Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

I'm coming to visit

Joan Dupuis
15 years ago

...Calgary this summer. My daughter has been there for almost 3 years now, and this will be our first trip up. Timing it to see something of the Stampede, and hoping to visit several garden centres while I'm there. I've been told Holes near Edmonton, Wellington's and Greenland are must see places.

If there are a few nice garden centres (that carry roses and clematis) in the Calgary area, please let me know which ones. Would also love to get my hands on some of those beautiful Alstroemaria (Princess lilies) I've seen some of you post pics of. I am making a list of places to go, things to do while I'm there.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Joan

Comments (17)

• redpeony
    15 years ago

There are many nice greenhouses here in the Calgary area. Some of the ones that I like to go to are Sunnyside and Golden Acres.

As a Calgarian I would highly recommend that you take in the Chuckwagon and Grandstand show while you are here for the Stampede. Although the show is a bit pricey I guarantee that you will not be disappointed if you go. We have made it a family tradition to take the kids every year, and they are already asking if they get to go to see the show again this year! Luckily for us we already have the tickets in hand!

I hope that you have a wonderful visit while you are out west here.

Janet

• garden_chicken
    15 years ago

You should really try to take a quick trip south of the city to Vale's Greenhouse in Black Diamond. Really, really nice place with loads of plants! The demonstration gardens are wonderful too. And as a bonus, the view of the mountains makes it a very pretty drive in the country!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Joan, I have seen some local places here carry those Alstroemeria varieties. I could let you know what ones would are available and even take photos and hold any plants that you'd like ... unfortunately, I think they're rather on the expensive side ... but, probably more than worth it ...

Terry

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

If you are in Edmonton for a day or so , try and get to the Muttart Conservatory. Haven' been for some time and it was very impressive back then. I hear they have made some changes just last year and are reopening in spring 09. Maybe check out their website. Calgary and Edmonton both have great plant places to shop . My experience having lived in both cities: Edmonton has better prices Greenland has a great rose collection and you can also check out their web site for varieties for 2009.
    Enjoy!

Ginny Garden

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll be making notes of all the suggestions I get. Thanks to those who have responded so far.

Terry, yes I've heard that the alstroemaria are expensive, but some members, overwinter them in their basements and keep them for years. I'm interested in the shorder patio variety, burgendy in color preferrably.

I'll keep checking this thread.

Joan

• Pudge 2b
    15 years ago

My sister keeps telling me how beautiful and interesting the gardens at the Calgary Zoo are - I've yet to see them but hopefully one day soon I'll visit Calgary at the right time.

I went to the Muttart Conservatory once - I was about 16 and could've cared less about plants but I remember it was beautiful.

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

Re: Alstromeria....You want to find Oxanna then if you want a burgundy color Princess Lily.
    And yes they over winter great. All nine of mine are growing again.

Shelley

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thanks for the name of the burgendy Alstromeria Shelley. I'll need to get myself a small notebook (to fit in my purse) and put in all these comments so I'll have them handy while I'm there. I warned my DH and DD that I am planning several garden centre tours... didn't mention that I may be buying plants to bring back home with me. No need to pre-warn them about that small detail now is there? lol

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

Edwards in Calgary is well worth going to. They carry a pretty good selection of roses and clematis as well - and the only Buck rose for sale locally.

The zoo's conservatory is totally demolished to make way for a new one, but I think the outdoor portion is still around.

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I live just down the road from Greenland so if I know when you'll be there we can have a cup of coffee. They got a nice coffee bar as well as some snacks.Great place ,great staff .You will not be disappointed.

• bdgardener
    15 years ago

Hi, if you are planning to go for a drive, I agree that Vale's is a must see, ( I live just outside Black Diamond and spend alot of time there) and while on route there is also The Saskatoon Farm, just outside Okotoks. Great greenhouses and excellent place to stop for lunch. And if you would like to continue your trip there is another stop called The Station just west of a little town called Mossleigh about 40 min from Calgary 25-30min east if Okotoks. Have a great trip

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beegood, Terry (Twrosz) has offered to be my tour guide and Greenland is one of the places on the list. I really hope he meant it. lol. Would be fun to meet you people for a cup of coffee, and check out the plants.

Terry, one of our new nurseries says they plan to bring in 2 varieties of Alstromeria, but he didn't know which ones. I should know before my trip, so I may not need to bring one of those back. We'll see.

Shazam, thanks for your info on the zoo conservatory .

bdgardener, I'll add these to the list.

I probably won't be able to get to all of them, but will make a note of them all. Thanks

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    15 years ago

Beegood and any others who would be interested in getting together at Greenland (or Hole's or Wellington for that matter) it would be great to meet you and chum around for a bit. We'll keep you informed as the time approaches ...

Terry

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks.That would be great I think. I guess the reason I like Greenland is it's so close ,great selection and they have a nice coffee bar. But I am open to anyone of the three.Hope to see you then.

• glen3a
    15 years ago

If in Edmonton, don't forget the Devonian Botanical Garden, just a bit Southwest of the city. I was there ten years ago in fall and it was very nice.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

heading to Edmonton this morning to meet Terry and visit some greenhouses., Greenland is among them. Would be great is we met others.

Joan

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Was a very good visit with Joan, her husband and daughter ... good conversation and laughs were shared. Thankfully, the weather was very nice, although a bit windy at times. Unfortunately, time was short and the stops at the greenhouses were speedy!

Joan, I hope you shall again have the opportunity to visit. I'll take good care of your gift plants, thanks!

Terry and Norma

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County