Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudge2b

Gardens North

Pudge 2b
12 years ago

It's been a while since Gardens North has come up in discussion here, and my previous post about some dianthus seed got me thinking about it and so I wandered over. An order was inevitable, lol.

There's a new martagon lily seed that is a darker pink that looks interesting, and I also ordered the white. I also ordered the Korean dwarf goatsbeard. I have two specimens of the regular large goatsbeard and love them. The seeds they produce germinate quite readily, too, so I'm hoping this dwarf Korean variety will also germinate with the same ease (wintersowing). And I ordered Baptisia, again. This time when I plant the seedlings I will mark them so as not to (again) mistake them for weeds and toss my hard work :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens North seeds

Comments (15)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I haven't bought anything for awhile either. I like to window shop but a lot of their stuff seems difficult or very region specific. I can't remember what I ordered in the past but I know one thing was my Geum triflorum and it's doing beautifully. I noticed they introduced Smilax herbacea new this year but sold out. I finally managed to collect seed for that this fall and am attempting to winter sow it. I have one in my yard but it's a little boy vine so no berries.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Gil, were they your Geum triflorum seeds in the Box? I snaffled them - they look like an interesting plant. :)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Oh yeah they were Marcia. Being a native plant they should wintersow fine, but according to my records I started them indoors with warmth and humidity. It's a good plant, the blooms and seedheads are both pretty and the plant is tidy with nice leaves.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Northspruce, I usually stick to the seeds that say easy to germinate and are suitable for my zone. I like to try different perennials just for fun. I also have geum triflorem from Garden's North and I really like it. When I had my mini plant sale the geum created a lot of interest because it was blooming right near where I set up.
    A couple years ago I started a bunch of saxifrage and had them blooming all over the yard last year.
    This spring I'll be anxious to see if the mukedenia survived.
    I haven't ordered anything this year, yet anyway.

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I should have started this thread before I put in my order cause now I want geum triflorem. LOL, oh well, I'll start a wish list for next year.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I'll send you some seeds, I'll have to collect them this summer though.

12 years ago

THey've already been winter-sown - i did a batch a couple of weeks ago. This year i only have 10 containers so far, and i probably won't have any more until i spring sow the annuals.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Did anyone see their new Gentiana algida? Want! Need!

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Gil, that's nice of you. If my sweet little well behaved Dianthus comes true, I'l send you some seeds in return.

That Gentian is very nice, are you going to try it?

I must have ordered the last packet of that dark pink martagon lily seed because now it says sold out. Wow, now I feel pressure to make sure I get them to germinate, lol.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I "may" have "accidentally" bought some seeds today, yes it seems I did. I bought that Gentian, looks nice... also a new Frittilaria (camschatcensis), Penstemon nitidus, Primula bulleyana, Alchemilla mollis (I know nothing special there, I just always meant to get some), Aruncus dioicus (I've tried to grow it before, didn't sprout) and Trollius chinensis (same, tried it before).

Which Dianthus did you get Pudge?

I just remembered I also have two GN mixes of coral bells that are very nice and have done well.

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The dianthus is from my own harvested seed - I just need to see that it comes true to the parent which stays dwarf, neat and tidy and doesn't grow into a 4'x4' mat. The most well behaved dianthus I have ever met.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Aah. You just made me think of something. When I moved I harvested Dianthus 'Arctic Fire' seeds, not knowing if they would come true. They did, the flowers were perfect, but the plants were sort of rampant. 4' mat is an apt description. I actually had to rip it all out because it got involved with some Creeping Charlie. I thought it just really liked me, but now I wonder if it was because I saved seeds?

12 years ago

My Arctic Fire goes nuts like that too, and a lot of it is from clumps i dug up and replanted. So did 'Alba', but i think i might have finally gotten rid of that!

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think that the one I have is a Dianthus subacaulis, just so unlike any others I've grown. I'm guessing, since the original seed came in a mix.

Another plant I started from Gardens North seed a few years ago is a beautiful little campanula, just smothered in blooms in early summer and not at all invasive.

• Pudge 2b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, Dianthus subacaulis is wrong and I remember now. It's Dianthus gratianopolitanus and that seed, also from Gardens North, was not included in a mix. If I bothered looking up old records I'd have found that info, lol.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm