Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

wheelbarrow flowers and other spring ideas

canadian_rose
17 years ago

I went to an antique store today and bought a small rusted wheelbarrow. The kids are going to paint it bright blue and red this spring and we're going to plant annuals in the barrow. My husband will drill holes.

I've already got a large wheelbarrow on the hill that had beautiful annuals in them. They really made my backyard look great in the middle of my perennials.

This smaller wheelbarrow will go on my deck (when my husband builds it this spring), and we'll move it around to follow the sun.

I've also got a clay pig this winter (antique store) that stands on its haunches holding an enmpty, shallow container. I'm going to plant moss or something in there that doesn't need a large root space (any ideas?).

We're also going to get into composting (twisted my husband's arm metaphorically) this summer, so we're going to Lee Valley and get those hinge things that holds the 2x4s (?). The hinges hold the wood at an angle allowing air to circulate. This better work or my husband will lose faith in my omnipotence!!! LOL

Carol

Comments (11)

• gardengirlcs
    17 years ago

I have an old lobster trap that I plan on placing near my pond. I intend on growing some german ivy in it. I think it will look unique!

• glen3a
    17 years ago

I had this heavy frosted glass vase sitting in the laundry room collecting dust, so put it outside and threw a tuberous begonia in it. I had to watch how much I watered the plant (no drainage holes) but it was kind of unique. This year I found a small metal vase that was in the clearance section after Christmas, so I may try to use that.

As for a plant that doesn't need much space for roots, perhaps "hens and chicks"? If the ornament is clay it might constantly dry out so you might like something that's drought tolerant. Else, portulaca may do well too.

I bought this small clay "half pot" from the dollarama. It's like a small clay pot but cut in half with a flat side so you can hang it on a fence. Sort of great to use in an area where to want some color, but no room for a bracket and hanging basket.

I wasn't sure what to plant in such a small pot, but portulaca worked very well. I had to water it daily during hot weather and the pot fell apart when I tried to empty the soil in the fall, but for a buck I couldn't complain.

Glen

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Carol, I love collecting old junk too and displaying them in the garden. When we moved to this property the previous owners left an old wheelbarrow behind, I was ecstatic!
    I have old whiskey barrels, wagon wheels, creamers, horseshoes, potato driller, water pump, old pots and pans, even bed pans and chamber pails. LOL

Here is a photo from last season.
    {{gwi:9663}}

I agree with Glen, for those small containers, plant Hen & Chicks, they thrive in anything, Portulaca and Mesembryanthemum Ice Plant is ideal too.

Composting is good; your plants are going to love you for it and its addicting too, you wouldn't believe the pile of coffee/filter grinds I've collected over the winter from my workplace! The coworkers think IÂm crazy taking my ice cream pails home every other day, but I donÂt care, I just keep reminding myself that IÂll have the best roses in town ;)

Sharon

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

I have a ladder that i used last summer to hold small containers of million bells, and three old teapots and a cookie jar that lost its lid that i used for small annuals. My husband found an old metal milk container somewhere, but the top is all bashed in. He said he could fix it - i'll have to take him up on that this spring. A friend of mine has offered to paint it. She painted a galvanized tub last summer and it turned out quite well.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon - that looks so pretty!!!

I had to look up portulaca on the internet. Says it thrives in hot dry areas. Sounds perfect - and it flowers!

Hens and chicks!! I never would have thought of that! That would be quite nice and would fit in with the clay feeling.

Marcia - it sounds wonderful - lucky you to have a friend who can paint!!!

A lobster trap - sounds great!

It's fun to get so excited about our hobby! Life is good!

Carol

17 years ago

This is one side of the container. She did an excellent job. I gave her lots of plants for this one! :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

That is beautiful Marcia!

Check out this shower pond, waterbed pond and a bathtub pond.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden junk ponds/water gardens

17 years ago

I'm thinking i could do something really spectacular with old junk vehicles and snowmachines.... :>

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

LOL Marcia!! I threatened to grow ivy over a couple of junk cars in our yard! It took a few years, but they finally got dragged out. :0)

17 years ago

Some of the vehicles have disappeared already. The worst one was this old yellow emergency van that graced the east side of the house. I hated that thing! The only old truck actually in the yard right now holds the tank for water in the summer, so i can't complain too much about it.:) Most of the other stuff is down in the area behind the vegetable garden and the undergrowth hides it fairly well in the summer.

A few years ago, dh left a snowmachine sled on the grass, so (on the advice of his mother, even) i loaded it up with containers!

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I have quite a few "junk" containers. The planters in front of my step include a old Maytag washer, a cream separator, cream can, 4 washtubs, a kerosene can, and a couple of old pails and canners. My shade planter is an old galvanized bathtub. I used to have a mortar mixing tub, but it fell apart. My "normal" planters are two half barrels and 4 12" green plastic pots. Aside from a little cement deer and the 7 dwarves, all my garden decorations are old farm equipment and garden equipment, and neat shaped "stuff". There's also some driftwood, rocks, a horse skull, and a buffalo skull. My collection is probably a bit tacky, but it suits our old farm. My birdbath is an antique forge with a plastic dish in it.
    I'm trying to convince DH that an old water tank or two would look really good beside the garage. He's thinking more along the lines of wooden two level planter, which will never get built - I've been waiting 8 years for a patio.
    Connie