Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
datura from seed

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 14:24

I traded for several varieties of datura/brugmansia. I did read up on starting them (apparently not enough!) and read that they need bottom heat to germinate. I did that but so far only only 4 seeds have germinated. Originally I had planted 8 pots with 3 seeds per pot. Any tips to help with the germination? I'd like to try with a second planting. Thanks. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: datura from seed

There are lots of different kinds of garden daturas and all of them are noted for "erratic germination". So you might have more show up later.

I don't grow them regularly but one year I indoor sowed single purple (2 weeks to germination) and double purple (3+ weeks to germination). The single ones grew so fast/weedy that I threw them out. The double variety was a steadier grower. How long ago did you plant them?

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 19:01

I planted them about a month ago, I'm very impatient LOL. So far the 4 that grew were all dble purple. Marg

o

It could be old seed, or not viable for some other reason... you never know with seed trades but the price is right. I guess I'd just keep watering them and see if more show up.

o

I usually grow the single white Datura and every year they are difficult to germinate. They have a very frustrating as old seed is not viable and take 30 plus days to germinate. Last year I put a wet paper towel in a margarine container, put about 20 seeds in and about 10 germinated. I also took another 30 seeds and put them in vermiculite and set them on a heated seed starter and got another 15 to germinate. Good luck and have patience

o

This is good to know as i'd really like some white datura in my mom's memorial garden this year - 'Angel's Trumpet'. :) I guess i'd better start now!

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 10:09

Marcia, I have some white angel trumpet seeds left. If you want them, let me know. Marg

o

Marg, i got some "Belle Blanche" from the Box of Seeds and am trying the wet paper towel method with them.Thanks for the offer, though! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here