Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Saskatoons you grow?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 1:33

OK...another of the Canadian prairie fruits we can grow nicely and equal in value then chokecherries I think, perhaps more useful, surely, allot easier to eat out of hand!

I have a nice native, growing wild on my hobby farm, ...will be planting some others, like Honeywood, [late flowering], this one could set fruit when others fail, due to frost at flowering time, Lee 3 should be good also, ..less seedy!

What do you grow, can you please tell me a little, also time of bloom & ripening.

Native, old picture, don't have date, not so crucial with Saskatoon since they ripen early in July, perhaps more important would be when they flower.
 photo IMG_9153_1_1_1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Saskatoons you grow?

I planted 4 varieties over 20 years ago, the only one I remember is Smoky, not sure of the others.. maybe Regent, Northline... maybe not. Smoky is the only one I like, the others I don't even pick... one is too sour, the other two I just find rather tasteless. Sometimes I come across tasty wild saskatoons, but I still find them not up to Smoky in taste, and they definitely have smaller berries, although maybe in a garden setting the berries would be larger.

All my saskatoons flower around the same time. Frost has never been an issue since there's never been a year where they haven't had a good fruit set. Maybe frost would be a concern outside the city where night temperatures can be colder?

o

Thanks Don!
Good to know you like Smoky.
Yes, pollination can be a issue out in the country when nights get cold.
I have been going to places along rivers and lake for many years to pick, ..when some years I go there with disappointment, to find all bushes virtually empty!

o

Well,...got a little Honeywood plant in last fall.
Grafted Northline about a week ago, this one supposed to be tangy,...didn't know that "any" of them can be tangy, ..think I like that!
Grafted Lee 3 last year,..looking forward to compare seed ratio.

Anybody growing JB-30? good size and juicy! looking for a plant!

o

I wanted to add this pdf list

Here is a link that might be useful: Saskatoons

o

Those two "Lee" varieties look very interesting from that pdf. Ah well, no room for them anyway.

o

Spent a long time going over old garden notes and trying to figure out what saskatoons I planted and when. Turns out the 4 varieties I put in (in 1997) were Regent, Smoky, Northline, and Thiessen. The Regent I found terribly bland and eventually I removed them and put in more Smoky.

I'm pretty certain the Northline are the ones I find too sour, but I'm very sensitive to sour so if you like tang, Konrad, you'll find it in Regent. Can't recall what I think of the Thiessen, I think my complaint on it is low fruit production but I can't think now what it tastes like. (It has extremely low fruit production now as it is now in deep shade, but even before the shade crept over it I recall it being a very poor producer).

o

Thank you Don for this help!
I followed your advise and got a Smoky plant today.

o

Got to taste some berries from the Smoky, ..just in time, half the birds ate already, a little bland for my taste but not bad,..the Northline I grafted this spring and some berries formed, covered them up. The Honey wood is ripening also.

Have some native bushes, one I covered up a bit against bird
losses.

o

Konrad, let us know what varieties you like the best. I had grown lots of 'Smoky' on the farm and liked them quite a bit, though have not tried 'Northline' or 'Honeywood'.

o

Will do,

Have any of you heard of this,...Amelanchier species weigandii??

See this translated French link, bottom,
Saskatoon, Isaac 26gr. WOW..very sweet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Végétolab Inc.

o

Tonight I picked 3 1/2 kg of one bush of my best native Saskatoon,..nice juice and sweet with a lovely flavor, found it better then Honeywood.

o

one more..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here