Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daturas

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 11:45

My daturas are developing large tears/holes in the larger leaves. I know there is an aphid problem but that's nearly under control. Besides, I don't think aphids are causing this. The tears only appear on the larger leaves, the smaller ones are just fine. Any idea what might be causing this? Marg
 photo IMG_1635_zps95b18c78.jpg

photo IMG_1633_zpsda7d2ac4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daturas

Aphids are sucking insects. Something is munching!!!! :­¬(

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 18:47

I have not seen any pest except for the aphids. Maybe its something that comes out at night? Maybe I'll have to do night patrols, LOL.

o

Do you have a cat ?

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 8:36

No cat, just Rosie. I did post this on the houseplants forum and they thought it might be slugs or snails. I know I'm not the most particular housekeeper but my house isn't that dirty!
Rosie, the supervisor photo DSC00796.jpg

o

What a friendly looking dog.

Our cat chewed holes like that in one of my plants, but, I guess that's not what happened to yours.

What I'd do is take it out of it's pot and slowly remove the soil to see if you can find somebody living in there :(

o

Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 9:58

I was contemplating that as a last resort. No, I'm not that lazy but I do have 40 daturas. I did water with insecticidal soap as well as pretreating the soil before I planted.

o

That looks a bit like earwig damage. Evil things.

o

Daturas are very poisonous so if cats did that, they will certainly start showing symptoms.

I see some 'buckling' or lumps on those leaves and I'm thinking this is fungus causing injury to that part of the leaf... Maybe that's the problem.

o

Do you have a slug hiding in the pot? Usually slug or snail holes are oval or roundish and they leave the slime trail behind. Definitely not aphid damage...at least not the actual holes. They almost look like some sort of caterpillar or grasshopper damage.

Do you think datura stinks? I found them unpleasant, plus they re-seed like crazy. I found out that If you accidentally rub your eye after pruning them, your pupils dilate as if the eye-doctor just put drops in your eyes. It's weird.

o

Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 18:37

I have never seen any pests except for the aphids. I did treat them with a fungicide that I had handy. Will see if that helps. I found that the double purple had an unpleasant odor but the yellow one was nice. Mine were in pots so I can't tell if they reseed outside here. Daturas are in the nightshade family, all parts of the plant are poisonous. Marg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here