Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

BELAMCANDA chinensis Blackberry Lily

Crazy_Gardener
18 years ago

A dear friend sent me some seeds, anyone successfully grow this plant in their garden? Gardens North rates it as zone 4? I wonder if it will be ok if I mulch it good for the winter?

Sharon

Comments (13)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    18 years ago

Sharon, I was able to successfully grow this one when given a good amount of winter protection ... think I had used straw.

Terry

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, that's great to hear Terry, I went ahead and sowed them ;)

I'm reading that they need good drainage, perhaps in the back of my new rock garden is a good spot for them (that's if they germinate).

Where do you have yours growing?

Sharon

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    18 years ago

Sharon, I formerly had these growing in a somewhat sheltered location. Unfortunately, I had found the bloom period to be really rather short and I gave them up in favor of other plants

• abgardeneer
    18 years ago

I've also grown these - found them somewhat shortlived or tender (without protection). They'd survive for a couple of winters, then disappear.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My little WS'd Belamcanda are sure putting on some fast growth these past few weeks.

Just wondering Ang, how your plants are doing this year?

Anyone else growing this plant in their garden?

Sharon

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

I lost mine, Sharon, from my seedbed over our first winter at this house two years ago. Mine germinated really well in an east facing bed. But, I did see Ang's this spring and they seemed to be doing fine. Did you mulch them, Ang? They are in a south facing bed, right? I want to try some again. They are so nice. Sorry to hear that their bloomtime is so short.

Shauna

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

I have a couple of Belamcanda chinensis sprouts from seed I wintersowed 11 May and the 19 November 2005 wintersowings are only just starting to sprout.
    Ian

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Sharon, mine are doing good this year again. Last year they bloomed in August for about a week maybe 2 weeks.

Shauna, yes, they are in a south facing bed by my front door. They definately get protection there and a bit more warmth from the foundation. So far I haven't mulched them at all. This past winter I was worried because of the lack of snowcover but they did fine.

Ang

• durtcom
    16 years ago

Did anyone's wintersown plants overwinter this year? Where did you plant and was protection used? I have some very healthy wintersowers that I am trying to decide where to put.

Thanks - Susan

• marricgardens
    16 years ago

I started mine from seed about 3 years ago. I planted it at our farm in Z5a. We have heavy clay soil that we amend constantly, harsh west winds in the winter and it get down to -25 some nights. My lily has survived without any protection. It's a good thing I like it so much because it reseeds everywhere! Marg

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine made the winter Susan, it's located on the west side of the garage in sandy/loamy soil. It's only about 5" tall so far.
    I did cover with dry straw at freeze up time.

Sharon

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Mine have been coming back reliably for the last few winters. All I've been doing is tossing some extra raked leaves on it before the snow falls and then keeping extra snow on it all winter. So far so good for a few years now. Mine are a good 12" tall (give or take) and looking good right now.

Ang

• durtcom
    16 years ago

Thanks for the updates. I have a protected spot that usually gets good snow cover that I think I will try planting mine in.

Susan

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County