Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robins_cottagegarden

Changing ground cover along dug-out basement

I have a narrow strip of lawn the depth of my small house along the neighbour's fence. It is barely wide enough for a small push-mower (you can see where previous owners damaged the siding with the mower). The lawn there seems healthy and happy but I don't want to mow. I'd like to replace the lawn "ground cover" with a perennial that does not need mowing and that will not cause problems with the dug-out basement.

I think the strip must be mostly shade though the recent melt pattern suggests some kind of micro-climate. Between the roof overhang (small, really), the proximity to the house and the dryer vent, and the fence opposite, it seems "warm". It is the only area free of snow now, but I doubt it gets much sun (would be north facing but the fence is high).

There are lots of different ground covers (of course) and tall plants would be fine, as would anything thorny as this is not a place people (or critters) should be encouraged to walk) but I don't know what I need to consider in terms of disturbing the dug-out.

Can someone point me in the right direction for info?

Thanks!

Comments (2)