Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_mclean_petite_garden

Bird brains

The weather has been rather cold here as of late and my little feather dusters sure consume more food in these temps. I have a smorgasbord selection for my winter friends and they look forward to mornings when they wait for me to fill feeders and trays. Well, I am one person who enjoys the antics of my black and white friends, much to my neighbours dismay, and I feed them a homemade mixture of cat food, and grains everyday. Years ago my DH nailed supports onto the fence posts so I could feed in flat terra cotta trays and it has worked well for the most part. Unfortunately, I have the odd stray cat taking up residence in my garage some years and they like to finish what the birds don't eat, in the middle of the night........often resulting in knocking the dish off the post and breaking it. So.....this bird brain came up with an idea......I made a foam box and nailed it to the post so I can set the dish in and avoid spills........I have run out of terra cotta, unpainted, dishes so have resorted to a pink painted one from last summer. Magpies are known as one of the most intelligent birds and are actually very friendly; something I admire them for. And these bird brains, on the coldest morning of the year, are scared of the pink tray!!!! Nuff said!!

I hope everyone stays warm and dreams of spring. :)

Ginny

Comments (3)