Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Sowing and Lids ?

Posted by nutsaboutflowers 2b/3a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 21, 11 at 14:55

Eek!

I'm ready to winter sow in milk jugs and I'm wondering......

In Zone 3 do I plant with the lids on and poke some air holes, or just leave the lids off?

I've seen people's pictures without lids, but they weren't in a 4 foot high snowbank. If I leave the lids off, when the snow starts to melt, won't the melting snow drown my containers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Sowing and Lids ?

I always cut around the whole jug leaving just the handle attached, and left the lids on. The cut never lines up properly and you will get ventilation through the gap. If your containers have drainage holes in the bottom and they're not left in standing water it won't matter if some snow melts through them.

o

I cut drainage holes in the bottoms, vent slits in the top and leave the lids on. I tape up around the opening, so i don't know how much air gets in there. As things warm up, i take the lids off and the tape as well, and often cut the whole top off.

o

Thanks for the replies =:)

It made sense to leave the lids on, but I didn't want to do it wrong because I didn't take the time to ask.

o

Hello all. Me again.

My WS jugs are sitting out on the sidewalk on the north side of the house now and when I took a peek my soil is looking nicely moist and I have a bit of condensation on the top of the jugs.

What type of weather do I need before I can take the lids off? Will that be before or after germination? ( Assuming I get some)

I realize I'm asking early, but I don't want to ask later and find out I've left the lids on way too long.

Thanks once again =:)

o

They should be fine for now but if you start getting temperatures consistently in the high teens or twenties, take the lids off.

o

Lucky I asked. I would have thought I could do it long before it was that warm.

Thanks Marcia =:)

Lynn

o

Oh, you probably could take them off earlier. The weather is what i usually use as my guideline.

My seedlings have taken a lot of abuse. The containers get too dry and i put them in trays and water them, and then we have a downpour while i'm at work and they get saturated, or the temperature shoots up during the day and i'm afraid i'm going to come home to a dinner of cooked sprouts! Most of them have survived, though. :)

o

I am quite excited about the winter sowing this year, concerned about it working in Alaska with our moderate winter/spring swings. Worked beautifully so far! I have Rockcress, Monarda, Foxglove, Veronica, Nepeta and a bunch of others all sprouted and doing fine. Last night I was able to leave everything completely uncovered but it is still touch and go for that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here