Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How about Far North Gardening Trials?

Posted by davidcalgary29 2b AB (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 16, 13 at 21:01

Is anyone interested in having a gardening trial for one vegetable or flower variety per year? I used to rely on Alberta's perennial and woody plant trials, but it seems that this program has been terminated, and don't seem to be any other large-scale trials going on in our region. How about it? I'm game for anything, and it would be interesting to compare results with other regional gardeners.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How about Far North Gardening Trials?

My trial plant this year will be a blueberry again but in a new spot the last one drown by the neighbors downspout. I would love to try the trombocino squash I think it would be fun.

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=12405&page=9

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 10:56

I'm game. I brought that up once before but got no interest. So will challenge my zone 3 with a zone 4 or 5 . Think it wud be fun.

o

I'm up for anything that I can obtain from an online source. Suggestions? We could go with the trombocino squash or the New Guinea bean if there's interest in growing weird cucurbits.

o

• Posted by beegood Zone 3 Alberta (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 11:44

Where do you get either one of those?

o

I found seeds for New Guinea 'bean' on eBay. I've searched all the usual suspects for 'trombocino' squash, but come up empty. The selection should probably be something that everyone (who's interested) can easily obtain.

o

I think I'll give my hand at the variegated Norway maple acer Platanoides Drummondii. The tree just might have a chance with our now milder winters coupled with having a very protected backyard. At my location, I've only recorded two nights of -40 C in the past six winters and nothing below -30 C the last two. My other Norway maples have been doing very well and always much enjoyed and admired!

o

I thought I saw these at Canadian tire part of the Italian collection I will check Saturday but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

not sure what happened yesterday but my edit did not show up West coast Seeds in Vancouver has them http://www.westcoastseeds.com/productdetail/Vegetable-Seeds/Squash/Tromboncino/

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 17:29

o

'trombocino' squash seeds can be found at Territorial seeds, canada

o

Ok, I'm going to try the following varieties this year:

Squash: 'tromboncino'

Okra: 'Cajun delight'

Sorrel: 'Large leaf"

Let me know if anyone needs seeds for these...I can spare a few.

o

I have not got to vegetable gardening yet, but I think I might try "blue" tomatoes this year. They are not really blue, but supposed to contain some of the antioxidants
like blueberries.
I have seeds for Greek Mountain Tea which is new to me.
I will start it as a WS.

o

Would love to try the tromboncino seeds if you have some. not sure how the garden web email thing works but I think I have allowed emails for details

o

David got your email but it says I can't respond by email I tried by sending my address but not sure if you got it.

Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here