Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bdgardener

Bulbs are out

bdgardener
13 years ago

bulbs are out at Costco, here in southern AB. Lilies, Dahlia, and glads and others. I have an obsession with lilies. Picked up two bags of asiatic and one OT hybrid. Yes I'm crazy, but told the hubby not to buy me flowers for Valentines day or my birthday, I was waiting for the bulbs at costco. Great price as usual, $13.69/bag of 18.

Asiatic were Midnight mystery, white pixels, tiny ghost, tiny bee. The OT were rosselini and cherbourgh.

Just in case anyone else cant wait for spring. Cheryl

Comments (14)

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I saw bulbs at Sam's Club yesterday and came ever so close to buying them. We were having a very cold day so I passed on them. I might have to go back and buy them on Saturday (we might get up to 50 F!) Oh, they were day lilies and & Asiatic lilies. I do love lilies and daffodils! They were $14/20 day lilies and $14 for 10 Asiatic lilies.

• trisha_51
    13 years ago

:( Didn't see any this week :( Maybe soon? I want to get some asiatic lilies, too!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Costco is always quite a bit earlier than Walmart and Canadian Tire, so i won't be seeing anything for awhile. I keep saying i don't need anything else anyway..... Uh huh.

• bdgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I always say I don't need anything either but I get such back spring itch when it is -30. C

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Broke down and bought some Asiatic lily bulbs yesterday (Sam's Club). It looks like the majority have broken domancy though. So I will be potting them up sometime this week.

• petunia2
    13 years ago

To Cheryl--like you, I couldn't resist the bulbs at Costco, and bought a bag of Stargazers--now I realize I've never bought these before...so what do I do next? Am inclined to plant them in individual containers, water them, and put them under lights--but is that the recommended course of action?

Looking at the still huge snow piles outside, I think I got carried away with dreams of spring!

• bdgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have done that. The ones I got from Costco did not appear to have broken dormancy yet so I have them in the fridge in the garage. I will check on them every week and see if they do break dormancy. If they do and it still appears there is no way to get them in the ground with out freezing them I will plant them in flats. It is ok to have them sprout as long as the shoots don't start getting all curly. (it has happened to me and it makes it very hard to plant them out) If this happens they won't do great this year but by next year they will be fine. I have had great potted lilies in the house many times, it makes the neighbour jealous. Hope this helps and makes sense. C

• petunia2
    13 years ago

Thank you -- it sounds like a good idea to hold mine off for a bit yet as you are doing. I've also realized that 18 plants is a lot of space under lights (what WAS I thinking...?!) Impulse purchases...that's what happens to gardeners who are crazed (speaking for myself, anyway!) after a winter like we've had!

I'm thinking the lilies will need a head start here (Edmonton), rather than going directly into the ground as bulbs, so I will plan on starting them indoors at some point. Wish me luck!

• mikomum
    13 years ago

I bought 3 bags this weekend (I can't remember the lilies, a creamy orange mix and a hot pink mix--and I don't feel like going into my cold storage room right now) I also got the liatris. I planted the costco liatis bulbs before and got about 3 good years out of them. The lilies that I planted from costco in previous years have always done well although the first year is always unremarkable as I plant them directly in the ground in my 'training bed'. I like to buy them early in the season so I can keep them dormant until needed. I find if you wait, the ones in the store tend to sprout.

• savona
    13 years ago

I made my first purchase yesterday. I bought a Coral Charm peony from Home Depot. It is from the Martha Stewart collection and was reasonably priced at $9.99. I bought a bag of mixed asiatic lily bulbs for my daughter in law that I will pot up in the green house sometime in April. We are looking at another week of colder weather, back in the bubble I go...Jean

13 years ago

That's a good price for Coral Charm, Jean. I'll have to keep an eye out for it, though we don't have a Home Depot here.

See you in the Bubble - that's where i'm hanging out for awhile!

13 years ago

That's a good price for Coral Charm, Jean. I'll have to keep an eye out for it, though we don't have a Home Depot here.

See you in the Bubble - that's where i'm hanging out for awhile!

• bdgardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I did it again, I was at Walmart with my mother in law and bought two bags of mixed pink and white asiatic lilies, unnamed, these will go in at my nana's house as her beds have been neglected for the past couple of years and could use some sprucing up. 12 bulbs for 9.98. Also had the impulse buy of 50 glads for the same price.

The hubby is now complaining that there is no room left in the shop fridge for his beer.

I did notice that I have a small sprout on one of the lilies that I got from costco a couple of weeks ago, so those might need to be potted up soon.

Crazy, Crazy, me

13 years ago

The bulbs are finally in at our Walmart, so yesterday i bought some red and white dahlias. There was really nothing too exciting there - always seems to be the same old, same old, and nothing that i want. Canadian Tire has different things, but the only thing that struck me was a red astilbe that i'll probably get next time i'm in there. They also had quite a few roses, most of them leafing out already.