Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual frost depth this year

Posted by Slimy_Okra 2B (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 27, 14 at 12:46

The ground at my place has frozen more than 7 feet deep this year which is 3 feet deeper than normal. It's going to get even worse over the next couple of weeks. Anyone else experiencing this as well?
I have irrigation plastic pipes installed at the 5 foot depth. I partially drained them last fall with compressed air and opened up everything but I suspect I didn't get all the water out.

Since I have a greenhouse, I would need to turn the system on in late March, well before the ground thaws at that depth. The water source is the city and it comes in at about 5 degrees C. What would you suggest I do? Let it run at low pressure to slowly thaw the ice out? That's assuming I actually have ice in the pipes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual frost depth this year

I'm in Central Minnesota and they said yesterday that we are down to 9 ft.. Haven't had that depth for years.

o
RE: Unusual frost depth this year

Looks like you have little snow cover,..not a problem, mine is only a foot under for over 10 years, never had a problem. Most irrigation pipes are less, it will not hurt plastic pipes with little pockets of ice, you can just let water run fully open. The only problem could be when water is shut off and on a cold night your taps could freeze up and burst, ...so you might have to shut off in the house and open valve outside, no need blowing out plastic pipe, ...as long all your metal taps are drained you should be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here