Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dill as 'main' vegetable?

Posted by davidcalgary29 2b AB (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 10, 14 at 23:56

I was trying to explain the joys of dill to a picky five year-old the other day and wasn't getting far with the usual reasons: it's great with tomatoes; it smells nice; it's easy to grow. Finally, I told her that it 'tasted like summer', and she accepted that.
I love dill so much, in fact, that I don't want to use it as an herb, but as a steamed or raw vegetable. Does anyone know of a variety grown for its stalks instead of for the weed (fronds)? I'm hoping that someone can point me to something that is the Florence Fennel version of dill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dill as 'main' vegetable?

I see the cold snap has affected everyone!! LOL

Just kidding.

SCG

o

Seems dill is one of those "love it or hate it" herbs. My wife loves it in salads, on baked potatoes, etc. I like it as a spice for cucumber pickles only.

o

I've never heard of eating the stalks of dill, which is what it seems you may be suggesting. What is your source for this info?

I've only grown dill for culinary and decorative reasons and to attract predatory insects to the garden. A few years ago I bought a few different varieties which reseeded so I had many plants for awhile until I mulched heavily which decreased that. I may throw a few seeds around this spring as I like the look of dill even more than the flavor in food.

Couldn't resist taking a pic in the late afternoon with the sun on my dill - really lit it up!

dill in the sunset photo dillsunset.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: different varieties of dill

o

Geez, doesn't anyone else eat the stalks but me?

Surely someone must have bred a cultivar of dill with enlarged stalks...

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 8:40

Look for Fernleaf dill which was grown for by nurseries for the fronds. Richters herbs also has different varieties for that purpose but Fernleaf is usually found at nurseries or even Home Depot. Marg

o

you are not alone,
the turkish/eastern europeans use the stems in a variety of recipes

i would look for a turkish variety or a 'giant' variety that grows tall (like "mammoth")
fernleaf is somewhat of a dwarf, i think

o

i checked my seed catalogs,
and found william dam has a variety called 'bouquet'
it is a taller variety they list as 4' tall

(i have ordered seeds from them in the past
and been very pleased with germination and growth)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here