Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Lonicera brownii Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

Some old threads tell me that a few of you have this vine.

How fast does it grow? Does it look nice when established, or does it grow in a big tangled mess? Will it damage a wooden fence?

One website says it's trouble free, and another says it's an aphid magnet.

Any comments, good or bad, would be welcome, as usual.

Comments (9)

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

Naf, mine has been beset by aphids every year for some time now. It was, however, very attractive for years before that started to happen. Last year wasn't too bad, so I'm hoping that maybe it was one of those cycle things. Mine is planted right up against a wall where it only gets morning sun, so maybe it is stressed by its growing conditions.
    As far as growth, I would say the vine is very manageable. The vines need something to twine around for support. You will need a trellis or something to hold them up.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

It's a pretty tough vine. My DH bought me one and I didn't want it, well not that I didn't want it but I had nowhere to put a vine, so I left it sitting in its pot for 4 months against the house wall, unwatered. It still looked fine in the fall so I popped it out of the pot and planted it there with a trellis. The area is a mess of invasive lily of the valley, tiger lilies and irises. The next spring it started growing and thriving, and I had never watered it or improved the soil or anything. I'm hoping it keeps it up this third summer and I'll get a bigger trellis, it would be nice on the front of the house.

No pest problems here, not that I really inspect it at all.

I don't think it would harm a fence, as mentioned it needs support to climb so it doesn't have any aerial roots that would wreck stuff.

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

Mine have never had aphids, but my sister said hers got aphids every year. Mine grows on a chain link fence, and is now wound up with radar love clematis (pic on the bubble thread). I have another that I cut right to the ground last year and it's bouncing back nicely. Hummingbirds go nuts for the blossoms.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have a tremendous amount of sun, so I guess I'll plant one and see what happens. I'll need to learn that if I don't like something, I can just get rid of it.

How many years would it be before it's about 4-5 feet tall and blooming? Information says it's a fast grower, but since we're all in a cold zone, how long would "fast" be?

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

They can bloom the first year. They can bloom right to hard frost.

Once they are established they can grow very quickly. Second year should give you 4-5 feet tall. The one I had at the old house tripled in size in just two seasons. I have seen some very established vines and they get THICK.

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Just reviving this thread as I am trying to find out how everyone's Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle is doing?

Shazam, do you get aphids on yours here in Calgary?

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

I planted one out at my brother`s ranch about 5 years ago by the corner of his deck. It has never had aphids, takes the brunt of the west wind and manages to survive. It is covered in blossoms pretty consistently from spring till frost. The hummingbirds love it!

• ostrich
    9 years ago

Shillanorth, thank you! Is your brother also in your area (zone 4a) please?

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    9 years ago

Yes, he is just west of me in the Pincher Creek area. They are always about 3 weeks behind me garden wise even though it`s only about a 25 minute drive out there.