Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
del_s

Siberian Iris Sources for newer varieties?

del_s
15 years ago

I am finding precious few sources for the newer Siberian iris varieties that I see posted on such US sites as ensata.com and Joe Pye Gardens. Anyone growing these in Prairie Canada? If so, how did you get them? Had to order direct from US grower and pay phyto fee? Curious...

Comments (14)

• gladzoe
    15 years ago

I have sprouts from the seed mix bought at Garden's north.

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

Try Chuck Chapman...he hybridizes them as well as having a good selection of newer varieties. I think his website is called chapmaniris. The 2009 list won't be up yet but last years will give you an idea of what he has. Audrey

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Not much Canadian growers have the "newer" ones, I agree!
    Brenda and I were discussing on doing a group order to Ensata but with the CAN $ right now it was too costly. Hopefully we will be par some day with the US ;)

I've ordered Sibs from Parkland Perennials, Chuck Chapman, The Plant Farm and Lindenerg Seeds.

Sometimes by luck your local nursery will have some unusual ones in stock.

Sharon

• kayakcraig
    15 years ago

HI! just to let you know that I have ordered from Joe Pye garden - 2 times now over the last few years. The first time my order got held up at the border & by the time it reached me the plants were dead. I contacted the owners & to my surprise they reshipped a replacement order at no charge even though it was Canadian Customs that held the order up. The 2nd time I ordered - everything came through to my house in record time. I received quality divisions each time & would order from them again, Hope that helps.., Craig (Brandon, Mb)

• del_s
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, kayakcraig. Something to think about if our dollar ever becomes worth more than a US quarter. : )
    They have some great irises.

crazygardener - I have thought about seeing if there were others interested. Not sure how the logistics would work. Might be fun sometime.

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Craig, Hi and welcome to the Far North!!

Which siberian irises did you order from Joe Pye Garden?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Craig, did your orders come by UPS or USPS? Did they wrap the roots in moist tissue and platic wrap?
    Let me know if you want to trade in the future ;)

I noticed that Ensata have a sale right now, hmmmm?

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Craig, there are a few of us who post on the Far North who live in the Brandon area. Could you email me privately as I see that from your settings you can not email me.

ttys,

Brenda

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

Hi Brenda
    I'm just an hour north of Brandon.
    Where are you in relation to Brandon?
    Kathy

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

Hi Craig and Kathy, and welcome to the forum! I'm also in the Brandon area. I live on an acreage just north of Brandon.

Kathy, I grew up in the Rossburn area, are you close to there?

Laurie

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

I'm 9 miles north of Minnedosa.
    Don't know if you have heard of the little town we are close to but its Clanwilliam.
    We have a farm out here and raise cattle and bison as well as grain. Love the cattle for all the free fertilizer I get!
    I have a very large yard that is slowly being taken over by flower beds.
    Kathy

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Welcome Kathy! Yes, of course, I have heard of Clanwilliam. Now, who lives there that I know....hmmmm...

Did you join the Daylily Canada group on Yahoo just recently?

I live just west of Brandon, also on an acreage, just like Laurie.

Craig and Kathy, do either of you attend any garden clubs? Laurie and I are members of the Westman Gardeners, who meet once a month in Brandon. Westman Gardeners club members are from all over the Brandon area, from Carberry and Minnedosa to Kemnay, as well... lots of members live in the city. If you email me privately I can forward you our program for the year and also let you know info about our hort day coming up on April 25. We have some excellent speakers driving in from the Winnipeg area to speak that day.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy, yes I sure know where Clanwilliam is, as my DH is from Bethany originally. Small world, isn't it? Yes, if you don't already belong to a garden club, it's worth joining to get discounts at local nurseries, and we do get in some very knowledgeable people to speak as well.

Laurie

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

I'll send you an email with my info.
    I would like to join the garden club.
    Brenda....yes I did join it. I figure any place with info on the plants I'm growing is going to help.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?