beegood_gw

Will this ever end!

beegood_gw
13 years ago

Yesterday across the road

Comments (29)

• don555
    13 years ago

Haha.... so much for animals having a special sense about the seasons!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

It's sure discouraging,isn't it? :(

• northspruce
    13 years ago

We also have geese and no exposed grass yet. I wonder what the heck they're eating...

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Bare ground and open water ... by the way the forecast is looking, it could possibly be almost May before the snow is gone!

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

Im still hoping for the 9 degrees they are still promising for Thursday. Geese, Bald Eagles and gophers can't all be wrong. The ducks are swimming in the run off from our corrals, yuk, all you farmers know what that means.

At this point I'm thinking I'm pretty smart for starting all my annuals inside. I still have 5 ft drifts in most on my beds.

I sunk up to my thighs yesterday when I went to dump my compost bucket.

C

• savona
    13 years ago

I like the picture, smart geese get your feet out of the snow and onto a bale of hay. I think the title for owning "zone brr" will have to go to some of you. We have had several days of +10 and better weather here and I am seeing the snow go quickly now. We have swans flying over head and went to look at a local spot where a river comes out of a lake where there is open water and there were swans but no geese, ducks or puddle ducks.Our over night lows have been better then some years when it has been an earlier spring....Jean

• mytime
    13 years ago

What a great picture!
    I went out to take the top layer off the compost pile this morning to help it thaw---it's already thawed!

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

I can see patches of pasture!!!!!! and the cows have wandered away from the feeder. Now is the time for them to start having calves!! I can also see part of a new bed that was put in last fall, yippee.

The only bad thing is you need a 4x4 to get up our driveway. come on spring. C

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Snowing now here. :( Starting tomorrow, it's a 4 letter word!

• mamahoohoo
    13 years ago

We're JUST at the melty point here, but even then it goes pretty fast - on the north side of the streets where the sun actually shines. LOL
    The difference between the north side and south side is so striking right now. Bare lawns with a few spots of snow on one side, 3 feet of snow with huge snowbanks where it was shovelled on the other side. I'll have to keep that in mind for future house hunting.

• savona
    13 years ago

It has kept melting here and hayfields are coming out of the snow. Every low place in the hayfields has run off water and its share of swans and now geese. No ducks or puddle ducks yet. Several of my flowerbeds are out of the snow, it does feel like spring out there. Now to just get rid of the deer and moose that are coming to our hayshed to eat. The deer are now pawing on the lawn and digging in the flowerbeds...gggrrr. The deer bounce off when our big dog is out but he doesnt seem to even annoy the moose they just ignor him...Jean

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Great shot!....there is tons of hay out here too and every year allot
    of it gets wasted....how come they don't take it in after bailing?

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Yesterday, I had needed to walk through the backyard ... in one place I had sunk deep down into the snow halfway up my thigh! Today, despite the temperature making it up to +8 C the wind was chilly and for a good part of the day I could see my breath. I sure hope for much warmer conditions, as it is now the snow is melting very slowly here in the country. I know the benefit of a slow melt, though by the way it's going, it's gonna be weeks before any bare ground is showing and make for one late start to spring! I usually have the water lilies placed in the pond about this time, though this will definitely be the lastest ever.

Terrance

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Yeah...I was out checking my honeybees,.. still not flying, if I can walk on top of the snow it's a funny feeling....your'e seeing everything from about 3 foot up, and
    if you fall from sinking in it's hard to get up.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

I think we are all due for a really summer this year. I don't remember a winter with so much snow and no chinooks. We are suppose to have plus temps all week too, so hope most of the snow will go. My son want to have a easter egg hunt for his birthday on the 23rd, at this rate I might have to find some of the kids out in the field never mind the eggs. C

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I heard double digits by the week end. So things are finally looking up. Creek below the house is open which is always a good sign. Chipmunks shud be out any day now.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Please don't send your double digits to Saskatchewan.

Did I just say that?

With the amount of snow we have, flooding would be most likely a big problem if we had weather that warm.

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

Geez I was feeling bad about the six fresh inches of heavy wet snow we got last night when most of the lawn had been showing...until I read this thread. Ouch! That is a wonderful picture Beegood!

• Konrad___far_north
    13 years ago

Oh No....
    how do you like gophers around already

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yep they are every where. Even road kill. Poor guys live all winter in a dark hole and splat when they come up for fresh air or visit a cousin across the road. Oh well I'm sure there are lots more out there.

• macky77
    13 years ago

Wonderful photo of the geese and bales!

Hope you don't mind me joining the thread... just found this forum. :) We're rural, east of Saskatoon a ways.

I sure hope there's an end to this winter in sight and Mother Nature isn't just screwing with us. *sigh* Cooled off today, but we had quite a breeze going out there... lots of melting, but not nearly as much run-off as we feared (yay)! We desperately need to reclaim the parts of our yard that have flooded these past few of years.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

Welcome to the Far North Gardening forum.

I've seen your name on the vegetable forum recently.

• beegood_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Doesn't look like it will. More snow today. How sad is that. Even the farmers here are saying " Enuff already". Then we know for sure we need a change.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

More snow here too, just about to head out and put straw down for the poor calves. I've had enough and so have they. C

• macky77
    13 years ago

Nutsaboutflowers, your memory is impressive... I don't have time to post on the site in general very often. :)

Not so cheery about the snow falling over here either. I'm so sick of snow I could just cry. Having a five-year-old who jumps up and down excitedly every time she looks out and it's snowing doesn't help AT ALL.

Bdgardener, the in-laws have calves coming left, right and centre over here, too. Every time I think of snow and calves I get an image of those little guys with the earmuffs on when it's frigid cold. Too cute!

• savona
    13 years ago

I'd like to give you all hope. The snow is off the garden now except one small patch in a sheltered spot and Enviroment Canada is predicting +16 for Saturday in our area(center of B.C.)Winter's back is broken here.Our daytimes highs have been cooler then averages for this time of year but the over night lows haven't been too bad.Soon this discouraging spring will be just a bad memory....Jean

• xtreme_gardener
    13 years ago

I hope your weather moves north, Jean! The forecast up here keeps changing but this morning looks promising and clear despite -13 degrees last night. We were melting really good a week or more ago then got slammed with over a foot of snow. So back to square one and the snow is stil over my knees where its not drifted.

The birds are still coming north though, which I find a little wierd. We had a huge flock of swans fly over yesterday, a robin showed up 2 days ago and a few different hawks have been around for a couple weeks now. The 2 geese have stuck around right through the bad weather...so I guess there's hope.

The deer and moose are having a tough time though, especially now with a crust over deep snow they're pretty vulnerable.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Not out of the woods yet! We had a little more snow this past week. The end of next week is looking more promising though. Fingers - crossed.

Becky

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

FINALLY GOOD WEATHER IN CALGARY!!! SORRY FOR YELLING BUT MY GOD IT'S BEEN SO EXCRUCIATING THIS YEAR.