Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colocasia Gigantea Bulbs

Posted by yardhappygary 3B (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 22:56

I know it's early, but what else is a gardener to do on January 3rd in Edmonton.
Does anyone on this forum have any Colocasia Gigantea (or similar large type) bulbs available for sale in or near Edmonton, AB? Or do you know where one would be able to buy them here in late February or early March?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colocasia Gigantea Bulbs

"what else is a gardener to do on January 3rd in Edmonton" ... flipping through spring catalogues and being online ordering up plants helps me along on these short winter days :)

Colocasia Gigantea, I had previously seen the bulbs / tubers available at Hole's, they sometimes have had them growing outside in large containers. I've never tried them myself.

Terry

o

Thanks Terry... I'll check with Hole's to find out if they sell the actual tubers. I know some of the greenhouses sell the potted plant in May but they are quite expensive that way.

It's not just the price though... I like to pot up my own bulbs and tubers and that way I can push the starting times a bit and get larger plants by the end of the season.

Last year most of my Dahlias were blooming by early July and a couple of them grew to 7' & 8' tall... just loaded with blossoms.

o

I am much like you yardhappyguy. My bulbs are all started in the greenhouse in late January for full sized plant growth in the spring.
Holes does (did) have the colocasia gigantea bulbs and they were a top size when I had ordered them a few years back. I did notice them in their catalogue last year, so I would think it is a regular that they carry every year

o

Did anyone have any luck at Holes?

o

The selection varies from year to year, but Costco brings in their bulbs around the beginning of March and some years there are Colocasia bulbs in their shipments. They come in with the dahlia and glad bulbs if you are a Costco shopper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here