Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beegood_gw

Well getting to the trees at last

beegood_gw
11 years ago

It's only a maple but what is next. They have no fear. The dogs are barking in the window and I was banging on the glass. Must be very hungry. As long as they stay away from the apples I can live with it.

Comments (5)

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Love that reddish/brown looking tail,.. there is hardly a apple tree of mine unpruned come spring. I usually prune them back anyway, it's the moose what do the damage.

A newly planted small tree can be harmful by them, I put a loop of 4' farm wire around so they can't reach the branches,.. for several years.

• northspruce
    11 years ago

We have had a few midnight visits from deer right in the middle of the city - I was thinking the same thing, they must be really hungry. They come up from the river here. We have a deep snow cover this year and it's been really cold.

The deer pruned my cedar but it's huge so they couldn't reach much, but I saw they've eaten the neighbours' nice little globe cedars right down to stumps!

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have only ever had one moose. On a summer day it came wandering up my driveway almost to the house then turned around and wandered off again. Slow as can be checking out the place.

• weeper_11
    11 years ago

What frustrates me the most is when they browse buy don't actually eat much. I find branches broken off but not eaten, they take a bite and then drop them because they aren't interested..but then they take another bite! "Bleh, that was gross, maybe this bite will taste better!" Grrr...

I absolutely must put little chichen wire fences around my young trees, in particular until their bark becomes..more bark-like and thick. This biggest problem for me isn't the "pruned" branches...the deer around here love to strip the young-ish bark off the trees, the peel off big pieces and I lost every single one of my ornamental trees to girdling before I started putting fences around them. I also drench them with a good commercial deer-spray in the late fall. It works fairly well for me and seems to last most of the winter. It needs to be put on pre-freeze, though. It only deter's them, though..the fence is the real life saver. I hope I can take them down someday, the deer don't bother the mature trees for the most part.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Yes, anything small and tender is more delicious.

Usually after the new year they start on the pine trees, they love the needles and can strip them pretty good,..keep an eye on these.