Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Box of Seeds

northspruce
16 years ago

Hi Far North Gardeners, we have a box of seeds going around as sort of an ongoing trade, and I thought I would post here to see who would be interested in participating. It's got a lot of good stuff in it - the idea is that you take what you want, put in any extras you might have, and mail it to the next person. Canadian gardeners only I'm afraid, I don't think it would slip through customs undetected.

If anyone wants a shot at it, please post here and we will make sure it gets around to you! Addresses can be sorted out privately.

Comments (150)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

Caleb said he would probably mail the box after the holidays. When i'm done with it, ill send it to Audrey who will send it to Rob. Heather, you can PM your address to Rob and he can send it to you.

I think there were some vegetable seeds in there, so i don't see a problem with putting in pepper seeds.

• beegood_gw
    15 years ago

I was going to sign up for the seeds but will be gone a lot of the summer so hate to plant stuff and then see it die. But thanks Heather for the reminder.

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

what a good and exiting idea.
    Count me in please. This could go on for ever.......

ladybug6a

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I would love to be able to participate! Please add me to the list. Really looking forward to it--love new seeds and love finding homes for the ones I am ready to pass on (as I already have them growing in the garden! :))

count me in :)
    gg

15 years ago

I'm still waiting for the box to arrive. It's probably stuck in the snow in Newfoundland! LOL Will let everyone know as soon as it arrives. :)

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

I was just thinking (don't laugh...it doesn't happen very often). It would be great if everyone that is participating in this "seed box" initiative, could make sure their wish list is up to date on their gardenweb profile. Maybe...just maybe...some of those items might get slipped into the box for when it comes your way :)

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

who is overseeing this exchange. I think I wrote to the wrong person.

ladybug6a

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

I don't think anyone is really responsible for "overseeing" it. It's just a continuation of a box that was circulating last year. I guess you could say we each have to take responsibility for communicating so everyone knows what's happening. I know Marcia was kind enough to get the ball rolling again, but I don't think it would be up to her to keep track of everyone.

I personally think we should post here when we've received a box and post again when we've remailed it on to the next person. Any other thoughts?

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

does anyone know who has the box? :) or who is next in line?
    new seeds are always exciting!!
    gg

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Calebr was supposed to be mailing to Marciaz3, then it would typically follow the order in which people signed up....

* Newine
    * Explorer_MB
    * Ladybug6a
    * Greylady-gardener

Marcia, does that look right to you? It might make the most sense to send to the person closest to your location, but I can't tell from the postings where everyone is at.

Would appreciate everyone elses thoughts on this.

Thanks....Heather

15 years ago

That looks right to me, Heather. Newine is near Barrie, Ontario. Maybe it could be circulated to those signed up in Southern Ontario first - Ladybug and Greylady, and then sent to Rob. From there it will probably work its way west as others sign up.

Still no word from Caleb. If we don't hear from him soon, we're going to send out the Mounties!

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about the status of the 'box of seeds' too, so I emailed Caleb tonight to see what's up... I think the holidays are safely behind us now...would just like to get the 'box' moving...hopefully something shows up to Marcia's soon...then onto Audrey... Btw, it's fine with me that the 'box of seeds' goes on to Ladybug and Greylady-gardener in Ontario first before mailing it to me in Manitoba... then I think Heather is next on the list...

Happy Gardening,
    Rob

15 years ago

Rob, i haven't heard back from Caleb yet. Hope all is well with him - maybe he's vacationing somewhere warm and will check in again once he's back to reality. :)

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

Wonderful, I am so exited to receive the box. I saved lots of unusual seeds. Is it beeing send through regular mail?

ladybug6a

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

I am really looking forward to it too!!
    I am okay with wherever I am on the list. I just want to be on it.:)
    gg

15 years ago

Ladybug, yes, it's just sent through the mail. That was why Caleb suggested waiting until the holidays were over. Still haven't heard from him, though.

• willow_2007
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone

I would love to join in the Box of Seeds Exchange, as I am pumped for a 2nd year of winter sowing (it takes the mind to a sunnier place).
    I city garden in Ottawa, Ontario during the school year and cottage garden during the summer in northern Quebec. May I put my name after greylady_gardner?
    thanks wendy

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Just checking to see if anyone has heard from Caleb?

• Shanta_5
    15 years ago

Hello ,

I would like to join this groups for the big Box of seeds that passing around. Please let me know if is okay and
    email some one my address thank Looking to it.

Shanta

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

I haven't gotten a reply from Caleb...

Rob

15 years ago

I emailed him again tonight. All our mail can't be going into his junk file! I hope all is well with him and that he's just been busy or something. But there are a lot of us who would really like to get going on this, so i hope he sends it soon.

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

Maybe we should send the police after him? Is that not consitered theft, if you keep something that is not yours?
    I was looking forward to a box of seeds, it would have been fun.....

ladybug6a

15 years ago

I guess just about anything could have happened. Hopefully it's nothing serious and Caleb can get back to us soon. Maybe if someone else has a bunch of extra seeds, we could get another box started. I don't have an excess, or i would.

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

I have started a tomato seed round robin and a separate pepper seed round robin in the other forum. Not sure if anyone here is interested in participating in that. You're more than welcome to join in.

I've given away most of my extras (flowers etc) to the newbies on my regular newbie offering that I've been doing, so I don't have enough to fill a box.

I emailed Caleb again tonight (my second email in a couple of weeks). I do hope he answers.

Thanks....Heather

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

Thank you Heather for the offer. I am in on a RR for P and A.I will not need additional tomato or pepper seeds. There are some favorites, that I have for many years.
    When the RR is done I will have plenty of seeds left, I believe.
    You are a nice person Marcia, believing only in the good.

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Since this may be a dead RR, then I have a suggestion.
    What do you think of holding off until later in the summer, when seed collecting is at its' prime. Then when we are collecting and drying seeds, we could pack them up in large packs/envelopes/baggies, etc, of each kind of seed and then someone--I would be happy to do it, could be the one that we all send our seeds to. I would then pack them all up in a box and start it off.

Let me know what you think. :)
    gg

15 years ago

Yes, i'm sure that by the end of the summer just about all of us will have extra seeds, and can start a new box. I think the way it started in the first place was Sharon sending out a bunch of her extra seeds to someone who then started passing them along and opened up the project to everyone. However we decide to do it, i think it's a good idea to try and keep it going. We can pick up a lot of seeds for the $10 or so that it costs to mail the box, and have fun besides.

Thanks for the offer, Greylady. :)

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Marciaz3, I really hope to be able to continue the box. I know that I let a lot of seeds go because I can have such an abundance on the plants in the garden and couldn't possibly use them or even hope to trade them so they go to waste. I hate doing that so thought that this would be the perfect solution-- big bags of seeds to send around so that others could enjoy them also, though I still do hope that the original box begins the rounds again. :)

gg

• northernflwr
    15 years ago

I'd be interested if this is still going around. Thanks :)

15 years ago

Northerflwr, no one has heard from the guy who has the seeds so we're beginning to think that the project has ended with him. If we get the box back, we'll start it up again, but if not, we'll start a new one in the fall.

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

If this gets started again I would be interested also.
    I don't have lots of seeds right now but later in summer/fall will keep some of the better ones.
    Kathy

15 years ago

Well, people, it looks like we're back in business! I heard from Caleb today and he has mailed the box. Better late than never, i guess. :)

The list looks like this so far:
    Me
    Newine
    Rob
    Heather
    Ladybug
    Greylady
    Wendy
    Shanta
    Northernflower
    Kathy Grower

I have Newine's address and will send it to her if she's still interested, and it will go on from there. Post here if you've either decided not to do this or if you still want to. Please remember to date your seed packages this time around. Oh, and because it's late in the season, we should try for a short turnaround time with the box.

Now we just have to wait on Canada Post!

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Great news. I'm still in.

Thanks....Heather

• newine_gw
    15 years ago

Wonderful!!!Yes I would still like to see the box of seeds...I waited the better part of the winter for it...I am not about to drop out now.Newine

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Marcia,

Do you think we should start a new thread for this so northspruce doesn't have to be bombarded with our updates?

Thanks....Heather

• kathy_h_grower
    15 years ago

Heather
    You have my address. Should I send it to someone else, as I still want to be included.
    Kathy

15 years ago

Heather, i was thinking of doing a "Box of Seeds, Pt. 2", but then Gil wouldn't be constantly reminded of the forum! I know she's been busy with her baby and now going back to work, but she told me on Facebook that she fully intended to come back and post, so every time she gets one of these emails, she'll remember!

Sorry, Gil! :> This thread will reach its limit fairly soon!

• willow_2007
    15 years ago

Hi
    I am still interested :)
    Thanks wendy

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

good to see this has been started up again!! hurray!!
    I am still mast definitely interested, so count me in please. :-)
    gg

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Hi Kathy_h_grower,

I think you should email your address to the person immediately before you on the list (Northernflwr). I am not hosting, just participating like you...so that's probably the easiest.

Thanks....Heather

• Shanta_5
    15 years ago

Hello all

Okay hurray!!
    I am still most definitely interested, so count me in please and thank you.
    Shanta

• explorer_mb
    15 years ago

Hi all...

I'm not so interested anymore.. sorry to say... Caleb killed my interest in the 'box'... don't really beleive what his excuse is... that's pretty much BS... he knew he was supposed to send the 'box' on, but that didn't happen... just delete my name and send the 'box' onto the next person please... I've got way too many daylily seedlings to worry about anyways.. my first priority.. lol..
    Rob

• celtic_07
    15 years ago

Hi everyone I would like to suggest that we start a new list of recievers come fall. Then as greylady gardener has so kindly volunteered to do the collecting for us and start the sending process, we could start over. I would like to join then not now.How is everyone knowing who they are to send to? I have lots more seeds than I can use.most of the time---How are they being packaged and what quantity?

Lois

15 years ago

Lois, as the box goes around, we add seeds to it, so we wouldn't have to start again. Once you receive the box, you'll see how it's done. :) We have just added seeds in any quantity - parts of packages or small baggies of seeds that you collected, whatever we have that's extra. You can tell who to send it on to by the posts here - first come, first serve!

As i mentioned before, this time we should all date our packages, and try to keep the box going as quickly as possible.

15 years ago

Here we go, folks! The box finally arrived today and it is jam-packed with seeds! LOL I've chosen from it and am working on additions. I know i said we should have a short turn-around time on this, but this is a busy week and i might not make it to the Post Office again until Saturday - and even still, it won't go out until Monday. I'll do my best, though. :)

The only person on the list that we haven't heard from is Ladybug. Heather, maybe you could email her and see if she's still interested. If not, you would send it on to Greylady.

I forgot to check how close this thread is to the limit. I'll start a new one - having pity on Gil! LOL

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Great news Marcia. Can't wait.

I just emailed Ladybug and asked her to post here to let everyone know whether or not she's still interested in participating.

Thanks....Heather

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Hey Marcia,

Just checking in to see if you were able to mail the box on Saturday as you had hoped?

Thanks....Heather

15 years ago

Sorry - i forgot to post about it. The box went out on Monday, so Newine should get it tomorrow, maybe, depending on how fast Canada Post can go. And hopefully that's faster than it took to come from Newfoundland! LOL

• hmacdona1
    15 years ago

Great news. Thanks for the update Marcia.

15 years ago

Hey, Gil - this thread is finally full! :)

Everyone please note that there's a sequel thread to this one, so continue to post about the Box of Seeds on that one.