Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Saskatoons you grow?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 1:33

OK...another of the Canadian prairie fruits we can grow nicely and equal in value then chokecherries I think, perhaps more useful, surely, allot easier to eat out of hand!

I have a nice native, growing wild on my hobby farm, ...will be planting some others, like Honeywood, [late flowering], this one could set fruit when others fail, due to frost at flowering time, Lee 3 should be good also, ..less seedy!

What do you grow, can you please tell me a little, also time of bloom & ripening.

Native, old picture, don't have date, not so crucial with Saskatoon since they ripen early in July, perhaps more important would be when they flower.
 photo IMG_9153_1_1_1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Saskatoons you grow?

I planted 4 varieties over 20 years ago, the only one I remember is Smoky, not sure of the others.. maybe Regent, Northline... maybe not. Smoky is the only one I like, the others I don't even pick... one is too sour, the other two I just find rather tasteless. Sometimes I come across tasty wild saskatoons, but I still find them not up to Smoky in taste, and they definitely have smaller berries, although maybe in a garden setting the berries would be larger.

All my saskatoons flower around the same time. Frost has never been an issue since there's never been a year where they haven't had a good fruit set. Maybe frost would be a concern outside the city where night temperatures can be colder?

o

Thanks Don!
Good to know you like Smoky.
Yes, pollination can be a issue out in the country when nights get cold.
I have been going to places along rivers and lake for many years to pick, ..when some years I go there with disappointment, to find all bushes virtually empty!

o

Well,...got a little Honeywood plant in last fall.
Grafted Northline about a week ago, this one supposed to be tangy,...didn't know that "any" of them can be tangy, ..think I like that!
Grafted Lee 3 last year,..looking forward to compare seed ratio.

Anybody growing JB-30? good size and juicy! looking for a plant!

o

I wanted to add this pdf list

Here is a link that might be useful: Saskatoons

o

Those two "Lee" varieties look very interesting from that pdf. Ah well, no room for them anyway.

o

Spent a long time going over old garden notes and trying to figure out what saskatoons I planted and when. Turns out the 4 varieties I put in (in 1997) were Regent, Smoky, Northline, and Thiessen. The Regent I found terribly bland and eventually I removed them and put in more Smoky.

I'm pretty certain the Northline are the ones I find too sour, but I'm very sensitive to sour so if you like tang, Konrad, you'll find it in Regent. Can't recall what I think of the Thiessen, I think my complaint on it is low fruit production but I can't think now what it tastes like. (It has extremely low fruit production now as it is now in deep shade, but even before the shade crept over it I recall it being a very poor producer).

o

Thank you Don for this help!
I followed your advise and got a Smoky plant today.

o

Got to taste some berries from the Smoky, ..just in time, half the birds ate already, a little bland for my taste but not bad,..the Northline I grafted this spring and some berries formed, covered them up. The Honey wood is ripening also.

Have some native bushes, one I covered up a bit against bird
losses.

o

Konrad, let us know what varieties you like the best. I had grown lots of 'Smoky' on the farm and liked them quite a bit, though have not tried 'Northline' or 'Honeywood'.

o

Will do,

Have any of you heard of this,...Amelanchier species weigandii??

See this translated French link, bottom,
Saskatoon, Isaac 26gr. WOW..very sweet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Végétolab Inc.

o

Tonight I picked 3 1/2 kg of one bush of my best native Saskatoon,..nice juice and sweet with a lovely flavor, found it better then Honeywood.

o

one more..

o

There are still lots of places along rivers and lakes where one can pick their needs in no time.
Among 3 of us, we picked 6.5 kg. in only 1- 1/2 hour.
These were exceptionally sweet, [15.6 brix] perhaps
because of all day sun?

o

Konrad, I am a bit jealous of those wonderful saskatoons of yours! I have a few decent wild bushes in my yard, though have not seen many growing along the roadsides where I now live. We used to pick tons back on the farm and near Sangudo where there was some really awesome patches.

o

Tonight I've picked a hand full of another small wild bush, [covered up], seems like a later ripening one, nice size, still, some not fully ripe, but boy, they are sweeet and juicy!

I'm pretty sure, our vast wilderness has still some nice berries yet to be discovered. Please get out and explore!

o

I have Martin, Smoky, and Northline. I think Northline and Martin are supposed to be very similar. I like them all! I really need to start covering them as soon as they have fruit, because the birds have eaten basically all the berries already. So far, I've found Northline to be the most vigorous of my bushes. Maybe that is because I bought them bare root, though? The others were all grown in pots.

o

>>I've found Northline to be the most vigorous of my bushes<<

I grafted Northline this spring,...came to the same conclusion,
most vigorous!

Yes,..covering up with row cover is a simple way to go about if you don't want to make a frame structure to hang netting over.
NO-tangling of netting! NO-killing birds!
In commercial production, netting might be the better solution.

Found row cover over the Honeyberry is a good way to keep fruits on longer, bushes get less of a shake in the wind and you can keep berries on longer.

This is a wild bush covered up with row cover, tied together with binder clips.

o

>>Tonight I've picked a hand full of another small wild bush, [covered up], seems like a later ripening one, nice size, still, some not fully ripe, but boy, they are sweeet and juicy! <<

Picked them yesterday,..only had a couple of hands full,..this heat we've been heaving drove them beyond ripe,..started to shrivel up, [full sun] nevertheless, they had more juice coming out of them, [for brix test]..then the ones picked in the bush. They seemed to be sweeter, [wife and me agreed] but the test showed about the same. The reason being, when eating them, juice is more readily coming out and mouth is faster drenched, making it feel sweeter.

Conclusion,...not the berry I want to grow because this one had more, and or bigger seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here