Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie403

Where to get green sand in Canada (Calgary specifically)

natalie403
14 years ago

Hello all, I read great things about green sand. Since I will be starting a few vegetable beds this year, I am hoping to give green sand a try. Does anyone knows of a place where I can get it in Calgary. Otherwise, I will have to order online.

The only source I found in Canada is http://www.welcomeharvestfarm.com/ but they sell green sand in fairly small packages (2.2 kg for $13).

I read in the banana forum that they are selling green sand at Lowes for under $4 for 40lb!

Comments (13)

• celtic_07
    14 years ago

Sorry can't answer you. Why the "green" sand ? are you loosening up the soil for better drainage? Are you looking at mineral factors? Lois

• morphoz3a_ab
    14 years ago

Hi Natalie

I'm in Calgary as well, and you should know that we have limestone soil - limestone + sand + water = concrete, so be very careful adding sand to your soil. That may be why you are having trouble finding it here in Calgary.

If you are trying to amend clay soils, compost is a way better way of doing that. It's easy to do - just dump it on top of the bed and let the worms and critters pull it down.

I had a bed in my garden that I couldn't rototill - the tines would not dig in, just kept sliding over the surface, so I topdressed with about 5 cm of compost in the spring and by the end of August I put a shovel in to test it and was able to easily go up to about 30 cm.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

I've never seen it here in Calgary. You could ask the people at Edward's or Garden Retreat, as they tend to stock items that other places don't. I'm sure one of them could bring some in.

Looking at the banana forum, I have my doubts about the claims there that it's 0-0-7. That's incredibly high for a natural product.

• natalie403
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for the info!

Here's a cut-and-paste of greensand definition from about.com:

Definition: Greensand is an organic fertilizer that contains the deposits of minerals that were once part of the ocean floor. Also called "glauconite," greensand has a bluish-green color. The NPK ratio for greensand is approximately 0-0-3. It is a good organic source of potash (important for overall plant health and disease resistance) and can also be applied at a rate of 50 to 100 pounds per 1000 square feet to improve clay soils.
    Also Known As: Green sand, glauconite.

Greensand is also a useful component of container garden soils and seed starting mixes.

morphoz3a_ab - your result from top dressing with compost is very encouraging!

• natalie403
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's great info! Thanks so much!

I borrowed Steve Solomon's book from the library last month and found it really useful. I think I will get my own copy.

I have trouble finding seed meal (soybean or cottonseed or what not). I googled and called a couple places around Clagary but none of them have them. Can you recommend a place where I can get that? Thanks again!

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

If you find greensand, tell us :)

Anyhoo cowgirl2 is right on the money.

• cowgirl2
    14 years ago

Co-op Seed mill in the SE. South of the #1, east off Barlow Trail. It's the left at the first light south of #1.

Last year at Seedy Saturday there was someone who was selling the Solomon COF pre-mixed. He should be there this year as well - March 20.

• natalie403
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cowgirl2 - can't find co-op seed mill on google or Canada411. Does #1 means Highway 1? But that's on the north side of the city! I am confused!

Anyhow.. if I can't find seed meal, I will get the premix COF from Seedy Saturday (great to know). Do you remember if it's reasonably priced? Thanks so much!

shazam_z3 - Found greensand! Double AA Garden Supplies. It's not cheap - $20 for 2.2 kg. $75 for 10 kg. I may hold off and see if I really need it before spending the money.

• shazam_z3
    14 years ago

Thanks for the update. That's too expensive. I'd rather just buy compost.

• cowgirl2
    14 years ago

Sorry, that's NE. Centre Ave. is just south of that intersection. I was confused.

Federated Co-operatives Limited
    1020 26 Street NE
    Calgary, AB T2A 2M4
    (403) 531-6656

The pre-mixed stuff at Seedy Saturday stuff was not unreasonable.

• natalie403
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In case anyone is looking for greensand, I found it at Evergro 403-287-3988.

Gaia Green Greensand 50lb for $48.

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    14 years ago

Greensand is used for filtering water. Or at least there is a gritty material called greenesand used for that. Used for industrial sized water filters.

Try companies like calgon. Look up water filters in the yellow pages, and try them.

Some farms may use a sand filter. So UFA, Co-Op, and Peavey Mart may be possible suppleirs.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional