Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petunia2_gw

Where to find Priscilla petunia seed?

petunia2
18 years ago

Last year on this forum someone mentioned that Priscilla petunias are especially fragrant. Do you know where I could find seed for it?

I've looked through a number of catalogues and haven't seen it listed. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• hmacdona1
    18 years ago

I saw somewhere last year that these are still under patent protection and propogation is prohibited. I understand that you can only purchase plants at this time.
    thanks

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

They can only be propagated by cuttings.

• gerry1
    18 years ago

Haven't been on site for awhile and see there have been some changes. Looking to be spending some time here, a great place to come for inspiration! As for the Priscillas, they remain my favorite for the hanging baskets at my entrance and near the sitting area. They are so wonderfully fragrant. Love the color as well. Priscillas were far easier to find this past season, and have become very popular in this area. While one cannot seed start the Priscillas at this time, they are so worth the growing!

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Gerry, one of my favourite Petunias too! I think it was you that recommended it last year. For sure the fragrance is wonderful!

Sharon

• luv2gro
    18 years ago

Being relatively new to many of of the petunias (other than 'Wave' and 'Pirouette') I would like to know what this fragrance is that you are discussing. Is it a regular petunia fragrance, only more intense? Or is it a totally different type of fragrance?

Shauna

• Crazy_Gardener
    18 years ago

Many petunias have a light, sweet fragrance, more noticeable in the Blue Petunias. However Priscilla is much more stronger and soooo intoxicating.

I remember last spring I had bought 2 Proven Winner pots of them in which they were already flowering. I had put them into the greenhouse just incase of frost that night. Next morning I opened the greenhouse door and was knocked off my socks how wonderful the fragrance was. I will definitely be buying them again this year ;)

Sharon

• gerry1
    18 years ago

The fragrance of the Priscillas is so wonderfully unique, for those who love a fragrant garden you will love Priscilla! Most are more then surprised to find the wonderful fragrance they asked about is from a petunia!

Sharon I love that photo, Priscilla with the bacopa, one of my favorite combinations! Your pot reminds me that someone here needs thanking and it is possibly you ... I followed through on the suggestion of sprinkling Gypsophila seeds into the pots and baskets ... loved it, don't know why I didn't think of that! The local greenhouse already has my order got two priscilla/bacopa baskets and one of their special 'Victorian' baskets. I have not yet decided on what I will be using for he rest of the baskets and barrels, but planning is half the fun! Having seen how lovely the priscilla look in a potted container I do know that is one that I will be wanting to do.

• crazy_gardner
    18 years ago

WOW! That container looks great!! What a coinsidence that I overwinter a container of both the petunia and the bapcopa. There is going to be alot of container actions at my house.. I wish I had saved a double pink and rose for cutting as well!! Next year.. I also do pretty well saving petunia seed.. I "Love" to see great container pictures at this time of year!! Great inspiration!! Crazy!

• Spellbound
    14 years ago

The Priscilla Petunia is my absolute favourite. I grew these for years when I was living in Paris, France, but now that I have moved to Ottawa, Canada I have been completely unable to find a place to purchase these. Does anyone know of a place where I can order them online in Canada? It seems that all orders come from the States and they won't deliver across the border.

Thanks!