Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow Owl 2

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 8:50

Well, he's becoming a regular feature. First he sat on top of the pine tree on the south side of the house, farther away but this time he flew to the north side and sat on top of another pine, this was a lot closer to the house. Problem was he wouldn't turn around so I could get a good pic. Too bad the sun hadn't been out. Here's what I got anyway.
 photo IMG_1922_zpsa7381ab0.jpg

photo IMG_1943_zps0a88f803.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow Owl 2

Lucky you to see it! We had a shrike here the other day, and we're going to slow down on the feed for awhile until he goes somewhere else.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 10:13

I'm not familiar with the shrike, will have to look it up. I gather they are very aggressive birds? marg

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 10:18

I just looked up the northern shrike. Very pretty but considered a predatory bird. Despite how pretty they are, I'm glad we haven't got them here.

o

Marg, what a beautiful bird.

Wouldn't that be awesome if he had a family in the spring?

Lynn

o

Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 13:15

One thing I've noticed is that since he's been around, no more starlings. Songbirds, doves and bluejays are still here tho.

o

He/she is absolutely gorgeous! I am jealous! :) Thanks for sharing Marg! :)

Ginny

o

Great shots!

o

Great pics of the owl!

I've never managed to get pics of any owls around here altho did see a Great Horned Owl in a tree quite close to my house and heard one last night when I took the dogs out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here