Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verenap_gw

Alfalfa "Tea"

verenap
10 years ago

So my aunt fertilizes with some sort of "alfalfa tea" with bone meal and I'm not sure what all else, and has amazing results, but I haven't been able to get the "recipe" from her...

Does anyone else do this? Is there a science to it?? Do you have a recipe?
I did a general search on on it on GardenWeb and got everything from just pouring boiling water over alfalfa pellets and "steeping" it for a few hours, to some really entertaining posts about strange brews run amok. I believe my aunt uses something that's fermented for a week or more before it's diluted and used...and I already have a 25kg bag of alfalfa cubes...I'd actually like to try it for my house plants that are starting to look a little anemic.

Comments (4)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    10 years ago

I've never used "tea" on my outdoor or indoor plants although I use alfalfa pellets turned right into the soil in the garden. They breakdown well and the worms love them! Might be worth a try to brew up a batch of tea with boiling water and cubes or pellets......although, your house might smell like a hay field.. :)

Ginny

• kioni
    10 years ago

Don't use alfalfa tea on indoor plants, it's meant to be used outdoors and work with the soil web to enhance it.

If you search alfalfa tea on the "soil, compost and mulch" & the "rose" forum you will find recipes and methods, plus tools to help oxygenate it, and the pros and cons for it. There is supposed to be a chemical contained in alfalfa that promotes branching in plant growth, so rose growers really like to use it.

I just do what Ginny does, I work the pellets direct into the soil and let the microbes do the work.

I think the concept with the tea is that you feed the brew and get a larger concentration of beneficial microbes to give your plants a boost. And there's conflicting arguments about how to apply, watering can versus spraying on the plants.

One guy cooked up a batch, covered, under his enclosed deck. Left it too long and the bin blew it's top, spewing the contents which also happen to smell like concentrated puke all over everything. Yes, after fermenting for a couple of days, that stuff reeks!

But it needs the wee soil beasties to work with, that is why it is not so good to use indoors, never mind the smell.

• verenap
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!! That's good to know! I don't get on here much, but I'm glad I checked back. It's enough having the occasional, standard "farm" smells making their way into the house without intentionally (or unintentionally) adding some new unpleasant odor...and when I do go to brew some up in the spring for my outdoor plants, I'll be sure not to forget it under the deck! LOL

• HU-664070424
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Used it for years

If used indoors simply apply after a day or two before fermentation begins.

Outdoors no limits.

Fermented for a day, week or whatever!

Don't spill on clothing cause it has that barnyard scent big-time.

Recipe

Gallon rainwater- 1/4 cup pellets in cheese cloth. (Won't clog watering can )

1 Tablespoon Epsom salt

( Agricultural grade )

Leave preferably in shade while cooking.

Tap water fine if used indoors.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz