Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sengyan

Care for miniature rose this timre of the year

sengyan
14 years ago

My wife received a miniature rose for her birthday. I am in Edmonton and it is minus 15 outside. How do i care for it till I can plant it outside in June? Advice please.

Sengyan

Comments (7)

• ljpother
    14 years ago

Keep it in a sunny window.

Check regularly for spider mites and wash the plant in soapy water as soon as they are found. I held my hand over the dirt in the pot and immersed and gently agitated the plant in a sink of (mildly) soapy water. Rinse.

Get them out of the house as soon as possible.

Last year I purchased a Valentines Day mixed basket on sale ($2) and recovered eight miniature roses and a couple of tropical plants. I'd never been able to keep minatures alive so before. The preceding procedure kept them alive (washing every two or three weeks). I put them in my greenhouse (passive water heat storage kept the temperature at 0 C or better) in late April. They survived and were planted in my gardens. Most bloomed regularly during the summer. Spider mites and mildew were a regular occurrence and I controlled them by washing with the hose. I mulched them and am waiting for spring to see how many survived. Hardiness and identification information is scarce but I suspect they are zone 4 at best.

Between the spider mites and the winter, I think they have a better chance in the garden.

Good luck

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    14 years ago

I had a couple that actually overwintered one year, but it must have been a mild winter. I bought another this winter and am thinking that i might keep it in a pot and bring it in for the winter.

• prairierose
    14 years ago

I have several that have overwintered for about three years, well mulched with straw. They never do well, but they do come back. If you can keep the spidermites and mildew from getting them indoors this time of year, they sure are pretty over the summer.

Connie

• ljpother
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention checking to see how many roses you have. Gift plantings frequently have multiple plants to get a good show quickly. If you have more than one stem you can carefully separate them and plant them up.

• sengyan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all who replied. Unfortunately none but lipother offered advice I could use. There are 4 plants/sticks in the pot so I need to replant them. Maybe I should have been more specific. I need to know: 1. when and how much to water. 2. when and how often to fertilize. 3. the strength and type of fertilize to use.
    Sengyan

• ljpother
    14 years ago

If the roses survive, you will want to over winter them. :)

To separate the roses, I soaked the root ball well (slurry) and carefully pulled them apart.

I watered them when the surface was dry and didn't fertilize. Like most other plants you don't want drown them or let them dry out completely.

• sengyan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you lipother for the info.

Sengyan

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert