Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fayremead

Trees near their hardiness limit, as seen by Google Street View

fayremead
14 years ago

Google Street View is now in most Canadian communities, and this provides an opportunity to find species which are cultivated near or beyond their supposed limits. Let's start with a fine example of Freeman Maple in Amos, Quebec.

-Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeman Maple, Amos QC

Comments (11)

• fayremead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A specimen of Aesculus hippocastanum (with the Atco Building right behind) in Edmonton, Alberta.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holowach Horse Chestnut

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

This is a little history, old publication copied and pasted.

Sam Holowach planted this horse chestnut in his yard circa 1920. It thrived despite preferring a temperate climate. In 1998, it was saved with the generous support of City of Edmonton, HSBC Bank Canada, Walter Holowach

I collected nuts from this tree over several years and
    had over 100 plants growing, but none ever grew larger then
    a foot or so in the Beaumont area, last year I tilled most if them under.

Konrad

• don555
    14 years ago

Interesting. Did they not grow more than a foot in Beaumont because of hardiness issues, or because of impatience on your part? I know there was some fund-raising thing a few years ago (haha, probably 10 years ago, time flies) where seedlings from this tree were sold by some local nursery to raise funds to protect the original tree (I think), as it had been largely surrounded by pavement. I recall a 4- or 5 foot-tall specimen in the south part of Millwoods that I saw on walks a few years back (haha, again, prob. at 5 yrs or more ago) that was probably from that fund-raiser. I remember where the tree was at least, so I should check it out this summer to see if it is alive/dead/surviving.

Here's a pic of the Holowach horse chestnut, taken in 1994. It had a yard to grow in back then...

• don555
    14 years ago

Here's a closer view...
    {{gwi:731810}}

• Konrad___far_north
    14 years ago

They would die back every year, then barely recovering, about 1/3 died.
    After about 7 years they seen the tiller.
    Someone told me they need to be grafted, but don't know
    anymore to what?
    Perhaps Ohio Buckeye, I should try, these are hardier, zone 2.

Konrad

• oiltown
    14 years ago

I would think that Beaumont probably falls a half zone if not a full zone colder than Edmonton. If it has temperatures at all similar to the international airport, than the lows are consistently 10-12 degrees colder. Example, -46C airport and -35 in the city this year. At my house, -34c and that's the coldest I've seen it since I've had a thermometer, making my house a consistent zone 4a and the city fringes between 3b and 4a in my opinion with the exception of the outer edge by the anthony henday.

I have a photo gallery of pictures i've taken and I've probably come across 15 horsechestnuts in the city maturing fine with no problems. I will take even more pictures this summer but this link shows 2 of the 4 on one person's front yard!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23840945@N05/3414748413/

The next link is for one of the two on the city of edmonton boulevard by the u of a.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23840945@N05/3415554818/

I believe they're fully hardy in the city.

• fayremead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The climate stats for Thompson, Manitoba would lead one to expect little other than the native trees around town, but elm also grows there -- see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibly the northernmost elm in Manitoba

• don555
    14 years ago

Oiltown, those are some healthy horse chestnuts in your photos. Are they located well-within the city for protection from winter wind and cold? I am near the suburbs near the edge of the city and I can see from your pics that my climate is tougher than in some of your pics -- for example, you have a small but healthy honey locust in one of your pics, but at my place I grew several for a few years they really only survived beneath snow level, everything above that would winterkill.

You've got some nice photos there. I have to ask about the big "red maple" with the bright fall colours... isn't that the one at 86 ave and 110 St.? I'm pretty sure that's a sugar maple, the biggest one I know of in the city.

• fayremead
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don is right about the species -- Edmonton has a mature Sugar Maple at 110 St just north of 85 Ave. When I saw it in 1994 the top had some dieback but the lower branches showed impressive vigor.

-Tony

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I know this thread is old but I was interested to find out there's a horse chestnut in my town several miles north of Winnipeg, MB. My Dad knows its owner and is going to find out if it's still there. Apparently he knew of it about 25 years ago so it's either good and mature, or gone. It's behind his house well off the road so Google street view won't help.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

I'll update my experience with the seedlings grown from the horse chestnut tree in downtown Edmonton. First the results were somewhat favorable, though that's now turned into failure. They had been grown on for several years and set out as 3 ft specimens, most had not made their first winter and died right back to the ground. About one in five survived with only the top buds dying and the plant then being able to recover and do pretty good in that season, though these have also all now perished. I did have one that was seemingly superior in hardiness and having much more attractive foliage than the parent tree. It was about 4 ft tall and went through two winters without any tipkill whatsoever, though last winter it was struck right back down to the ground, maybe the nasty October had done it in? I'll give it time to see if it recovers.

Even the established horse chestnut at Wellington Garden Center (north Edmonton) had a fair amount of dieback after last winter.

Terry

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus