last response until I changed the heading and it posted them both. Glich

Shauna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here