Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roses, Roses and More Roses!

Posted by crazy_gardener ~Z2b~ AB Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 22, 06 at 21:54

These are the own-root roses that I just ordered from Cedar Hollow Rose Farm.

Delicata (R. rugosa hybrid)
Fimbriata (R. rugosa)
Harison's Yellow (R. pimpinellifolia x R. foetida persiana) Gil, after seeing your photo last year, I gotta have it!
Hawkeye Belle (Buck) I have to try one Laurie ;)
Lambert Closse (Explorer)
Linda Campbell (R. rugosa hybrid)
Moje Hammarberg (R. rugosa hybrid)
Prairie Youth (Heritage)
Roseraie De L'Hay (R. rugosa)

So tell us what you're planning or ordering this year too?

Sharon the Instigator! LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedar Hollow Rose Farm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roses, Roses and More Roses!

Topaz Jewel is on my list for this year. Not sure where i'll get her, though. I'd like Prairie Joy as well, but i don't think i'll be ordering too many roses this year. Too much other stuff to do - maybe next year!

o

Sharon,

Have you ever purchased roses from that company before? They have an interesting list of plants including the David Austin Roses which I really like. I'm just wondering about their quality.

o

Yes, last year I took a chance and placed an order from them. I was very PLEASED with the healthy 4.5" pot roses they sent and the excellent customer service. You can call for availability and pricing of 1 gallon pots too.
Doah! I had to write back to cancel the Linda Campbell rose, I forgot that I picked this one up at Walmart last summer. LOL

Oh yeah, rub it in my face that you can grow Austins, you lucky girl ;)

o

Hi all

The roses that I would like to purchase this year are:
Hope for Humanity (Parkland series rose)
Topaz Jewel
Morden Amorette (Parkland series rose)
Morden Cardinette (Parkland series rose)
and a white rose, but I can't make up my mind as to what kind. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good one that is hardy to our growing conditions?

Cheers Al

o

'Pristine Pavement' is an excellent hardy white - repeat blooming, very fragrant, tough as nails (as all of the 'Pavement' series of roses seem to be). Lots of rugosa in these.
'Henry Hudson' is also a very dependable white, though not particularly fragrant.
We've tried 'Double Blanc de Coubert' in a couple of different situations, but unfortunately, found it "underwhelming" both for fragrance (as compared to expectations, based on what one reads) and performance. (Ha! Many years ago, when we were very naive about gardening, particularly about believing what we read, DH actually planted DBdC inside a great big metal ring to control the "extremely vigorous" tendencies we'd read about! Very amusing to think of now. If only it had been necessary...) Oh well, I hear good things about this one from others, but sadly it hasn't worked for us.

o
Hardy White Roses

Hi Al, I have these 3 and all are very hardy.
Blanc Double de Coubert
Marie Bugnet
Morden Snowbeauty

o

Don't be jealous Sharon, hybrid teas and David Austins are usually expensive annuals here too. I just figure that since they are on their own roots they may have a better chance to survive our winter. I once read about some man in Alberta who covers his hundreds of tea roses with soil and carpets to overwinter them. Anybody ever see that man's garden?

I'm thinking you should change your code name to from Crazy Gardener to the "The Instigator".

o

Yes, I know the man your talking about his name is Donald Heimbecker of Calgary, although I have never seen his garden personally, he is on page 31 in the Lois Hole's Rose Favorites book. LOL

I think it was the Canadian Gardening show that I seen him on where he was giving the old carpet tip.

So did I instigate you to order! LOL

Sharon

o

Yes, that was Mr. Don Heimbecker from Calgary. His methods were very successful for him, and his gardens were much acclaimed. His methods did not prove popular, however, to many rose growers due to the efforts involved. (Also for us, the aesthetics of it in winter and the shoulder seasons were a drawback.) He got help with his spring/fall labors in recent years, apparently, and passed away last year, I believe. He put forth many useful innovations in rose keeping (e.g. dispelling the notion that getting water on the leaves causes mildew; washing the leaves with a water spray actually removes mildew spores [and aphids] and promotes health, as we have found).

Contrary to generalized belief, having roses on their own roots is not necessarily a good thing - the products of some breeding efforts (and I'm talking about some hybrid teas here) are simply too weak to flourish and they actually depend on the vigor of the rootstock.

When DH was doing the newsletter for the local rose society, his goal was promoting easier methods for wintering roses that more people would be willing to do. However, it really seemed even the simple methods he'd figured out (involving very heavy mulching with peat moss) were far more than most people were interested in doing. (On average, it seemed the society members at that time were content to lose half their roses each year, amazingly.)
So, growing tender roses as annuals, and simply accepting that, is actually a really excellent idea for most people !!! (A hard one to get people to accept, though.)

o

Yay! Roses! LOL Sharon soon I will be spreading Harison's Yellow like Johnny Appleseed. But don't say I didn't tell ya, it blooms only once. It's the end of June for me.
I planned my rose order last fall and didn't lose the piece of paper this time, so this is what I am planning to order...

Sunsprite (this has been recommeded to me as THE yellow floribunda - incredible growth, colour and perfume)
Peace (I don't want this particularly but I have made a promise to Grandma)
Tambourine
Bridal Pink
and most likely another Autumn Sunset, since I loved it so much.

I am ordering from Old Rose Nursery and Pickerings in order to find what I want. And I will probably have to order more to fill the shipping requirements - mwahahaha there is no stopping me. Sharon what the heck why didn't I know about Cedar Hollow? They have the Alba I have been looking for for years, Mme. Plantier. Perhaps I will have to give them a try too???

On the topic of own-root vs grafts, I do much prefer own-roots myself. People say that they take longer to get established, but OMG the four I planted last year took off like freeking bamboo. I bought New Dawn for my mom own-root and by fall the bloody thing had 1-1/2" stems and should have needed a license. It's an armed and dangerous rose.

But yes, it is true that some HTs need their rootstock to survive. Also, in Florida they need to use a particular rootstock that is resistant to nematodes native in the soil or the roses will not survive. But the fact is that grafting is generally done because it is faster and cheaper than propagating own roots. Anyway I have both because some roses just don't seem to be sold own-root.

LOL about the big metal ring... do you still have it? Harison's has reached proportions of 12' x 12' x 7' and I might need a big metal ring soon... hee hee.

Oh yeah &%%@$&*%# rabbits ate my Champlain. I am going to trap them this time I swear. I hate rabbits. I have two Basset hounds for WHAT exactly? Oh yeah to tell me where the rabbits were in the yard 2 hours ago. When they go outside it's nose to the ground and they look at me like, it went thattaway! Ate some of your rose, then went over there, then through the fence! Duh. I hope there is something left of Champlain when the snow melts.

o

Not planning on adding much in the rose department this year.......will wait and see what Wal-mart brings in...and probably impulse buy. They had a good selection last year, healthy and well priced.

Is it impulse buying if you know in advance that you will?

Sierra
P.S. NS..you need a shepherd. LOL!

o

I will be adding some Ts and floribundas, though that will have to wait due to moving to a new location. Any such tender roses will be planted up against the house where theyll benefit from having a warm root zone. I always protect my tender roses, though with being in such a location, they require less covering and come through winter much better.

A new rose that has impressed me is Morden Belle! The flowers are nice and it has the most incredible healthy shiny foliage!

Terry

o

OK Sharon now you've done it... you have really done it this time. Pickerings was out of the rose I really wanted, plus I didn't want to buy bareroot sticks at no cheaper shipping cost... and Old Rose Nursery is officially out of Mme. Plantier, so I said HEY! If Sharon says Cedar Hollow's good I will try them. So I completely overhauled my list and ordered the following:

3x Mme. Plantier (gonna make me a hedge)
1 x Sexy Rexy (been trying to get this one for years too)
1 x Sunsprite
1 x John Davis
1 x Mr. Lincoln (this was a major impulse buy - not everyday you find a classic hybrid tea on its own roots!)
Aaaaaah so excited! Their order form wasn't working so I had to e-mail them. Waiting for confirmation.

Sierra darn right I need a shepherd, maybe a security guard too. And a gardener LOL. People sneer at Walmart but their roses were very good there last year. I got Garden Party there and have been very happy with it. My strategy is to look for the healthiest one, and if it's something I might like I buy it. I don't go poking around half dead stuff looking for a favourite.

Terry good to see another rose zone pusher. ;) You're not MOVING and leaving your roses are you? :0 I live in a hovel because I can't leave my garden. Looking forward to seeing what you choose.

o

Questions for those growing climbing roses. Do you have to pull down the rose canes every winter and cover them? Or do they manage to over winter if they are left up 'au natural'? I'm thinking I would like to plant climbing roses, honeysuckle, hops and virginia creeper along my fence to hide it. There will be flower beds in front which I was planning on planting perennials and shrubs so I won't be able to bury them for the winter. Plus what varieties would you suggest? It is a white six foot high fence so I don't want all white roses. Plus scented is always good. Oh, and I don't mind buying one of each type of rose I want and then starting out more bushes by taking cuttings.

Syreeta

o

Syreeta, if you get a climbing Canadian Explorer you shouldn't have to take it down. Henry Kelsey would look stunning on a white fence... or John Cabot. I picked John Davis because it's supposed to be good n stinky. Might be a little pale pink for your needs.

I also struggle with the thought of leaving climbers up. Especially marginal ones like New Dawn, or Climbing Blaze or Autumn Sunset. But a lot of the vigorous climbers grow such thick canes (I'm talking about New Dawn here) that I don't know how you could ever take them down. My Grandma grew a massive Climbing Blaze for many (10+) years at my current house, and it was huge and beautiful. She always left the canes up all winter, but one year it suddenly died. Dunno why. Also, in terms of advising you, I don't know if my yard is *really* zone 2b as I seem to have better hardiness luck than others in 2b.

o

I have Henry Kelsey and John Davis...Threse Bugnet is another taller one. They seem to be doing well so far.

I always wanted a red climber for over the arch...but could never find one for this zone....

Sierra

o

Thanks for starting this, Sharon. I don't have any room for new roses this year but I do want to second your recommendation of Cedar Hollow. The two roses I got from there came through shipping in great shape and took right off. Prairie Youth grew so much that I haven't been able to cover it with snow yet.
Al, The white rose that I would like to try if I had room would be Marie Bugnet. We had such a poor showing from Morden Ammorette that we dug it up. In fact all the Morden roses, with the exception of Morden Blush just don't do well here and even at Morden their display bed in front of the main building was pretty ratty last summer.
Northspruce, I am glad to see that you haven't given up on zone pushing, but I am afraid we have. We planted "prairie Peace" last summer and are looking forward to seeing it bloom this summer. I still remember when my father planted "Peace" in 1947 and it will always be a special rose for me too.

o

Northspruce, I will be taking along whatever I can! Last year I had planted over a dozen types of rugosas (from Hortico) some of which had very LONG rootstocks and will be difficult to be digging out! Thankfully, all my older rugosas have suckers, as otherwise it would be impossible to be yanking them out! I also have MANY of my own seedlings, which will have to be coming along! LOTS of WORK ahead!

Terry

o

Sierra, Henry Hudson is a red climber. I just got him last summer, so i can't say anything about him yet, but maybe how he comes through the winter will let you know if he's the rose for you.

o

Marcia, I hate to disagree but I think you might be thinking of Henry Kelsey. Hudson's white. Not to speak for Sierra, but I seem to find all the climbing "red" Explorers (not to mention many, many other "medium reds") to be kind of a neither-here-nor-there almost red but more dark puce. Not that there is anything wrong with this, but I love a good real red rose. Like Champlain. Now if he would learn to climb... aaah.

o

Sharon what the heck why didn't I know about Cedar Hollow? Well then Gillian, you were not paying attention then, I did tell everyone about it last year. LOL ;)

Same here Leo, I was so satisfied with the roses I ordered last year! I had asked here last year if anyone had ordered from them and I think one lady from the Canada Forum gave a positive comment, so really I was taking a gamble and triumphed and would recommend them to all you rose lovers! When I do order live plants, I will select Express post so that they will not be in transit for so many days. When they arrive, their leaves will be unfurled. I read somewhere, I think it was the pamphlet they send out with your roses, that they root them in their greenhouses, so you wont get any bare canes, at least I didnt have any. Mine did too Leo, once planted they really took off, of course with the abundance of rain last year, this really aided with their growth.

I had to Google up Mme. Plantier and that is one beautiful rose! Let me know the hardiness in a couple of year Gil, I just might have to add that one to my never-ending want list ;)

I do too, I much prefer own-root roses over grafted, why because theyre the only ones that are truly bullet-proof hardy here in my zone! If the canes happen to die back severely from a harsh winter, theyll usually come back and surprise you by emerging from their roots. Im not one to fuss over, winter protecting/ bury climbers/ spraying roses, nor do I want them to be annuals, so I just dont buy hybrid Ts. But, if they happen to be on sale at Walmart this year, hmmmm, then I might reconsider ;)

P.S. NS... amusing story about your dogs! LOL

Im saddened with the Walmart staff near me, last year they had their pots crammed/ stacked 3 rows high under shelves and not getting any sun. I did manage to save 3 roses that were still in good shape and on sale and to my surprise on the label, a big yellow banner that said Own-Root Roses. Sold!

Sharon

o

Does anyone grow EarthSong? I've been drooling after EarthSong, but I doubt I'll get the chance to try it this year.

I think I will try Jeanne Lajoie, though. If PrairieGal can grow it in zone2/3 and have it get 2 to 3 feet every year, surely I can grow it, too.

Sharon

o

Sharon, glad to hear that you're trying Hawkeye Belle. I hope she does as well for you as she's done for me. I'm running out of room for roses in my exsisting beds and I refuse to dig anymore this year as I want to finish up the area around the pond this summer......that's my goal anyway. I did see that Cedar Hollow had Folksinger, another Buck rose. I did have two of these from Pickering's but one didn't survive the winter and the other seemed to really struggle last year and only gave me 2 or 3 blooms, but maybe it would do better on it's own root. I really liked it for it's wonderful fruity scent and nice peach/apricot colour, but I don't think that Cedar Hollow's picture of Folksinger is the right one as it's got way too many petals. OK, I think I have myself talked into one more rose.............

o

You're right, Gillian - wrong name! I've just been calling him Henry - he's a handsome devil, but, no, the colour isn't a true red, more of a dark, dark pink. That kind of thing disappoints me too. It was like that with my clematis, Cardinal Rouge. Rouge = red, but it ISN"T really red, so it has been renamed "Cardinal Not-So-Rouge". :)

o

Yup I agree...My Henry Kelsey is not really REALLY red either.

Walmart here made boxes out lined in wood all around their sheltered area garden center. This is where they place their potted roses, trees and larger plants....and I haven't seen them stacked. But the thing is...to get them when they first come in....for best choice and health.

Sierra

o

My local Walmart had their roses out in a single layer on big pallets last year, and they were kept well watered. I definitely agree about getting there early though.

I re-faxed my Cedar Hollow order this morning after e-mail confirmation last night that all my roses are in stock (yay!) but they needed a fax. And what do you know, I had ordered 7 but the shipping went up at 9... so of course "Celestial" added herself to the order. I am so so bad. I had to add something pink for you Laurie, yeah that's it. ;)

I'm interested in getting into Albas more - I used to have a hard time buying once-bloomers, but we all find room for lilacs don't we? And forsythia, philadelphius, fruit trees, what's wrong with once blooming? At least the old roses have pretty leaves when they're done flowering. The Albas as a group are quite hardy and many do well in part shade.

o

Gil, I have Celestial (Alba), I can't remember when I bought it, I think it was way back in the day when Russian Roses for the North was still in business, anyway it is indeed very hardy.

Did you notice that Harison's Yellow is more $ from the others, apparently they are difficult to root.

I don't know if you know about this company as well, Cornhill Nursey sells own-roots too ;)

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornhill Nursery

o

Oh no you don't Sharon, I know about Corn Hill, and Heirloom Roses, and Old Rose Nursery, all own-root money eaters LOL. I wouldn't want to pay shipping from the Maritimes unless it was something I absolutely had to have. Even the shipping from Old Rose Nursery (in BC) was pretty shocking, although I was very happy with their quality. The other thing that turned me off is that they don't seem to update their availability list and last year I got 2 out of 4 substitutions.

If Celestial is hardy for you I don't think you should have trouble with Albas. But I will keep you posted on Madame P. anyway.

I noticed that Harison's is more expensive and yes I have actually tried to root it experimentally, with no success. It's still immoral to charge extra though, the thing suckers like crazy, you can just dig a new one out. Guess that's not how they do it. If you lived nearby you could just come over with a shovel. I get at least 5 good suckers a year that I just have to mow because they're in the lawn.

o

Oh no you don't Sharon, I know about Corn Hill

LOL, that reminds me of that nicotine gum commercial on tv, where the sexy woman tries to instigate the man in the bar to light up a cigarette, he says no to her and she gets all mad and turns into a lit' devil and walks off.
hmmm, that's me! LOL

Sharon

o

Thanks for the information about climbing roses. Now that I know I don't have to bury the canes I can start looking and trying to decide. I'm heading down to Vancouver Island in June. Maybe I could swing a trip over to see Old Rose Nursery? I wonder....

Syreeta

o

Those explorer roses can be great! A guy in my old rose society up north called Wm. Baffin T-Rex! ;-) In WI I grew once bloomers like Mme. Hardy, Rosa gallica versicolor (Rosa Mundi), Fantin-Latour and Kognin von Danemark with ZERO protection. Compt de Chambord had no winter kill either and repeats! Reine des Violettes only had a little frost bite without any cover. Baronne Prevost had cane winter kill to the snow line but bloomed on new wood. I had a handful of grafted HTs in my Green Bay, WI for 20 years. Yes, they died back to the ground over the winter, but most of them bounced back once the soil warmed. I just buried the bud union 3+ inches deep. I had the HT Dublin on its own roots. It took it a couple of years to get to the same vigor as the grafted roses. Most minis are sold own root so I had a lot of these. They bloom more than the larger roses.

o

Hi Peggy, good to see a roses regular visiting in the Far North :-) What a big shift in gardening for you, you will be able to try new things! Plant a tea rose for me...

o

Yes I have Earth song and Golden Unicorn -both lovley in cold climate
K

Here is a link that might be useful: Earth song

o

Ca you guys help me out with something? I want to get my mom a cold hardy rose (she lives in Edmonton AB, zone 3). She likes a really red red (she's chinese if that helps visualize), something low maintenance that won't require too much work in the fall for winter protection or care in general (she's 65 and slowed dow a lot over the last couple of years, so I don't expect her to want to do too much work).

I'm looking in the Vessey Bulb catalogue and they have Modern Fireglow (page 45) and Hunter (page 46). What do you guys think of these or is there some other variety I should be considering?

Thanks a bunch!

Steph

o

Morden Fireglow is more of a bright orange......and needs to be covered in straw in the fall here.

Have a look at Morden Cardenette. Its red and bloomed wonderfully for me last summer. I had just planted it in the spring though.....so don't know how it will winter.

None of my roses got covered last fall.....so will see how they fair come spring.

Sierra

o

Stephanite,
'Champlain' is the only more-or-less true red rose in the hardy 'Explorer' series; it stays fairly short - about 2' tall, not much more than that. We have 'The Hunter' also, slightly less hardy, but a decent rose. We don't protect either of them.
Lori

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 8, 06 at 17:09

Ive had Adalaide Hoodless for a couple years and it seems fairly hardy..I did lose a bit off the tips of her canes last year..it has grown slowly for me...savona
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

Here's my Champlain. It is really really red. Red is for happiness in China, isn't it? I think I heard that.

It also blooms all the time!

o

Thanks for all the help again, guys! I think I'm leaning towards the Chaplain. It looks like it's about the right size for where I want to put it and a very nice red. Red means happiness, luck, and all that good stuff. My mom isn't so much a superstitious Chinese woman, but she is really into things that look chinese so she's really into the bold red.

I remember when I was young, she had a really nice little rose plant. Then one year, my dad "weeded" it and it was gone. She never did replace it, but she will still complain every now and then about that.

Sierra, it's been so mild, I don't know if you really have to worry about the lack of winter protection. :D

o

Well, I just ordered 'Golden Unicorn' from Lindenberg's. It's on it's own root, so I'm hopeful that it'll do well and be hardy. It's a similar colour to 'Folksinger', which I was thinking of getting again, but maybe the one I have will surprise me and grow into a huge, beautiful specimen this year! ;)

I also ordered a peony 'Leto' and a bloodroot(sanguinaria) which I've been wanting to try for years. Also a few seeds, ornamental kale, pansies 'Swiss Giants', and gazania 'Sunshine Mixed Colours'.

Laurie

o

Way to go Sharon et al.! Now I'm rose hunting! I'll let you know what I decide on. Great idea for climbing roses on my 100 feet of fence. It's white now but I'm hoping to paint it a taupy color this spring. But I still want the fence to disappear. I've got Virginia Creeper from the Saskatoon Farm that I planted last year, but hmmm interspersed with some lovely Henry Kelsey? I have to watch it though as I'm really hoping to make the fence disappear behind a screen of trees and shrubs, so maybe just some shrub roses. Decisions, decisions.
Kate

o

Okay. Here's my wish list for this year. Who started this thread a couple of days after I started thinking, 'roses are shrubs. I need a lot more shrubs for my huge tree and shrub border'. Oh, Sharon, the Instigator. I've kind of got an Explorer theme going on here with a couple of other beauties thrown in. On the strength of recommendations I think I'll order from Cedar Hollow:
Home for Humanity (Parkland series)
Alexander McKenzie (Explorer)
Champlain (Explorer)
David Thompson (Rugosa)
De Montarville (Explorer)X 3
George Vancouver (Explorer)
Lambert Closse (Explorer)
Quadra Rose (Explorer)
Topaz Jewel (Rugosa) X 3
Kate
Ka

o

Kate, you're including roses to your already awesome landscaping, all I can say is you're going to have one heck of a gorgeous garden!

Sharon

o

I've had good luck with "Ramblin' Red". Listed as a climber, hardy zone 3, reblooms and has lovely true red blooms which resemble a hybrid tea. One of it's parents is "Henry Kelsey". It is much prettier than "Henry". The voles ate the three bushes I have, right to ground level but they resprouted and grew to about 4 feet!! Great rose!

o

Oh yes I have seen pics of Ramblin' Red, someone on the roses forum last year had a great pic of it on a white arbor. I had forgotten the name of it. I have my concerns that it would be completely hardy for the really cold zoners though, if voles ate yours we don't know how cane hardy it is. Four feet is impressive for one season but not a whole climber's worth if you wanted it to cover something. Still, it does have a very nice colour and bloom form.

I'm getting worried about Mme. Plantier now, people on the Antique Roses forum are saying it's not that hardy at all. Contrary to everything I have read in print. Guess I will just have to see. At least my location for them is very sheltered.

o

I tried Mme. Plantier in zone 4 several years ago but I lost it that first winter. I didn't give it any cover and it was out in the open. I guess it is an alba and noisette cross so it is a tad more tender than most albas. Hopefully you have good snow cover and the spot is sheltered.

o

I am zone 4 but have found that zone 4 roses haven't lasted through the winter. I have a bed that is about 2-3 feet deep and 50 ish feet long that I was hoping to do a row of shrub roses. I currently have 2 successful single bloom roses that come up for two years on that side. (East side of house) I was loking at Morden Blush or Winnipeg Parks because I wanted low growing continuous bloom. Anyone have any other suggestions? (I'm new to zone 3-4 area and have been killing roses for about 3 years..)

Thanks!

o

Hi CTT, do you know the name of the roses you have growing successfully right now? I think you are on the right track looking for a hardy, easy-care rose. Winnipeg Parks is hardy and easy to grow, and looks really nice in a mass planting like you describe. Another nice one would be Champlain (as I was talking about earlier in this thread), a dark red which never stops blooming. Both of these are low growing shrubs. They are not susceptible to disease, at least not around here. I have heard mixed reports on some of the Morden roses, perhaps they are not as easy as they are supposed to be. Some people on this forum grow them well though.

Whatever roses you end up planting, make sure you dig a big hole and mix in lots of compost, pack the dirt down around the planted roots, and make sure they get frequent waterings for the first summer. In cold zones it is best to plant in spring. If you give them a little TLC and they really thrive during their first summer, they will have a much better chance of surviving the winter and after that you should not have to worry about them too much.

o

Thank you!

I'm thinking a row of the WP or Champlin with Stella De Oro's in front and some annual alyssum or lobellia in front

o

When you say you're looking for low growing roses, what height are you actually wanting? From what I've seen of Morden Blush it usually reaches up around 4' tall. Winnipeg Parks on the other hand, I would consider low growing, as mine only gets to between 18" to 24". For me, Morden Blush blooms far more than WP. Another one I would recommend is Morden Centennial. You hardly ever see that one without blooms once it's established. For a buttery yellow colour, I absolutely love JP Connell. But it too gets 4'-5' tall, but it's gorgeous.

I think one of the biggest concerns with roses in cold areas is to make sure that graft union is buried DEEP, a minimum of 5". Also look at getting roses on their own root, as they will come back true if they happen to go through a tough winter and die back to ground level.

There really are dozens of hardy roses to choose from that should do well in your zone. Maybe is there a lack of snow cover in your area that's causing the bad luck with roses? If that's the case then you may have to look at mulching with straw or something for the winter.

Laurie

o

Well I was hoping to have it cover the stone foundation of our house - (1890's)House is yellow but the foundation is lovely (sarcasm) crumbly gray stone. 4 feet would be ok - but I don't really want any taller than that. I wanted as everblooming as possible - color not as important - but something that pops against the yellow (this is the side you see from the road) would be nice.

o

Don't worry northspruce my Mme. Plantier is going on its fourth year. She dies back to the snow but I still get blooms and they smell oh so good.

o

Robert you are my new best friend! :-) I was really needing to hear that. I will be sure to wrap them in burlap and leaves for the winter and maximize the snow cover.

o
RE: Killing Roses

CTT, I was just thinking, when people say "I kill roses", I always want to find out why. It might just be winter cold in your case, but two things came to mind when you mentioned your wall that might make roses not do well for you.

One is that if the roses are behind or even near the drip line of the eaves, it is very important to keep them well watered. Especially if it is a south exposure, they will dry out fast in hot weather. Also, if it's not a south exposure, they might not be receiving enough sun to grow properly.

The second point is that if you are in an alkaline soil area, and the wall that is deteriorating was made of limestone or concrete, the soil could be have a very elevated pH and roses don't like that. Off the top of my head I think it inhibits their iron uptake and causes chlorisis and poor growth. You might want to have your soil pH tested, and if it is alkali you can add peat moss to the soil (which is a nice amendment anyway), use an acidifying fertilizer such as Miracid, and/or apply chelated iron. Sorry if that sounds complicated. The roses you are looking at are not all that picky anyway, you might not need to worry.

I also wanted to mention, when you decide on your roses, it sounds like you might be buying a lot. Some retailers offer what they call "bands", which is a small pot with a very young (cheaper) own-root rose and the smaller size also saves on shipping. They take a little longer to grow up but it might make the difference of a few dollars per rose.

o

thanks! the 'killing' saga. I believe most of the roses I purchased were grafted - bloomed beautifully the first year and then years 2& 3 they didn't bloom at all - got extremely leggy in many cases (even climbing with my clematis) - no buds or flowers. Maybe Huey stock? I don't want one time bloomers - summer is too short here to wait anxiously for once bloomers.

o

Yeah that sounds like Dr. Huey rootstock. Dr. Huey isn't even a great cold zone rootstock, multiflora is the best if you can't get an own-root rose. Of course you might have multiflora suckers, I don't know.

Get own-roots, or else bury the grafts deeper as Laurie said. They will do fine.

o

I recommend Morden Centennial too.

o

These are perfect! How old are your plants?

o

Has anyone tried MORDEN BELLE? ... it is said to be an improvement over Morden Centennial. It has very nice pink blooms and the most awesome shiny foliage! I think this one shall become very popular!

Terry

o

This is the only rose besides a rugosa I've had come up successfully - any thoughts on what it might be and which color of Morden rose would look nice with it?
oops - can't figure out how to paste it into the message..

it's bright pink with white inside and a yellow center - kind of like an old fashioned carfree beauty but much deeper pink.

o

Talking about rootstalks, I got The Fairy rose from Walmart last year, and it was grafted onto a rootstalk that seemed to have bluish green foliage. Could that be a Rosa glauca (or R. rubrifolia) that it's grafted onto?

Thanks,
Sharon

o

ctowntransplant, those roses are about 7 years old, some years have more winterkill than others, a little pruning here and there and they always come back.

Sharon

o

I just found this site. I live in central Sk and have been growing roses for 15 years. I never winter protect and haven't lost a rose yet. I roughly have 70 roses. I mainly have explorer and parkland roses. Last year I purchased a couple of Buck roses, so I'll see how they fair the winter. Secrets to sucess for me are simple. I buy own root roses, plant them deep,water lots and fertilize regularly. I too ordered from Cedar Hollow this year, so I'm glad that there has been positive feedback from others. Last year I ordered from Vally K Greenhouses and was quite happy with them. I've ordered from them again.

o

Welcome to the forum sazzyrose! Wow, 70 roses! Your yard must be just lovely in the peak of bloom season. I'm curious as to which Buck roses you have? So far I've over-wintered 2 Hawkeye Belle's and 1 Folksinger, and killed 1 Folksinger and 2 Prairie Stars. These were all grafted, so maybe on their own root they'd be better. I've ordered Golden Unicorn (own root) for this spring, so I'm hoping I'll have better luck.

Laurie

o

The Buck roses that I planted last year were Prairie Princess and Prairie Star. I can't say enough about Prairie Star. I liked it so much that I ordered another. Also on order this year are Applejack, Aunt Honey, Carefree Beauty, Country Dancer, Folksinger, Golden Unicorn and Hawkeye Belle. Other varieties that I ordered this year are Abraham Darby, Marie Bugnet, Yellow Submarine, Quadra, Nicholas, Rosarium Uetersen, Jacques Cartier, Rose de Rescht, Reines de Violettes, Rugelda and William Booth. I know that I am taking a gamble on some of these, but I could have worse addictions. Three additions that I planted last year were outstanding- Frontenac, Morden Belle and Quadra. Bloom, bloom, bloom and totally disease free. Other favorites of mine are Morden Sunrise, Alexander Mackenzie and Prairie Joy.

o

I hope you have better luck with Prairie Star than I did. It was a beautiful rose, sigh. One of them had a little bit of green cane just at ground level this spring, but I may have uncovered them too soon and it died :(

o

sharons2, you don't want your rootstalk to produce foliage! R. glauca is a nice species, but if it continues to sprout (sucker) it will take over the top hybrid. The sucker will have to be removed (yanked!) with a downward motion - not just cut off.

o

The rootstock is more likely Rosa multiflora - on which the leaves can have a greeny-bluish cast - than R. glauca...unless there are some producers out there starting to use some unususal rootstocks.

o

YaY!!! I can finally sign in.......it wouldn't let me sign in this morning.....I was beginning to wonder what I had did that was sooooo bad to get the boot. :O

I have a rose question.....ya ya I know I said I wasn't planning any roses for this year....

However...last summer some of you on here posted pics of yellow roses....I think the names were harison's yellow and maybe persian yellow.....I believe that someone said that one of these bloomed all summer.....the question is which one......and or do I have the names wrong? Any pics?

Thanks!
Sierra

o

Ah there you are Sierra, thought I heard a whimpering noise just outside the forum ;0)

Persian and Harison's Yellows are the names, but both are once-bloomers. Unfortunately. Harison's is insanely hardy, Persian slightly less so. Harison's has a mild citrus scent, Persian Yellow has a funny yeasty smell.

Errrr I can't find my pic of the whole shrub right now... will post from work later. Here are some closer flowers.

o

Sierra, if you are looking for a yellow have you tried Morden Sunrise. I get more comments on that rose than any of the others. Pictures that I have seen just don't do it justice. It blooms non stop for me.

o

SazzyRose, do you have a picture of Morden Belle? How does it compare with Morden Centennial? Have you tried Buck's EarthSong rose?

I thought you might be able to tell what rootstock I probably have. I don't think I really want a Rosa multiflora. With a rose from Walmart, I sincerely doubt that it's on an unusual rootstock, so ... so much for getting myself a Rosa glauca out of it, too. Oh, well. I will rip the suckers off as soon as it peeks above the snow in Spring. Maybe I could still try cuttings of The Fairy and end up with my very own own-root rose.

Sharon

o

Gil....Ahh disappointing that they are only once bloomers. I remember seeing the pic of the full shrub and fell in love with it. So this pic is Harisons then? I still like it even if only a once bloomer. Will be looking for it this spring. I have a spot for it even.....in the front yard...hee hee.

sazzyrose......Yes I have Morden sunrise.....she is one of my favorites as well. I also really like Morden Cardinette (red) that I added last year......will see how it fairs through this winter.

Thanks for the info!
Sierra

o

Sharon2...No I don't have a picture of of Morden Belle. I spend all my money on plants and kids. I was planning on buying a digital camera last year but a wind storm came along and we had to shingle the house. Late fall I thought I could do it but the water heater sprang a leak. Never ends does it. I prefer Morden Belle over Centennial. The flowers are a bit lighter pink and fuller. I bought Morden Belle from Valley K Greenhouses last year and I know they have a picture posted there. It is a very vigorous rose. The plants that I got were around 10" tall and after a couple months it was as big and bushy as the 1-2 gallon roses that I had bought locally. Morden Belle was in bloom all the time too. More so than my Morden Centennial. I haven't tried Earthsong yet,maybe in the future if I can find her on her own roots. Some of the Bucks, I've been told, don't grow all that well on their own roots. Because of my zone I will not buy a rose that is not on their own roots, so I don't know a thing about root stalk. Call me stubborn, but it seems to be working for me.
Sierra...I also purchased Morden Cardinette last year. Beautiful red blooms. I had trouble with mildew on it. I kept hacking her down (and spraying) and the mildew kept coming back. She got it quite bad. We had a really, really wet summer so I know that was part of the problem. Did you have any problems with mildew on yours. A couple years ago I bought a Cuthbert Grant which turned out not to be a Cuthbert Grant. This mislabled rose looks just like Morden Cardinette without the mildew. The flowers and the leaves were the same. I,m wondering if it is a different Explorer. I will be on a search mission this spring. Also if your looking for a yellow rose I ordered Yellow Submarine from Valley K. They said it was tested in Manitoba for hardiness.

o

Has anyone purchased from Jung Seeds? Was it a good or bad experience? Thanks!

o

sazzyrose, No no problem with mildew on Morden Cardinette. I was worried though because it was planted along the edge of the veggie garden and it spread further than I though it would in one summer....so it was kind of lost up against the pea fence and lilies and a few other things. LOL. But it was a trooper and continued to bloom and bloom. I'll have to look up Yellow submarine.

Morden 'Cardinette'

JP Connel

Morden 'sunrise'

Sierra

o

Love that shot of Morden 'Sunrise' Sierra. I think I need one ;)

o

I love the petal shading on Morden Sunrise... reminds me of porcelain for some reason.

Sierra, here's my Harison's Yellow. The little pest in the bottom right is Spud, who poses for pictures on command.

o

Aww, he's so cute! Nice rose too.......

o

Oh yaaaaaaaa......that is what I remembered the shrub being covered in flowers.....yup...I'll definately be looking for that ONE this year.

Mr. or Ms. Potato is cute too. LOL!

Sierra

o

I never ordered from Jungs, but I remember someone saying they had a good experience with Jungs on the regular GW Rose Forum a while back.

o

Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 15:10

NS your Harrison's yellow is fantastic...
Near my MIL's place they were demolishing a house last summer we were told to take any plants etc we wanted from the site..there was a yellow rose that suckered all through the grass (the place hadnt been lived in for 2 or 3 years and nothing was done to the garden)..my MIL said the rose only bloomed once during the summer as far as she could tell..making a long story shorter..lol..we dug up several suckers and divided them amoungst the family..ours bushed out nicely by the end of summer and set buds late,not in time to open...I am so looking forward to what yellow rose this could be..hoping it will be the harrison's yellow...savona

o

Savona, is your Topaz Jewel rose still going? If so do you cover it with straw every winter still?

Sierra

o

Tue, Mar 14, 06 at 17:04

Hi Sierra..yes I still have my poor Topaz Jewel..I nearly killed her off last summer...the big moss basket dripped on her and stripped all of the leaves off her...I moved her to an open bed and she was recovering nicely by the end of summer..I do cover her base with straw over winter, and considering the last couple years with little snow cover it is probably a good thing...savona

o

Thanks Savona. For what it's worth, "yellow roses from an abandoned building site" have a good chance to be Harison's Yellow. It's an old variety, easy to care for, and makes suckers, so it ends up all over the place. My grandma (who is 92) got this one from the mother of the old lady who lived next door in the 50's... it's got quite the pedigree. Mine blooms in the last week of June - it might be into July for you with the cooler summers.

o

This winter was a good winter for roses. My 6 ft John Cabot is green to the very tips. This is the first winter that this has ever happened for me. This bush is over 15 years old. I waddled through the snow to examine my last year plantings and found similar results. Alot of these roses are still all covered with snow, including my baby- Prairie Star. I'll have to wait longer to see if this one and my other favorites have lived.

o

I did a walk around recently and had a look at the roses that didn't get covered last fall.....it looks like most are green to the tips.....I will have to have a look at the mordens still...one is under snow still and JP Connel. But if the others are a good indication, then I would say they faired okay.

Sierra

o

It sure looks like it was a good winter for roses. Quite a bit of snow has melted in the last 2 days here, and I've finally been able to get to my roses.
Now, Gillian, you were wanting to know if my Scentimental made it through the winter, so I checked and sure enough, there's about 6" of green cane. Now I've had roses show some green cane before and then croak later in the spring, so I won't be counting my chickens, er, roses yet! But here's the weird thing, I didn't cover Scentimental with anything. There was a good 2 feet of snow over it and that's it. I did shovel some more snow over it today, so I'll wait and see how it does. Of course I did cover Hawkeye Belle and it seems to be green to the tips, along with Bonica, DeMontarville, Lambert Closse and Morden Centennial. Even Folksinger had green showing above the mounded soil. I really didn't have much hope last fall for 'Love' surviving, so I only piled some carrot tops over top of it, and today I did see a little bit of green just above ground level. If that one survives, it'll be a miracle!
So barring any -20 degree cold snaps, it may be a good year for roses...........knock on wood ;^)

Laurie

o

Laurie,
Just thought I'd let you know that Prairie Star is green to the tips for me. I'm crossing my fingers for warm nights from now on.

o

That's great news Sazzyrose! I sure wish mine had survived last winter:( Actually the other night, at a garden club meeting, I found out how I may have helped to kill it. I had used a styrofoam rose hut over it without cutting ventilation holes in it. Apparently that is a big no-no according to the rose expert who spoke that night. Oh,well, now I know better.

o

Anyone get their order from Cedar Hollow yet? I am holding my breath again and about to pass out. Gasp!

o

No, I haven't received my order of 12 roses yet from Cedar Hollow . I told them not to ship them out until after the 20th. After last years cold spring, I was scared to get them shipped out any sooner. I'm also waiting for an order of 10 roses yet from Valley K Greenhouses. I received some from them last year and was quite pleased with the roses. I'm also waiting for Kaleidoscope from Dominion House. I did recieve 3 bareroot roses from Lindenberg. They are in the ground already. I ordered 2 Golden Unicorn and 1 Jacques Cartier. I was very pleased with the size. In fact I also ordered some Siberian Iris and the size of these were quite large as well. I will be ordering from Lindenberg again. I purchased some roses last Friday from Zosels Tree Farm. Her roses are huge. They are close to being full grown for $13.95. I picked up a Topaz, another Morden Sunrise, 2 more Hunter and 1 Cuthbert Grant. I'm not sure where I'm putting all of these but I will make room.
Shelley (Who said that she was going to buy no more than 10 roses this year)

o

Gil, I phoned in my payment to Cedar last week, Lynn said my order would be shipped out on the 8th (yesterday) as requested, which means they should be here today or tomorrow or for sure by Friday. Geez, I can't even remember what the heck I ordered, oh yes, I do recall one of them was the Harrison Yellow, Yippie ;)
Ok, where I'm I going to plant these! Breath, breath, breath!

Sharon

o

Doh! I don't think I need to call in the payment, I gave them the credit card # and they said they would charge it when they shipped.

Perhaps I will give them a call and tell them I am ready?

o

Sharon does the breath, breath breath help find places to plant......or does Gil just know the secrets on how to squish more plants in the garden. Hmmmmmm

Where am I going to put my new roses? Oh ya in the Veggie garden haha

Sierra

o

Gil, if you have already phoned in your payment, then you should be getting yours right away too. They ask you on the order form when you want your order shipped out, but anyway phone her to see, I'm sure she'll send them out asap when your ready for them.

LOL, Sierra, yes maybe Gil has a secret! Please share with us Gil!

The thing is that I DO have the space (20 Acres), but that means that I will have to break more ground! I think I have enough space right now for 4 in the rose garden, the others will have to go in the perennial gardens. Will see when they get here. LOL

Sharon

o

Nooo I don't have a lot of room, just a fairly large city lot. I just have to practice a wee bit of self control (but not too much!) and remember not to compare my garden to some of you gals with acreages ;0)

o

Sazzyrose,:
how far apart do you plant your roses. My front is just roses and I have 2 more to plant, waiting for a least May long.

Stephanite:
a ways you was wondering on a hardy beautiful red rose for your mother or m.i.l., I think (if you still need a rose) the Winnipeg Parks Rose is absolutely beautiful and seems to bloom till frost and also appears to be extremely hardy.

RE: Climbers
The only climber I have had success with is the Red Blaze, can anyone recommend another very hardy climber, not pink or red, also I don't lay by climber down in the winter I just leave it be and do some trimmin in the spring, so I would like a climber that is low maintenance.

Thanks (newby) Annie

o

The distance that I plant my roses depends on the variety. My bigger ones are 4 or 5 ft apart while the smaller ones are around 2.5 ft apart. I like air to be able to circulate around them to keep diseases down to a minimum.
As for climbers, the only climber that I have that isn't pink is America. It was just a baby last spring and didn't perform all that great, but the colour was lovely. It is a full flowered coral/orange rose. It died back to 2 ft, but is showing lots of vigor this spring. So hopfully I get more blooms. It also had a very lovely fragrance.
Shelley

o

Annie, I purchased Polestar (Polstjrnam) climber last year and this year its already about 4-5' tall! According to my Lois Hole Rose book its supposed to be rampant reaching to 15-18 feet, I gotta see this!

Very bullet proof hardy with no winter kill on the branches. It is recommended that you don't prune heavily, because the rose blooms on old wood, if you do so, you'll have few flowers.
I will for sure take a photo when it blooms (3wks mid-summer). Small pure white double flowers, little or no scent.

Sharon

o

Sharon, that is one that I have wanted for years and years. I believe it is a once-bloomer though, is it not? I read that it is very popular in Sweden and will grow up into trees as it is shade-tolerant. I'm excited to hear that it is cane hardy. I wondered.

I got another new one today, Mom bought me Kordes' Perfecta in a bucket from Walmart. I gave her my Want List. LOL. She phoned me and told me there was only one and she wanted it for her garden so I threatened her with a nasty Round-Up accident and she gave it to me :0) I'm so mean.

o
Whoops

Oops I meant Finland, not Sweden although I imagine it is popular there too.

o

Wed, May 10, 06 at 14:24

Me too Me too!!..Ever since I seen it in Lois Hole's rose book I have wanted one..savona

o

Well I finally went downstairs to grab 3 roses I had bought about 3 weeks ago or maybe even more, the shoots on these roses are now about 2 to 3 feet long. The leaves are starting to wilt, the soil or pouch they were in is still moist, so I am assuming it is lack of sun. I put them downstairs cause I didnt want them to do anything till it was time to put them in the ground.

So I soaked them all day, and I am going to put them in the ground tomorrow, I think it is still too soon, (if only our weather was more predictable).

Does this seem ok, is there any tips and pointers I should know, ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE IT.......am I doing everything right? I have never bought Roses so soon in the season, but if I dont buy them then there wont be any nice ones to pick later. These roses are also in a pouch not a pot. I also dont usually buy roses in the pouchy bag, but they sure were pretty and I thought I would try.

Thanks
Annie

o

Annie, I bought a two new roses in bags this spring (they're affectionately called body bag roses LOL) and planted them straight out. It's stressful for them to be in a bag of cardboard and sawdust and the sooner you plant them the better.

Don't cover them unless the temperature drops below 0 at night (eagle eye on the forecast my dear!), then you can loosely wrap them in burlap or turn a large pot over top or whatever you have.

Roses, even the tender ones, are surprisingly durable once they have been hardened off. And you mentioned existing roses growing back from the bottom. It's totally normal for roses to die back to the ground over the winter in our cold climate. If they are putting on good growth from the ground already, that's a good sign. Also keep in mind that these canes are born hardened off, so only cover them if it freezes.

In terms of pruning, usually I wait until the beginning of June to see what is actively putting out leaves - anything else is probably dead and can come off. After that it's just deadheading and a little tidying up for shape in our zone. Real pruning takes place down south where the roses are green all year and never die back from cold.

Hope that helps a little!

o

So growth from the ground is a good sign. So are you telling me my roses have been sad all these years, because this is the first time that I have noticed only this type of growth, the only rose I did not cut back is the climber, just because of the fact that it is a climber. Now this is kinda funny, usually it has alot of growth by now on the stems and stalk of course, it is the very FIRST one to show any signs of life in the spring and the LAST one to fall into domancy in the winter. However this year (with all the unusual things happening to my roses, apparently good, yeah) my climber is LAST to show me any signs of regrowth, just now I am noicing some and very little for that matter.

I guess we had an odd winter and has affected all my plants differently, my Monks Hood is thrilled to be up and out and bigger than normal, my primrose and foxglove dont even look like they went thru winter (still green) and that Impatient that magically appeared from the ground, blew me away. My apple tree has never had so many blooms in all the years I have had it. I have 5 Clematis and only 2 are showing signs (they were all good last year!?!@?). And of course the roses decide to play with me. I ahve many more but these guys just caught my attention with their different behavior.

Anyone else going thru this, maybe it is me. Amyway because everything seems so lively and greener than normal, I covered everything all up again cause the nights do drop below 0 still, next week they will be warmer so I will uncover them on Sunday.

It is alot to cover and uncover, they are covered all day long. Do you think they will suffer if covered during the day for a week???

Thanks
Annie

o

Well, if you don't have time to uncover them and you're really worried, I won't tell you to leave them uncovered. I don't know about leaving them covered for a week because I've never done it. The way I see it is that they need to toughen up eventually. And after a week under wraps, if you expose them suddenly to bright hot sun, they might just burn. But again, I don't know because I've never done it.

To be more specific about canes... most non-hardy roses will die back to the ground (or nearly so) in winter. This means they have no choice but to grow new canes from the ground. This isn't necessarily better than regrowing leaves off last year's canes, it's just usually the best we can hope for.

I don't know if you mentioned what kind of roses you have. Hardy roses are more likely to be cane hardy which means they don't die back to the ground, and can therefore just send out some leaves in the spring and keep going. In my garden, this is Canadian Explorers, Harison's Yellow, and Rosa gallica versicolor. The rest have at least partial dieback.

In either case, during the growing season you may see large, strong canes coming up from the ground level. These are called basal breaks. When a cane sends out bushy side shoots (as opposed to basals), these are called laterals. Each basal can only form so many laterals, so basals are very desireable because they add hugely to the overall rose bush. They mean the bush is happy and growing. I have read that watering with Epsom Salts increases the incidence of basal breaks.

Basal breaks of course are not to be confused with suckers, which are when the rootstock (on grafted/budded roses) is growing up and taking over the rose. This is a bad thing.

I hope this wasn't too much information!!

o

Well they have all been exposed all there lives, they are tough. The only reason I covered them is because I cut them back to about 6" off the ground. Kinda like getting a buzz cut in the spring, those with hair probably dont need a touque at -1 but the buzz cut person would. That is the way I looked at it. Maybe not a good idea.

Maybe I should uncover them, yeah maybe I will.

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo...

What I should have done was not cut them back, I should have just stuck with my usuual routine, but I have to mess things up.....Nothing was broke but I had to fix it anyway.........
WOW good thing this isnt heart surgery..........lol.........

Thanks alot, lol
Annie

o

Yes Gil, Polestar is a onetime-bloomer, although it should bloom for about 3 weeks. Will see this year how it preforms ;)

Sharon

o

Annie,

What I do with my roses is wait quite a while before I cut them back. I have been looking at my roses, but I haven't touched them yet. At some point towards the end of the month or perhaps in early June, I will then prune them, when I am sure that there is actually die back or just to thin out some of the older canes. It doesn't look like much die back this year, though.

If your roses are alive.....then pruning them back, shouldn't hurt them......they should put out new growth fairly quickly. As for covering them.....I don't think it matters either way....at this time of year.

Don't worry, we all make mistakes, this is how we learn!

Sierra

o

Sharon, I've been looking at Polestar as well. I want to replace my virginia creeper on the south side of my house. Do let us know this summer if it blooms for you and how much it grows.
Whenever I purchase roses in bags early in the year, I plant them up into pots right away and fertilize with starter mixes. That way their roots start to develop.
Shelley

o
RE: Roses and More Roses!

Annie- regarding the pruning. (I missed it the before) I never used to prune my roses, but then I started one year and found that they bloom much better. I take off the tops and remove all small branches. The smaller branches don't flower the best. Your roses will also have more air flowing through them and won't be as prone to diseases. The last 2 years I've had trouble with blackspot on a few of my roses. It is an ugly thing to have. It has weakend 2 of my Morden Blush. They are not showing their usual vigor this spring.
What kinds of roses do you grow?
Shelley

o

I had these roses that I bought awhile back, anyway they were starting to wilt, they needed to be planted outdoors, so I did it today.

1st question:
Will they be ok and should I do anything special, I have never planted this early before but it was do or die, and should I cover them?

Now where I planted one of the roses, was in the same spot as another rose, which I thought died, turns out for whatever reason it is still alive just not out of the ground??

2nd question:
Why hasn't that rose peeked thru the ground yet, when all the rest are well above ground.

3rd question:
Now I have to move that slow poke rose and I would like to know the best way of uprooting and replanting this tardy hardy.

Thankyou so much
Annie

o

Annie, these roses that you just planted, did you prune back the new shoots? I would recommend it. Also on bagged rose bushes I fertilize with a root promoting fertilizer. (The middle number is quite high such as 10-52-10) I also add bonemeal when planting. If you didn't put it in the bottom of the hole, you could put it on top and scratch it in the dirt. I then mound the bush with peat moss for a few days then I slowly start to remove it a litle at a time. This helps, so the canes don't dry out while the plant is trying to establish roots. I also add lots of peat moss to the soil when I fill in the holes. The pokey rose that you want to replant, treat it like your new ones. I much prefer greenhouse roses than bagged or boxed roses. I have a boxed rose that is struggling also. I put it in a pot and it seemed to be doing fine then POOF, the leaves started to dry up. I won't put it in the ground until it starts looking better.
The pokey rose might be slow because of variety. It also might be struggling a bit. But if it is coming, it should be alright. Is it on it's own roots or budgrafted? If it is b/g then the top might have died. I thought that I had lost one of my Royal Edwards, but it's coming from the bottom. I had to dig around to find the buds. The other one is growing great.
Hope that this helped.
Shelley

o

My Cedar Hollow Rose Farm order came in yesterday, whoohooo, all nice, healthy and safe!

Shelley, thats good to know, my Royal Edwards is really being slow, I keep poking around to see if there is any shoots coming thru, but nothing yet...I'll be more patient.

Sharon

o

Annie, if all you cut off of your roses was dead stuff, don't worry about it. You just gave the new growth more room to grow straight and tall. If the old branches are completely dead, I'd cut them right to the ground. I have had roses freeze right off. One year I lost everything but my John Davis, but by fall they were full size again. Funny weather like a lovely warm February followed by a brutally cold March will kill the canes. If your roses are in a nice cosy spot, this year might have done it! For your new roses, I agree that cutting them back would be a good idea, and the new growth will be very tender. I put my 5 boxed roses in one gallon pots when I got them, then moved them out to my little greenhouse later. Even inside the greenhouse, and covered for temps below zero, two of them had all their new stems frozen off and the others lost leaves. They're all coming back nice and sturdy, though. Good luck!
Connie

o

I recieved my order from Cedar Hollow Rose Farms today. I ordered 16 and they only sent 15. One was not what I ordered. Their was no notes on substitutions or missing roses, so I sent them an e-mail. Some of the roses are huge. They looked like they had been sent quite healthy, but they got quite mangled in shipping. I recieved a dented in box and had 2 broken pots. One rose was nearly barerooted. (What a good postal sevice we have.) My substitution rose was Serendipity. Was I EXCITED. Then I looked at it again and seen that it was broke off at almost dirt level. I'm hoping that it will shoot up from the bottom. I will have to baby this one to see what happens. The rest I'm sure will bounce back quickly once I have them in the ground. The roses in 1 gallon pots seemed to be better off than the smaller pots. They were heavier and didn't bounce around as much.
On a kinder note. I would order from this place again. I find their prices quite good, the service has been prompt, and the roses are a good looking quality.(If I minus the damage the postal service did) They also have variety that I cannot find locally.
......I just checked my e-mail and they are sending me out my missing rose and a replacement for the broken rose. They had sent back an e-mail a few hours after I sent them my concerns. What good sevice!!!!!
Shelley

o

My order just arrived from Cedar Hollow also. I'm not upset by any means, but I am slightly... underwhelmed. None of them are huge, and some of them are tiny. I think I was spoiled by Old Rose Nursery last year, it was all gallon pots and very mature roses. Cedar Hollow really packed them into a small box and they're a little squished but not mutilated. ORN last year shipped them in a giant box, all standing up and separated by wads of newspaper. Their shipping also cost an awful lot as I remember.

Also I got 3 Mme. Plantiers (ordered 2) and no John Davises (ordered 1). But I'm actually kind of happy about that, Mme. P. was the one I had been trying to get and I can find John Davis locally. She's blooming here in my office and smells wonderful. The Celestial is the only one that is a gallon and it is a good size.

I will suspend judgement until I see how they all do in the garden this summer.

o

Glad to hear that you got your rose order all straighten out Shelley, I wonder if it would of been cheaper if they sent your order by bus? 16 roses is alot of roses going thru mail! I hear yah about the mail service, when I went to pick up my box at our local post office, I was flabbergasted when the girl came out to the counter with the box on its side. Do they not know that the printed address label is right side up??? Duh! I never said anything but flop it on its proper side right on the desk to show her how its done properly!

Now do you get to keep the broken rose, if so, I'm sure it will sprout thru since of course its own-root ;)

Gil, hmmm, I'm sure you'll be very pleased once they are planted and given a chance to grow. Out of my roses, 5 were in gallon size pots, the others were in 4.5 square pots. I guess depending on the variety of the rose and how fast it takes to root is why some are in the smaller pots.

Old Rose Nursery is fine, but you won't find "unusual" hardy roses there ;)

Sharon

o

Mmmmm...roses...I was in at walmart the other day and they had a Morden Sunrise in a gallon pot...wanted to pick it up soooo badly after seeing the pretty pictures...but...I guess I should wait until my fence is in, so I can decide where I want to plant it...I'm definetly going to have to plant some more roses in the next few years. Right now I'm just happy that eveything I planted last year seems to have made it through happily (including my first rose to survive...)

I haven't gotten into buying online or through the flyers. I'm wondering what the advantage is...do you find them cheaper (after all the shipping costs), better selection, etc, than getting them at a local greenhouse? (Or is the enjoyment of buying plants in the winter months...and getting to pick up that big parcel of goodies?? ;-)

Verena

o

Verena, for me, the biggest advantage to on-line or catalogue shopping is getting the variety of plants that the local nurseries just don't carry.
Since we're talking roses here, for example, lately I've been interested in trying out some roses that were hybridized by Griffith Buck, but you'd have to look high and low to find any of his roses in a nursery. So that's the main reason why I buy on-line, other than that, it's just so darn fun buying plants in the dead of winter too ;o)

Laurie

o

Sharon, I do get to keep the broken rose. I am hoping that it will shoot back. I am sure that all expediated parcels are insured when they send. As far as shipping, I paid $20 for all the roses. I didn't find that too bad. Maybe the bus would have handled them a bit better though.
Verena, I much prefer to buy roses locally, but I wanted different varieties than I could find here. Mail order roses are a bit cheaper, but you usually end up with smaller plants. This doesn't mean anything though come July. Last year I planted roses that were about 8" tall and by late
summer they were as big as the ones that came in 2 gallon pots.
I too am very interested in the Buck roses. Carefree Beauty was sent to me blooming. She is very smelly. I can't wait for them all to start blooming.
Shelley

o

One of the new roses that I ordered this year called Moje Hammarberg has one bloom on it so far, have you ever smelled this rose before, incredible!

Verena, after losing so many roses in the past that were supposed to be hardy, I only buy own-root from now on, you really need to check the labels on the pots when buying them at Walmart or other box stores, usually they are grafted on a root stock which is not really hardy after all IME.

I order from Cornhill or Cedar Hollow mainly because of the variety. I'm trying my first Buck rose this year to see how it winters, thanks to Laurie for recommending them ;)

Sharon

o

Well, I got all my new roses home last night and let them shake their kinks out, and I must revise my previous impression. I guess I was sort of alarmed because they were packed tightly and somewhat bent and bruised but not broken. They have perked up a lot now. Sunsprite and Mr. Lincoln are rather small but when I took them out of their pots they have a good root system. I will be growing these at least for a while in large pots. Celestial is actually quite large. So I am happy now. Spent a little time last night planting my Albas and smelling them and whispering to them (the neighbours were out, I had to whisper LOL) and they assured me that they will grow really fast. ;0)

o

Thanks, for the insight...
Sharon, perhaps that is why my past attempts at roses have failed?? (Maybe I'm not entirely to blame after all ;-) Or perhaps it is because I didn't whisper to them...LOL! (and I am to blame ;-)

Verena
(Gotta run...time to put the bread in the oven.)

o

You just wait Gil, by September your roses will be monsters, considering if we get plenty rain and warm sunshine ;)

I can just see you bending down whispering to them, LOL!

Glad to hear you feel better about them now!

Sharon

o

Hmmm. Rose Whispering. Bet there's something to it. I got my Cedar Hollow order the other day and was a bit worried too when I took them out of the box but being sick and needing to get my bare root stuff from Saskatoon Farm in first, I put them in a sheltered spot and watered them and let them spread out a bit and they look like they're fine. I got mostly Explorers in pinks and reds and a couple of Rugosa's. 3 of the Topaz Jewel to set the others off. Now it's just deciding where to settle everyone. I'm so going to enjoy sitting on my deck looking at these spots of color. Like we gardeners sit long enough. Usually you see something that could be done and before you know it sitting time is over.
Kate

o

Today I recieved my rose order from ValleyK Greenhouses. They pack their roses so much better than Cedar Hollow. Each rose was wrapped in cardboard and they sent 10 roses in 3 boxes so they were easier to handle. They are bigger than the ones that I recieved from them last year with the exception of 2 Marie Bugnet which are quite small. I had a broken rose in this shipment too, but it only broke off half way. There is still leaves left on this rose.That is the only damage from shipping that I can see on this bunch. They look much nicer than my Cedar Hollow roses which are stripped of so many leaves. But one the plus side, most of the roses from Cedar Hollow are srouting out new leaves.
I also recived my plants from Dominion House today. I had ordered a bareroot Kaleidoscope. The stem is huge!!! It is starting to send out leaves as well. I ordered some lilacs, clematis, lilies and perennials from them as well. The lilacs and clematis are fine, the lilies are a bit shrivelled, and the perennials are sick. I'm sure some are dead. Honestly, I don't know if I would order perennials from them again. Roses, I would though. I think that they were in the boxes for quite a while, there is lots of white growth.
I moved a 5 yr old JP Connell the other day in the rain. It should have been moved sooner because it had flower buds on already. It is really sulking. Oh well, If it doesn't make it, they are easy enough to find to replace.
I have quite a few of my older roses with flower buds on. It won't be long before the roses start to bloom!!!!
Shelley

o

Shelley, I noticed yesterday that there were flower buds on 8 of my roses already(the largest buds are on 'Love' which technically shouldn't have even survived the winter, no less be blooming BEFORE the hardy roses!). Since I've only been keeping track of when things start to bloom for the past 4 or 5 years, this could be a record breaking year for things flowering so early. I think June 14 was my earliest rose in past years. Some years I didn't get any roses until July. This has been an amazing spring, so far......

o

My Champlain is about to bloom too - really impressed with the quick growth & budding on him. He got a new Explorer friend the other day, John Davis I picked up own-root at Walmart (see, I knew I could find it locally!). Oooh actually one is English and the other French... I hope they don't fight!

My unknown red Floribunda also has buds - usually it's just waking up this time of year.

o

This is a really interesting post to an observer like me. I found this thru a link posted on the Roses forum. So I just read thru most of the whole thing.

o

Hi New York Rita, glad to here your enjoying the FN forum!

o

Yes hi Rita, I recognize you from the Roses forum. Welcome.

My Harison's Yellow is an absolute shambles this year - half of it is on the ground and the other half is completely overgrown and none of it has a good dense bloom. So it's getting the hedge trimmers as soon as it's done blooming. The best year it ever had was right after being pruned hard. Anyway, here's a small section of it that was nice...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

I can't believe that my roses planted last year and before haven't even started to bloom yet. I know that it is not enough sun. Frontenac will open any day now.
But I have enjoyed a few on my newly purchased ones. Abraham Darby has 2 flowers on now. Wow, am I ever glad I purchased this one. I think that i must try more English roses.
Shelley

o

My new roses this year include:

2 carefree wonders
1 Morden sunrise
1 Morden Cenennial
1 Morden Blush
1 Bonica
2 tenders Sexy Rexy and Sunsprite

o
RE: Carefree Beauty Roses in Calgary

I planted two Carefree Beauty roses this year. Now I'm wondering if they would survive in Calgary weather. I planted two Bonicas last year, one of them came back this year, other one didn't. That's why I'm a little apprehensive about these two Beauty-s.

If anyone can let me know, I'd really appreciate it.
Swati.

o

MIL has CB, does fine for her in a very exposed position. She's in NW Calgary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here