Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oiltown_gw

New Tree Species To Edmonton

oiltown
14 years ago

Hey everyone,

This message is to update those that are unaware of the different types of trees that exist in Edmonton, and to also show the types that can grow here which were originally thought impossible.

I have done my own extensive research and have put together a good portfolio of pictures. I have also kept in contact with the city of Edmonton forestry division to find out what types of new trees they are planting. As a landscaper, I have also tried many new types and I can list the successes I have come across.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23840945@N05/

This is my photostream.

Trees that I have come across numerous times that do well in the city:

Various Norway Maple, Fall Fiesta and Unity Sugar Maple, Autumn Blaze Maple, Red Maple, Horsechestnut, White Ash, Gingko, Cork Tree, Northern Pin Oak and Red Oak.

I have found many of these trees flourishing in our frigid city and I have pictures of some examples but there are many more.

The trees that the city is currently planting include:

Honeylocust, Callery Pear, London Plane Tree, White Ash, Red Oak, Norway Maple, Armstrong Maple, Autumn Blaze Maple, Spring Snow Crabapple and Hackberry.

I would like to hear personal opinions of this and if anyone has trees to include in this, I would love to hear about them.

Comments (6)

• cowgirl2
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link. I certainly would like to see a photo of the Ginko.

• don555
    14 years ago

I think butternut and black walnut could be added to the list. I think they need the right spot... I have a butternut in the suburbs that is about 15 feet tall and has produced nuts for the past 4 or 5 years, but I know it isn't fully hardy because the trunk gets frost splitting in the winter. And although I don't know of any walnuts in the city, there was a nice one at the George Pegg Historic Garden last time I was there.

A couple of photos of other trees:

A sugar maple near the UofA:

A ginko, not in Edmonton but in Drumheller (which I think is half a zone colder (2b). I talked to the owner this summer and he claims this was planted in the 1960s and that he prunes it back heavily each spring to keep it small... personally I think it is younger than he says, but who knows?
    {{gwi:733262}}

• squirelette
    14 years ago

Hi Andres,
    I planted the Moonglow Magnolia in Sept. 2008. I was told it was hardy so I hedged by covering the bottom 3 feet with a thick layer of straw but left the top exposed. It did start to bud out in the spring but the temp swings in the spring did the top in. I did get some nice growth from the bottom of the stem so it did survive. I did not cover it with hay this year as it was thickly crowded by mums and the early snow covered it before it got cold so I am hoping for good luck again. I would say that if you want to keep the top you need to wrap it for the winter and into spring until the temps stabilize. I think I will let it grow into a shortish bush that I will be able to wrap easily. It is supposed to be a nice multi branch tree if you let it go. I am also hoping to get out to Vancouver this year and track down a Sieboldi magnolia the are also quite hardy and will survive out here if it is wrapped. It has nice down facing flowers which works for me as I have a dropped patio. The one I brought from Vancouver years back survived 2 years in a pot sunk in the ground for the winter before the neighbors stole it.

• andres_zone3
    14 years ago

Squirelette, you gave me hope for my Magnolia virginiana. I hope mine survives. I had to look up the Sieboldi magnolia, very nice but seems like a zone 5/6 plant. But if you've had luck with it, I would be tempted to try.

• squirelette
    14 years ago

Hi,
    My gut feeling is that the Sieboldi is tougher than the Moonglow but I also took better care of it because it was in a pot. I am sure that with the snow we had this year at least the bottom of the Moonglow will survive. You will need to be patient to be sure what it is doing before you give up mine looked like a dead stick until July. Although hopefully we will have a better spring this year, had Hostas just sprouting in July last year too.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists