Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry

Posted by Robin282 z7 SE MA Coast (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 23:17

Hello,
I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum faux pas in ettiquette by being an "outside poster". I have been a garden web member for 2 months, and I find the people here very helpful, with lots of iteresting ideas and information. I am from New England--Massachusetts. We plat to move to Maine upon retirement; so, we'll at least be closer to all of you then! My husband has many cousins in Canada.

I am looking to buy Bakeapple (also known as Cloudberry). I like growing all kinds of berries, and I have been trying to add berries from more Northern climes, and from other countries. Last year, I got Honeberries (from Siberia). We homeschool our 2 children, and I open our exploration of other countries through the plants.

I have found only 3 places on-line through searching: 2 in Canada, 1 in USA. One in Canada has added me to their waiting list. The other only mails 2 of their plants (peonies & wysteria), the other plants--one must visit to purchase and pick up. The one in the USA, no luck.

If anyone can tell me where I could order them--or anthig more about them, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry

Hi Robin
I am very familiar with cloudberries as we buy it as a sauce from Ikea to put on icecream (A Swedish tradition).

I googled cloudberries and found an article about them. They are native to most low boggy areas of northern Europe and North America. I have even found them near my home here in western Canada. A suggestion I have is to collect some seed and try to grow them if you cannot find any live plants. I included a link to the site where I found the article.

Cheers Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Cloudberries

o

Saw your request in several forums. You might as well apply for an import permit. It can be useful for ordering many different plants. The this website is a Canadian site but offers wonderfully plants and trips also. You can request to be placed on her growing list. Apparently you are not the only one who wants cloudberries. http://www.hillkeep.ca/ts Q-R.htm
Rice Creek Gardens near Minneapolis has them also but have never purchased from them.

Another person had a google on cloudberries which is where I found the link. I know in one of the catalogs I received recently I saw them if I can remember will post again.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 12:09

If you post again (or email me) in June I'll get some for you.

o

Hello,
I used to be Robin282 on GW, but since iVillage made changes, I cannot log into that ID anymore.

In any case, I wanted to update folks on my progress. This was the most difficult plant to track down. I was able to get some seeds from Norway, and from a US germplasm bank that got its seed from Russia.

Upon receipt of the Norway seed, I have tried to look up cultivation instructions to no avail. Finally, the germplasm bank seeds arrived with instructions. Wow, is this going to be a challenge! After a bleach treatment (very hard coat), and warm stratify, then cold stratify, then light germination--using proper techniques and as sterile a batch of materials as possible, allow 60 days for germination after the 3 months of the warm, and 3 months of the cold.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but wish me luck!

BY THE WAY, I'd still tke plants of I could get them...

Robin

o

You may well have seen this already, but some idle searching came up with the following,which seems to have useful information.
Best of luck!Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: cloudberry answers

o
re: desperately seeking bakeapple/cloudberry update

I am still looking for seeds & plants just as desperately.

Last spring, I got a sandwich bag full of cloudberry seeds from a generous man in Alaska. I left them in the fridge until August. I then took them out, treated some with bleach, treated some with geribellic #&*% acid (I can never spell that), and sanded them, & planted them then, at the end of the summer. I figured the cold (only) stratification didn't work, so I tried a warm, then cold strat. A few days ago, I noticed sprouts, but I wasn't sure if they were cloudberry. Then, a second leaf came out, and it looks like cloudberry! I am just thrilled that I accomplished something that so many have said could not be done! Out of a whole asndwich bag FULL of seeds, only a few dozen have sprouted. I am happy with that. Then I read if you can sprout them, they won't make it. I am going to try to do my best to see that they do.

Meanwhile, I would still like to get more seed to continue experimenting with sprouting the things, and I really hope to get plants because I read that from seed, it takes 7 years to get fruit! Yikes!

If anyone can provide either seed or plants, PLMK. I still want them. I'll pay postage. I am also trying to get seed or plants from a variety of places so that I can have good genetic diversity.
Thanks,
Robin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here